Author Topic: 2018 Trip Reports  (Read 75796 times)

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 Trip Reports
« Reply #135 on: September 24, 2018, 12:18:32 PM »
  I guess the place can no longer be called American owned, at least it does not appear to me to be.  She was very upset and frustrated by the number of hours they are making her work and they are now charging her to live on the property, yet require her to as they never let her off work.  As we were heading out to dinner we say some of the guys from the group who were the owners walking across the street to the one that is across and just up the road a bit, the Brickhouse something or other I believe.  I would assume they also own that one.  When we got back from dinner we brought KD some food from Florentino's.  That seemed to have made her day.  I really feel sorry for her.

Is that even legal to require a person to work that many hours, not leave the premises, yet charge to live there?  I think that's called slavery.  I hope she get out of there soon.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 24, 2018, 02:07:48 PM »
No, it is not legal.  I forgot to mention, she did say she gave them her notice but they would not accept it.  They said she would either just have to quit, or they would fire her. 

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 24, 2018, 02:21:25 PM »
Had a long discussion with KD at Classic.  When we were checking in there was a group of folks sitting in the lobby.  We asked her who the new owners were and she nodded to them.  I guess the place can no longer be called American owned, at least it does not appear to me to be.  She was very upset and frustrated by the number of hours they are making her work and they are now charging her to live on the property, yet require her to as they never let her off work.  As we were heading out to dinner we say some of the guys from the group who were the owners walking across the street to the one that is across and just up the road a bit, the Brickhouse something or other I believe.  I would assume they also own that one.  When we got back from dinner we brought KD some food from Florentino's.  That seemed to have made her day.  I really feel sorry for her.

Yes, that whole thing is getting ridiculous, and now she has closed on her own house, and she has had some concerned job offers.. I dont know why she just doesnt hand them the damn keys..!!  >:( >:(     

Actually I do know why, she is staying for her loyalty to her customers....  I told her to make a customer list and take it with her to her new location..... :(
\
ANYWAY... on a lighter note..  she should have eaten well this weekend...  LOL.. 
we took her burger and fries on friday
Tacos on sat..
Cheesehead said she was going to get her a chicken dinner on sunday evening.
OKIE got her some Florentinos...!!!     
She ate better than I did!!..   

Special thanks from me to you people that are bringing her in food..!  LOL.   

I gave a friend of mine 40 bucks, and asked them to take her a small or medium pizza every couple of days until the money runs out.... Something with Beef or pork or both on it..   supposedly new owners dont eat Meat? (religion)  Hmm??... thinking meat lovers!!!   LOL

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 24, 2018, 03:34:26 PM »
What a shame.

So soon as I hear she's gone, we will certainly cross the place off our list.  Too bad because it's such a convenient location.

I hope the new owners notice the decline in traffic and come to realize what they have lost:  not just the business but the great person.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 24, 2018, 05:30:45 PM »
I did not realize anyone else what there Sunday.  If I had known would have tried to say hello.  On another note, I did notice a couple of pallets of new toilets sitting in the back, and other construction supplies around the place so maybe they are getting ready to do a big remodel or something.  It did not seem to me like it needed anything major though.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 24, 2018, 07:44:18 PM »
I did not realize anyone else what there Sunday.  If I had known would have tried to say hello.  On another note, I did notice a couple of pallets of new toilets sitting in the back, and other construction supplies around the place so maybe they are getting ready to do a big remodel or something.  It did not seem to me like it needed anything major though.

we left sunday morning,  yes some new fixtures sitting around..... 
BUT i can GUARANTEE you, there is NO big remodel going to happen there. a few needed repairs and maint?, Yes..  that is all that will be done, IF in fact that gets done at all..

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #141 on: September 24, 2018, 11:27:32 PM »

Sounds like SDC is about to get their own new area similar to dollywood. Waterboggin footprint and Employee parking lot.

Bad News for Flooded Mine?

Highly doubt it.  I've heard some interesting rumors from the craftspeople that I never saw come to pass.  We know that they are redoing the festival event next year, as evidenced by the departure of the Wild West Show and a few other small changes they've announced.  It's very possible they're just completely reworking how they're gong to do that whole event.

But if they were doing a major remodel of an area of the park, you can bet they would have announced it and been milking it for all it's worth already.  That's not the kind of thing they are going to do under the radar and not say anything about.  Remember how early the hints were dropping about Christmas in Midtown- a full year before it happened.  They're not going to have a major project like that go by and nothing even hinted until a quiet rumor 6 months from when it would be complete.

Which is also why I laugh every time certain people start talking about the redone entrance and moving it or Echo Hollow.  Again things that the PR department isn't going to keep hidden.

Good to hear that, Sir Willow!  I hope you're right.

Just a reminder that the PR department does not do things on Willow’s timeline and there is a lot of season left. 
SWOOSH

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #142 on: September 25, 2018, 01:26:18 PM »
When they built Fireman's Landing, they put in the infrastructure for a train Track crossing(see photo).
That could easily be used as part of a new pathway to connect Fireman's Landing and Grand Expo. I theorize that they would only claim the southern half of that employee parking lot for this. But if you look at how FM, Frisco Barn and the area left from the Water Boggin and you have the making of a space for a coaster. Other wildcards are RiverFront playhouse and the open air theater and if Valley Road stays.

You might be surprised to know that crossing has actually been there for years.  I used it when I worked there a couple of times, but it's main use was when they were building Fireman's Landing it was much easier to bring in the materials that way since they were stored in the lot, and that was the main reason that it was improved- so the construction teams working there during Fireman's Landing build could use it.

