Author Topic: White Water Development  (Read 19111 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
White Water Development
« on: March 03, 2018, 12:04:23 PM »
It's been a long time since we've had much to discuss about White Water. We've pretty much all been in agreement for a long time that the park has fallen behind the competition, and now with a new $400+ million water and adventure park coming to town it looks like it will need to somehow put up or shut up.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much control HFEC has over the current property. It's been a long time since I looked into it, but I thought it was a lease or partial ownership situation. In any case, it's not a big property, though they could pack a lot more in.

They showed signs of life a few years ago when they added the new drop slides and replaced the lazy river. It seemed like they were slowly moving through the park revitalizing everything, but it's dropped off since then.

Think there's any hope for this property long term?

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: White Water Development
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 12:20:09 PM »
Are we completely sure that this new thing isn't connected with HFE in any way?  They mention whitewater generically a lot in the article (without saying White Water), and the guy was connected with HFE at one time.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 05:46:19 PM »
I didn't see any connection to HFE. A lot of people in this area worked at a HFE property at one time, seeing as they own half the big attractions in town.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 03:43:42 PM »
I'm guessing White Water has been a cash cow for the HFE....it makes plenty of money without having to keep up with the Jones around the country.  Water parks are not destination attractions beyond the local area.  Since it is tied with SDC....WW will probably always have the advantage over other parks for getting the extra water park money from tourists.....I'm guessing Branson could support 4-5 indoor water parks (in hotels) and 2 major outdoor parks.  I thinking the next generations of Branson visitors are going to prefer water parks over lake days.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 05:01:33 PM »
I'm guessing White Water has been a cash cow for the HFE....it makes plenty of money without having to keep up with the Jones around the country.  Water parks are not destination attractions beyond the local area.  Since it is tied with SDC....WW will probably always have the advantage over other parks for getting the extra water park money from tourists.....I'm guessing Branson could support 4-5 indoor water parks (in hotels) and 2 major outdoor parks.  I thinking the next generations of Branson visitors are going to prefer water parks over lake days.

Last stand alone Water Park I went to on purpose and not part of a theme park like the one at  WOF and SFSL was Volcano Bay and Aquatica. After having done those there ain't any desire to go to White Water. It sends no thrill up my leg. It needs 80% gutted and redone with something designed within the past decade. Outside of the rather tame drop box slide addition, that park might as well stuck in 1995

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 07:06:29 PM »
We did the dual pass this year and went to WW once so far this year.  I am not impressed, but then again I am not really into water parks in the first place.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 08:47:30 PM »
So no word about anything for White Water today... If they were to get something, it would be a second announcement in either early Nov. or Spring before opening. Not sure if I see them doing that.

Something's gotta give eventually, right? The new $440+ million water park down the strip is going to start construction next year.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 12:04:04 PM »
The new $440+ million water park down the strip is going to start construction next year.

??  Really?   

I  thought that project fell through, due to lack of city backing and very little if any tax breaks.?

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 01:02:58 PM »
The new $440+ million water park down the strip is going to start construction next year.

??  Really?   

I  thought that project fell through, due to lack of city backing and very little if any tax breaks.?

Sand, that's what I thought, also - that the tiff grant was not approved. And, wasn't there plans for a smaller water park going in somewhere? No where near that price tag?

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2018, 01:10:46 PM »
Sand, that's what I thought, also - that the tiff grant was not approved. And, wasn't there plans for a smaller water park going in somewhere? No where near that price tag?

Gillagan..  your thinking about the one at SOTH and Rourk.. been working on it for a year.. It is owned by Wetsgate.  building it next to "Drafts",  which is also owned by westgate..

the facility is primarily for the time share owners but will be open to the public,  IF and when they get it finished

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 05:48:24 PM »
My worst hotel experience in Branson happened at there at Westgate.  Absolutely horrible service.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 07:15:17 PM »
My worst hotel experience in Branson happened at there at Westgate.  Absolutely horrible service.

LOL, 
thats why they are now involved with a Theatre,
Own a "sports bar",
and building a water park..
to offer their customer what the other guys, 
to "tease" there potential buyers...

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 07:41:25 PM »
The Westgate one isn't 400million. Seems some "special interests" killed the tiff funding the big one was seekimg.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2018, 09:08:09 PM »
Oh wow, I completely missed when the TIF for the big water park was voted down. After the commision voted to recommend, I assumed it was in the bag.

For anyone else who missed it: https://www.news-leader.com/story/news/local/ozarks/2018/04/25/developer-considers-alternate-locations-water-park-after-branson-denies-tax-breaks/551358002/

From skimming some articles, it sounds like typical Branson tribalism. All the little mom and pop places banded together and kept the big players out. It will be the death of them, but eventually capitalism will run it's course and Branson will implode when younger generations turn up their nose at what Branson is currently offering outside of SDC. This would have been a game changer.

I guess that's even less pressure for White Water to change. Honestly, HFEC was probably involved in swaying some opinions as well. They are mercilessly protective of their Branson interests.

I still assume White Water can't be doing that well though... I could be wrong, haven't been by to check in years.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2018, 08:11:32 AM »
Oh wow, I completely missed when the TIF for the big water park was voted down. After the commision voted to recommend, I assumed it was in the bag.

For anyone else who missed it: https://www.news-leader.com/story/news/local/ozarks/2018/04/25/developer-considers-alternate-locations-water-park-after-branson-denies-tax-breaks/551358002/

From skimming some articles, it sounds like typical Branson tribalism. All the little mom and pop places banded together and kept the big players out. It will be the death of them, but eventually capitalism will run it's course and Branson will implode when younger generations turn up their nose at what Branson is currently offering outside of SDC. This would have been a game changer.

I guess that's even less pressure for White Water to change. Honestly, HFEC was probably involved in swaying some opinions as well. They are mercilessly protective of their Branson interests.

I still assume White Water can't be doing that well though... I could be wrong, haven't been by to check in years.

Parrot Island in Ft. Smith(owned by the City and county)is converting a body slide to a tune slide and adding a wave simulator ride. That will be popular and less incentive to visit White Water for some local market folks.