Author Topic: Dollywood 2019  (Read 19651 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Dollywood 2019
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 10:51:17 AM »
https://blog.dollywood.com/index.php/2018/08/03/dollywoods-new-land-offers-attractions-experiences/

Here's the announcement. Fantasy Forest theme, with a lot of emphasis on the fantasy. Looks nice, though the concept sketches are too artistic to see how much themeing there will really be. Obviously with this theme it will be a lot of landscaping. Luckily DW is good at landscaping and has a much bigger budget in that regard than SDC.

I love the continued "land" additions. Each one has a fun theme and packs in a lot of rides and attractions, but the theme and effort to make it a collective experience really sets them apart from other parks that make additions like these. SFOT's new area with several rides is literally just a bunch of asphalt with some rides plunked down, for example. Even though I would rather have more smokey mountain historical/cultural themes, I appreciate the continued effort to develop extensive themed areas.

Rides of note in this addition include the Vekoma family invert and the Larson Flyers. Celebration City actually got one of the first "new-gen" Larson Flyers, but this is the first new purchase from Larson in awhile for HFEC. Buying a new ride from Vekoma is a big deal considering Vekoma's revamped product line.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2018, 01:17:55 PM »
Sounds good to me. I was really thinking we might see the snow theme after all based on some of the area sketches. Still not sure what those fans are supposed to be on the invert.

This has the potential to be really transformation (again) for the park. After the flop (IMO) of Wilderness Pass, this will have the potential to get back to heavy theming and immersive environments that they were doing so well with in Timber Canyon.

Although some don't like it, you have to admit that they did a lot of creative things with Fireman's Landing, and it has a really fun atmosphere and charm of it's own even with all the rides packed in close. I am looking forward to DW's take on it.

I was expecting a mack  coaster but it was obvious months ago this was a vekoma family suspended. They arw great for families too. We now know that Herchend is open to vekoma rides going forward. It also seems like the days of two big rides per company is over.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2018, 02:22:22 PM »
We now know that Herchend is open to vekoma rides going forward. It also seems like the days of two big rides per company is over.

Well I think it's been common knowledge that the next major addition to SDC is coming in 2020.  The real question is what and where.  Whatever SDC does, I am sure they want to continue to make a splash in the industry as they are becoming known as a destination park.
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2018, 05:31:01 PM »
We now know that Herchend is open to vekoma rides going forward. It also seems like the days of two big rides per company is over.

Well I think it's been common knowledge that the next major addition to SDC is coming in 2020.  The real question is what and where.  Whatever SDC does, I am sure they want to continue to make a splash in the industry as they are becoming known as a destination park.

I'm hoping the FLY coaster that vekoma is buidling for Phantasisland is open when we are there next summer. I can easily see this being bat themed and if it is worth a damn a great fit for SDC

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2018, 06:39:25 PM »

I'm hoping the FLY coaster that vekoma is buidling for Phantasisland is open when we are there next summer. I can easily see this being bat themed and if it is worth a damn a great fit for SDC

If we’re going to do a bat themed coaster, why can’t we just copy AcroBAT and get a flyer?
SWOOSH

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2018, 07:40:22 PM »

Well with that being said, SDC has been officially ranked as the 4th best U.S. theme park. We could now be seeing a lot of additional investment over the next few years on the same scope that we have been currently seeing at Dollywood over the past decade. (who was ranked in at #6, surprisingly enough)

https://www.news-leader.com/story/news/local/ozarks/2018/06/22/usa-today-poll-rates-silver-dollar-city-among-top-5-amusement-parks/715901002/
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 07:42:18 PM by sdcfan88 »

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2018, 10:51:30 PM »

Well with that being said, SDC has been officially ranked as the 4th best U.S. theme park. We could now be seeing a lot of additional investment over the next few years on the same scope that we have been currently seeing at Dollywood over the past decade. (who was ranked in at #6, surprisingly enough)

https://www.news-leader.com/story/news/local/ozarks/2018/06/22/usa-today-poll-rates-silver-dollar-city-among-top-5-amusement-parks/715901002/

As much as I love SDC, count me among those that considers the list to not be officially anything that means much.  Top 20 parks picked by their "experts", and then narrowed down.  Not even referring the questionable tastes of a couple of the starting experts, to put SFMM at number 1- when it has almost nothing but coasters anymore, and to not have a Disney or Universal park in there...

