Author Topic: 2018 Trip Reports  (Read 75776 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 Trip Reports
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2018, 10:55:51 AM »
I noticed that as well. BBQ&Bluegrass is pretty weak this year, which is sad for me as it's my favorite festival by far. Going on ACE weekend I might have missed a lot of the good performances though.

I miss when they had a couple extra local BBQ stands that came in. That place that was in Aurora was really nice, though I think they closed up. SDC's BBQ can be decent, but I'm not a huge fan of the weirder stuff they've been pushing. I like my BBQ simple.

I had the same feelings/thoughts when i was there. 
I thought maybe I was being too criticle with all the TT hype and rebuilding the walkway.  Just expected more from the festival in general.. 
I liked what I saw, And i thought it was intereisting the "windmill" decorations all around the park that related to TT

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2018, 06:10:07 PM »
Yup, I have to agree with Sand and Shave.  The music is great, but they may as well call just call it The Bluegrass Festival.  I miss the sauce tasting and the bbq tools that were marketed.  I ran into a guy that was featuring a few different ways to bbq last year, demonstrating with mini lessons, and had samples of brisket, tri tip, pork, etc.  He said the guy that worked for their store was from Kansas - they hire him a few times a year to give lessons.  They hired him for the festival this year, checked out why they weren't being invited back by the City and was told they were no longer doing anything with vendors.  I wonder if that means Kent Rollins won't be back during the Fall cowboy days.

Did anyone notice the lights are now left on at the Opera House and Riverfront Theatre? Neither hubs or I remembered them being left on during the performance before.  They are dimmed, but definitely on.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 06:12:24 PM by Gilligan »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2018, 07:15:31 PM »
It must depend on the performer.  They were definitely off for Rhonda Vincent
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2018, 09:16:07 PM »

I wonder if that means Kent Rollins won't be back during the Fall cowboy days.

DONT even say that!!   LOL.  That guy is great!  I love his stories.....

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2018, 01:23:26 PM »
I just checked the Fall schedule and Kent Rollins will be back.  In fact, you can join him and Buck Taylor for a dinner at the Culinary School on select dates for $160 a couple.  Yikes! That's a bit steep for 2 hrs. of entertainment.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2018, 08:09:04 PM »
I just checked the Fall schedule and Kent Rollins will be back.  In fact, you can join him and Buck Taylor for a dinner at the Culinary School on select dates for $160 a couple.  Yikes! That's a bit steep for 2 hrs. of entertainment.

I try to talk to Buck Taylor every season and have purchased several of his prints,  what a great talent!!

But 160 for dinner with either one? sorry no thank you. I can get 160 worth of conversation talking or listening to either one in his booth/camp ground... ;D

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2018, 08:49:18 AM »
Yeahbut, the people who can afford his original paintings call that kind of money pocket change.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2018, 09:19:58 AM »
Yeahbut, the people who can afford his original paintings call that kind of money pocket change.

LOL.  That may be true,  But I probably will never know.. ;D

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2018, 08:47:48 PM »
Finally made it to the park today for my first visit of the year. Hot, muggy day that made shows even more attractive.  Time Traveler was a walk on when we rode it in the afternoon. Wife and daughter walked right around and rode it again.  Not really my kind of coaster.  I can say I rode it though. Didn't seem very crowded to me today. A lot of rides were walk ons.  Guess the heat kept some folks away.  As others have said, FM looked nice but still no music. Went to PK first as it is my favorite. No surprise, it didn't open on time. Was saddened to see how much they have stripped back the craft demonstrations.  Cedric mentioned this is their last year.  Said it wasn't their choice and wasn't happy about it. But, his show wasn't real crowded and several people left during it.  Be interesting to see what they will replace it with.  Guess we'll go back tomorrow and try again.  Mike Huckabee is taping his tv show there tomorrow at 11 in the Oprea House. Several locals gonna be performing on the show including the Haygoods and Presley's among others. Might have to check that out.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2018, 08:59:54 PM »
Finally made it to the park today for my first visit of the year. Hot, muggy day that made shows even more attractive.  Time Traveler was a walk on when we rode it in the afternoon. Wife and daughter walked right around and rode it again.  Not really my kind of coaster.  I can say I rode it though. Didn't seem very crowded to me today. A lot of rides were walk ons.  Guess the heat kept some folks away.  As others have said, FM looked nice but still no music. Went to PK first as it is my favorite. No surprise, it didn't open on time. Was saddened to see how much they have stripped back the craft demonstrations.  Cedric mentioned this is their last year.  Said it wasn't their choice and wasn't happy about it. But, his show wasn't real crowded and several people left during it.  Be interesting to see what they will replace it with.  Guess we'll go back tomorrow and try again.  Mike Huckabee is taping his tv show there tomorrow at 11 in the Oprea House. Several locals gonna be performing on the show including the Haygoods and Presley's among others. Might have to check that out.

USmell Smoke, tickets are required to get into the Opera House.  Not sure if they're still available, but they are free minus a $1 processing fee.

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 11, 2018, 09:16:37 PM »
Did not know that.  Thanks for the "heads up" Gilligan.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 09:18:39 PM by U Smell Smoke »

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2018, 09:22:28 PM »
Here's your link - definitely not the easiest thing to find on their website.

https://store.silverdollarcity.com/tickets/buy-tickets.aspx?specialofferid=HUCKABEE

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 12, 2018, 09:03:28 PM »
Today was a great day to be at the city as they celebrated Law Enforcement Day.  If you were lucky, you had tickets to see Mike Huckabee filming his show at the Opera House. That was a very cool experience, and the entertainment was great with appearances by The Haygoods, Moe Bandy, Irish Tenor, Tony Orlando, Dino (carrot cake guy), the Presleys, and the new Governor of Missouri, Mike Parson.  The Governor was a real surprise that wasn't announced earlier. It took about 2 1/2 hrs. to film, and I loved watching it play out.  A very cool experience! Cell phones had to remain off and no photography, so I don't really have any photos.

After the show, we went over the Riverfront to see the K-9 demo. There was a short delay because...they were awaiting the arrival of Huckabee and the Herschends! They each spoke for a few minutes thanking all the law enforcement officers.  After the demo, there was an ice cream social that I believe was meant for law enforcement and families, but I think nearly everyone walking by had ice cream.  All in all, it was a very good day at the City today.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 09:08:59 PM by Gilligan »

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 12, 2018, 10:13:09 PM »
It was a great day at the city as Gilligan said.  We were fortunate enough to get in to see the Huckabee taping and I really enjoyed that.  The entertainment was great and I am anxious to see the two episodes that come out of the taping.  I think the first one airs the weekend before the 4th of July. That would be June 30 and July 1.  The second episode would be the next weekend.  There will be interviews with the Herschends plus features on the Saloon show, the Culinary School, Time Traveler and the dog show from the various intros they recorded. Will be great publicity for SDC and Branson.   The park was not that crowded today.  One employee told me they had about 7,000. Not much of a wait for most rides.  Wife and daughter basically walked on Time Traveler multiple times.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 10:17:13 PM by U Smell Smoke »

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 12, 2018, 10:31:52 PM »
U Smell Smoke, so glad to hear you made it!  I actually thought of you as we were entering, and I heard one of the ushers tell another that if there were any seats left after 10:30, they would fill them with visitors that didn't have tickets. I loved it and can't wait for it to air. I think you are right about the dates, and it's on TBN Sat. night 8/7C time. I just googled it, and apparently it's also on Sun. nights, and you can watch current episodes online on the TBN site, so yay! It will be interesting to see it after edits.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 10:38:42 PM by Gilligan »