There's been lots of speculation that at some point they might use the old employee lot for expansion.  The same has been said about the maintanence area around the round house as well, where they could easily build a path from Barn Swing to Fireman's Landing.  Or use the gate by Outlaw Run to build out into the woods. Or...  :-)  Well, I hope you get my drift.

SDC's team didn't win the PR award at the recent Golden Tickets for no reason.  If there were plans being formulated or in place, then there would be something coming out from the park in some fashion.  Markers, planning teams, "convenient leaks" or something other than wild guess work on a fan forum or from a group of people who are only at the park 3-5 weeks a year instead of the regular employees.

In other words, while I'm sure they have some things in the planning stages for 2020, at this point I'm not optimistic that it's any of those.  I have some ideas, and have had a few discussions, but I don't want to add speculation or rumors so I'll refrain until there is something more solid, but don't count on what you think you're seeing or hearing.  :-)
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #143 on: September 25, 2018, 01:30:26 PM »
No, it is not legal.  I forgot to mention, she did say she gave them her notice but they would not accept it.  They said she would either just have to quit, or they would fire her.

Perhaps they don't realize that's illegal here in the US and they can't force someone to work or refuse to accept their notice?  I hope she walks in 2 weeks and files against them.  That's ridiculous.

Quote from: Swoosh
Just a reminder that the PR department does not do things on Willow’s timeline and there is a lot of season left. 

::) ::) Nor do they operate on yours Swoosh, as evidenced by the multiple rumors and things you've had wrong over the last several years.  smh
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 25, 2018, 04:13:47 PM »

::) ::) Nor do they operate on yours Swoosh, as evidenced by the multiple rumors and things you've had wrong over the last several years.  smh

Give it a break! sir willow is just adding to a conversation that most of us are interested in, and most of us are interested in what he has to say whether it's speculation or not.  Let's all play nicely! Good grief!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #145 on: September 25, 2018, 05:06:01 PM »
SDC's team didn't win the PR award at the recent Golden Tickets for no reason.  If there were plans being formulated or in place, then there would be something coming out from the park in some fashion.  Markers, planning teams, "convenient leaks" or something other than wild guess work on a fan forum or from a group of people who are only at the park 3-5 weeks a year instead of the regular employees.

SDC's PR team is amazing and doesn't get the recognition they deserve. They did a mind-blowingly good job with the Time Traveler publicity and made headlines worldwide. Not sure what you're trying to say here. We will hear about 2019 stuff here in about a month when they start pushing 2019 passes as is typical. As for potential 2020 stuff, SDC isn't usually a park to tease things a long ways off unless construction is obvious.

Anyhoo.... This thread is supposed to be for trip reports. We have a whole other section of the forums for speculation.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #146 on: September 25, 2018, 10:00:12 PM »

Oh honey, if you’ve been around the business as long as I have you’d know how fluid things can be in this industry.  What was solid 100% one day can be cancelled the very next.  So no, they were not wrong, just either cancelled for a different project or put on the back burner.  Do you have any idea how many times the FITH, FM and LR projects have had their timelines changed?

Sorry Gilligan, had to renew my lease in Willow’s head
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #147 on: September 25, 2018, 10:09:05 PM »
^lol, so in other words, you've ended up being wrong on your "hints" before. Most of the time none of us really know what is going on. Sometimes the people in charge don't even know what they're going to end up with. I don't know what there is to get out of being a know-it-all about the future plans of a theme park. Personally, I like watching and guessing at what they'll come up with.

I'm getting real tired of the snide comments back and forth. It's such a stupid and immature thing to argue over. Last warning.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 23, 2018, 09:43:06 PM »
I was at the park on Saturday. I hadn't been to the fall festival in a couple years so I was excited to return, and I was reminded as to the reason fall-winter is my favorite time of year at SDC. I love the fall weather, the colors of the leaves, and the overall atmosphere at the park. I enjoyed several of the craftsmen/women booths around the square, although some were not overly impressive. Crowds were manageable all day, but it was pretty busy. Longest wait of the day was a little over an hour for Time Traveler first thing in the morning. I also waited the longest I have for Wildfire in quite some time. Later in the day, I got my first ride on PK for a couple years because the line wasn't too long. Normally I do not feel the need to wait for PK. I was reminded why, it feels like it has gotten a lot rougher since I rode it last. Still a fun ride though.

Highlight of the day for me was the stagecoach "show" with Cowboy Rick. I loved hearing the history of the stagecoach, getting to hear the story from them, and looking through their book. I already knew the early history of SDC, but I love that SDC is allowing the general public to hear it as well. I think it just enriches the overall quality of the park.

Now for my "SDCFan nitpicks." Why are cast members allowed to wear 21st century tennis shoes with their costumes? Yes, I know, for the normal guest this goes unnoticed. However, it really does take me out of the moment when I see the ride operators wearing Nike tennis shoes with 1880's dress otherwise. These kinds of costume infringements would not happen at Disney, which I feel needs to be the gold standard SDC should strive for when it comes to theme. Second nitpick is the merchandise selection at SDC. All I want is an SDC hoodie or sweater with the classic axe and log logo. However, all I can find anywhere in the park is clothes with roller coasters, trees, or mountains on them. Honestly, a lot of SDC's merchandise when it comes to clothing is targeted at a younger audience which is just really disappointing. A lot of it is not appealing to me at all. I would be willing to pay higher price for a higher quality clothing selection.

Overall, it was a great day even with those two minor complaints. I can't wait to make it back for OTC!
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #149 on: October 23, 2018, 10:20:55 PM »
^ Based on the shoe comment... how many types of shoes are there that would be comfortable to stand and walk in for an entire day that match the 1880s themed outfits? I know that even with tennis shoes on my feet would be tired by the end of the day