Author Topic: 2018 Trip Reports  (Read 75771 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 Trip Reports
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2018, 07:34:22 AM »
I'd be curious to hear the total numbers for today.  I assume it was high but not record levels.  The crowd has nothing to do but ride rides right now.
I have stayed away this year thus far because of this very reason.  Each year I go early in the season I note the lack of greenery, the crowds and the lack of anything else to do but stand in line.  Even on the weekends when they know they will be busy you would think they would have some outside music or something, the city seems half alive and it really shows when its busy.  SDC may be getting to the point they will have to step up the game as the crowds appear to be stepping up.  You have to supply your customers with things to do and the shops / shows being closed are not helpful. 

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2018, 09:10:37 AM »
That's also the reason we don't do Spring Break Days anymore.  I took an email survey sent from SDC yesterday and really blasted them on the non-festival shows- both the lack of quality and quantity.  You would think they would add more non-ride things to do during March just to keep the social media complaining of long ride wait times down. 
I'm Your Huckleberry

busymom4kc

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2018, 09:36:05 AM »
Our daughter was there a week ago yesterday and the wait times were nil. TT was only a 25 minute wait.  Our granddaughter was there Wed and wait times were small. Heading there right now. I have on a “Silly rabbit Easter is for Jesus” shirt. Say hello if you see us.

I agree with the posters who are complaining about the lack of entertainment during “Spring Break Days”. Also half of  stores are closed. Understand it’s a cost saving measure, but dang.

The memories made at Silver Dollar City last a lifetime.
Pass them on to the ones you love!
In the fall the leaves turn red and gold; that must mean God is a CHIEFS fan.

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2018, 03:30:36 PM »
We used to travel every year at spring break and preferred going to Dollywood over Silver Dollar City for the simple fact that when Dollywood opens for the season they are "open".  They jump right into a festival with a full slate of shows and all the restaurants/shops open. We had fun at SDC when we used to go over break 5 or so years ago but it seemed the crowds were more manageable. Must admit though I always had a weird feeling walking around SDC with so many things closed.  With crowds growing every spring, maybe it's time to re-evaluate and open full bore.  Then again, if people are coming anyway why spend the extra money.

milhouse

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2018, 04:37:55 PM »
I would be really interested in seeing the second floor of Wildfire queue. Pictures anyone?

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2018, 06:41:48 PM »
Yeah I am definitely waiting to make my next visit in mid April, and I am looking forward to see how TT looks once some greenery grows in. Wished they had at least threw down some hay or some kind of landscaping around the construction area though as it is pretty ugly right now. I am however glad they kept SOME of the mature trees in and around the layout.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2018, 07:12:04 PM »
Only took one pic...hope it uploads.  From above the gift shop.  It really did feel like I got to explore a abandoned part of the park....lol.  Crazy to see such great theming go to waste.  You can see the bottom of the boat from the shop....but I've never see the top....or even noticed the boat from the shop.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2018, 08:02:15 PM »
Only took one pic...hope it uploads.  From above the gift shop.  It really did feel like I got to explore a abandoned part of the park....lol.  Crazy to see such great theming go to waste.  You can see the bottom of the boat from the shop....but I've never see the top....or even noticed the boat from the shop.

Go during Young Heathens Weekend and you will
SWOOSH

milhouse

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2018, 08:41:16 PM »
Never even knew there was a boat! Thanks for the pic!

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2018, 09:30:59 PM »

Haha Thats awesome seeing it from another angle! Reminds me of the Rescue Rangers ship from the old 80's cartoon. :) I keep forgetting that thing exists in the Wildfire building, but yeah look up when you are in the gift shop section if any of you have missed it on previous visits.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 09:36:28 PM by sdcfan88 »

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2018, 09:59:27 PM »

Haha Thats awesome seeing it from another angle! Reminds me of the Rescue Rangers ship from the old 80's cartoon. :) I keep forgetting that thing exists in the Wildfire building, but yeah look up when you are in the gift shop section if any of you have missed it on previous visits.

Yes...Rescue Rangers...I was trying to think of what it reminded me of.  Line is full of additional invention drafts on the walls.  Some very detailed and creative....kind of wish I'd took some pics of them now.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2018, 10:03:45 PM »

You must work with the young heathens regularly...lol  I know your talking about the Christians week.  I assume the local Mizzou schools where out for spring break too....but I saw at least 30 people from the little AR town I live in included two of my kids teachers.

milhouse

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2018, 10:55:08 PM »

You must work with the young heathens regularly...lol  I know your talking about the Christians week.  I assume the local Mizzou schools where out for spring break too....but I saw at least 30 people from the little AR town I live in included two of my kids teachers.

How close to Jonesboro do you live? Several of my Facebook friends from town were there today!!

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2018, 10:36:42 AM »
Was at the city last Thursday (22nd) and it was insane with the amount of people.  As we were leaving, I asked the lady at the candy shop what the number was and she said it was over 20k.  She went on to say "the bad part was they were only expecting about 11k!"  The PTB really needs to address this  partial opening stuff as the crowd has nothing to do but wait in line.  I had 6 other people with me wanting to ride TT, but when they heard the wait time was between 2 1/2 and 3 hours...we walked on by.  Even the teenagers agreed that it was crazy to wait in line for 3 hours to ride a 1 minute ride!  We hit FM early and walked right on and I'm glad we did because a little later, the line extended past the train station.  Never got to ride the Train because that line extended to the Christmas store.  Homestead pickers were inside the cabin and it was PACKED for the 1:30 show.  In fact, I ended up standing the entire time buy worth it.  Those guys are always fun to be with.  I was disappointed to learn that I have now lost my go-to place to relax...on the back deck of the culinary school overlooking echo holler.  I was also disappointed with the new layout around the TT-TNT-FM exit area.  It gets really congested there and from what I witnessed it seems that people just are standing there looking around with that "I'm lost" look on their face.  I have to admit, when we got off of FM and walked out the door I had the same look on my face!  LOL  Food lines began to form around 11:30 am and lasted until around 3pm or so.  SDC really seemed to be understaffed in the food areas.  I had a hot dog at Franks and that poor lady was by herself working her can off.  We joked that with the amount of gloves she had to go through, they could have hired another person just to take the money so she could keep her gloves on!  We finally had enough of the crowd and left the city around 4:30 or so.  At that time, it appeared that all the parking lots were pretty full.

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2018, 10:42:27 AM »
Oh....something else they need to address.  It has always been somewhat of a problem in the past, but it really seemed to be getting worse is the drivers proceeding in the right lane to enter the parking lot.  As we are all lined up nice and neat in the left lane to enter parking lot 2, you have this stream of folks speeding up in the right lane then jumping in whenever they feel like it.  I actually had someone honk at me because I wouldn't let them in in front of me!  As we stood in line for the tram, it hit me....what's the different between that and someone just walking up to the tram and cutting in front of everyone and getting on the tram?  I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I consider that extremely rude.  SDC needs to split that road and make people commit to the right lane if that's where you are at.  Wouldn't take much more than a metal barrier between the left and right lanes to cure that problem.