I'm not knocking any of those parks, but at least 2 of them I might not have even considered for the top 30.   And there are other fairly glaring omissions of parks that I would have put well above several of these.

SDC would possibly crack my top 10, but it wouldn't be very high up.  And I love SDC.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2018, 11:46:18 AM »
I guess it just really comes down to personal preference.

I have been to Disney World a couple of times, and it is almost perfect, but the wait for the rides is long and the thrill factor just isn't there. But there is so much they do right (shows, theme, food, etc). But, I also liked Disneyland better than World.....World I was ready to leave, Land I ran out of time...

Six Flags and Cedar Fair, if on a good day where there isn't many lines, are great fun. The rides are great thrills, but the theming isn't present or can be laughable. Food not so great, shows are okay, etc. Definitely a thrill seekers park.

To me SDC (and Dollywood) combines the two, plus throws in a natural wonder with Marvel Cave and the natural beauty of the trees and hills. The rides are fun, theming is present, food good, shows great, shopping, etc. - I just think SDC does a great job of having something for everyone.

So I could see how SDC and Dollywood are rated as a top 10 parks, however, I'm still baffled at SFMM being No. 1.

Jay

Edit......added the word Dollywood to try and make this fit that thread better.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 11:58:03 AM by cowboy »

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2018, 04:58:01 PM »

I agree, all these online best of polls are nothing more than clickbait. No Disney or Universal ? Sorry, as much as I like SDC they cannot hold a candle to theming at the best of the best. What would Disney have done with TT ? I could only imagine.

As much as I love SDC, count me among those that considers the list to not be officially anything that means much.  Top 20 parks picked by their "experts", and then narrowed down.  Not even referring the questionable tastes of a couple of the starting experts, to put SFMM at number 1- when it has almost nothing but coasters anymore, and to not have a Disney or Universal park in there...

I'm not knocking any of those parks, but at least 2 of them I might not have even considered for the top 30.   And there are other fairly glaring omissions of parks that I would have put well above several of these.

SDC would possibly crack my top 10, but it wouldn't be very high up.  And I love SDC.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2018, 05:47:50 PM »
It looks like the tree will have a nightly show with fireworks (I'm sure that the fireworks part won't be nightly though).

More info is in the video here: https://www.dollywood.com/themepark/Rides/Wildwood-Grove

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2018, 04:56:01 AM »
I was expecting a mack  coaster but it was obvious months ago this was a vekoma family suspended. They arw great for families too. We now know that Herchend is open to vekoma rides going forward. It also seems like the days of two big rides per company is over.

I read over on TPR and another site that this is only Phase 1 of a larger expansion and that they have only used 1/3 of the land for this new area, so the latter part of your statement could be premature as the rest could be used for a large coaster installation in the following years, perhaps a Mack hyper and/or launch coaster sometime around 2021? (could also make up for the LR debacle installing the latter)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 05:20:46 AM by sdcfan88 »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2018, 09:29:22 AM »
Will the remainder of the land be used for expansions? Yes.  Will it be any time in the near future? No. 

The park keeps hammering on Wildwood Grove being near the end of the guaranteed amount they said they were adding to the park over 10 years. 
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2018, 02:12:06 AM »
In regard to the online polls and the recent rankings SDC and Dollywood have received on polls from the likes of tripadvisor and USAToday. it's publicity that's seen all over the country. That never hurts. It's these type of polls and their being shared via social media that it help making SDC and Dollywood more than just regional parks. They are growing into national, destination parks. They much more well rounded than the typical Six Flags or Cedar Fair park. It's this growing national attention that I think we may well see much more differentiation between the two and why we may be seeing the end of buying in twos or shadowing areas like County Fair/Grand Expo.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2019, 02:39:33 PM »
Been seeing some chatter that Dollywoods version of the Waterboggan is done. 2018 was the last season.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2019, 07:40:11 PM »
Yeah, sounds like it. Sucks... I enjoy all the toboggan style rides, and these water slides were and interesting breed. I knew this was coming, but wish we had been given more warning. Might have even considered running out there for nostalgia's sake.

Potential site of DW's next big thing though?