Author Topic: Easter at SDC  (Read 3285 times)

DougFromTulsa

• View Profile
Easter at SDC
« on: March 12, 2018, 01:55:35 PM »
Hi Everyone, my family and I have moved from Oklahoma to Ohio and haven't had a chance to get back to "the city" since December of 2016.  We were season pass holders for 15+ years, so we're sad to not see SDC as often, but we do have Cedar Point within 30 miles so that does help.

That being said, with all of this talk about high crowds, the new coaster, and our DEC 2016 experience where the park was crazy busy, we were still thinking about making a trip during the week before Easter.  In all of the years we were season pass holders, we never once did the week before Easter.  We were thinking about that Thursday/Friday (3/29-30)...  we know it is closed Easter Sunday and Saturday we would use to continue on to OK to see friends and family.

So .. any thoughts on how packed the park might be?

Thanks everyone.   It has been a long time since I posted, but I still love reading things on here.  I always found this a great place to read about what is really going on there and read thoughts on the park that myself and the family love so much.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Easter at SDC
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 03:56:02 PM »
It will likely not quite be as crazy as Christmas, but a good weather weekend will still bring lots of people out. With the new coaster just having opened there will be a ton of people coming out to try it. There's not really any better time to come out though crowd-wise until this fall. As long as you get there before the 76 crawl starts, you'll be fine and have lots of fun. Remember that the main square opens early (usually an hour early) before the park actually opens.

If you get there first thing, you can often park in lot 2 and have an easy time getting into the city.
If you get on the road at opening time, who knows where they'll send you since they often try to fill up their satellite lots first.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 04:06:26 PM »
Not sure I can directly advise on those dates.....but as a general rule....Saturdays are easily the busiest day of the week and the most insane days during peak season.  Fridays and Sundays can be get crazy too during good weather days and depending on if schools are in session.  The general warning about going early in the season (March and April) is that the park is not completely open.  Even a lot of the stores don't open at all till late spring.  The shows and festivals aren't started yet so sometimes even a modest crowd can back up the rides since the rides are all that is open.  Of course...with the new coaster opening I'd expect a bit of an uptick this year early too.  I always recommend going on a weekday if possible and even plan to go on questionable weather days because that scares local crowds away.  Of the weekend days....Sunday's are lighter and the crowd tends to leave earlier....so late Sunday afternoons can sometimes be surprisingly good for rides.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 04:17:23 PM by HumphreyHawk »
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 06:35:40 PM »
Do it! Thurs-Fri will be a piece of cake....

Friday may have a little traffic being Good Friday, but most people will be traveling.

Enjoy.  safe travels...

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 07:09:05 PM »
Off topic to the subject of your post, but you mentioned Cedar Point. I just saw a virtual video of their new RMC-built coaster, "Steel Vengeance". It looks like RMC is continuing to build off of Outlaw Run

DougFromTulsa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 09:09:36 AM »
Thanks everyone for the feedback.  When we were season pass holders, we would get there way early (preferred parking), usually park in one of the first spots, get to the entrance and wait for the opening.  Once open, we would sit and eat at Eva & Delilah's (we love the Kolackys and Cinn. Rolls).  We'll plan on doing that again... except no preferred parking.   :)

I guess we have settled on going that Thursday and Friday.  We're going to avoid Saturday and leave that day for "general Branson stuff" and then travel to OK later that day.  The kids are planning to ride Thunderation about 100 times... they LOVE that coaster (as do Mom and Dad). 

KBCraig: Lots of hype going on with "Steel Vengeance".  We're thinking about going to a Season Pass holder "preview" in late April.  For those of you that haven't seen it, here is a link:  https://www.cedarpoint.com/explore/steel-vengeance (POV video at the bottom)

Thanks again everyone...