Author Topic: Fun Pix, Unlimited Drinks, Meal Plans - Time to step up SDC  (Read 9431 times)

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
Re: Fun Pix, Unlimited Drinks, Meal Plans - Time to step up SDC
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 08:17:04 PM »
3. Unlimited Digital On-ride Photos
This has really become popular at Cedar Fair parks and Disney parks.  You pay a price and then you collect as many digital on ride photos as you want during the season.  The best part about these is that you can almost instantly share them online.  This seems like a no-brainer to me.

I don't think I noted it earlier, but this has happened this year.  You can buy an "annual all photo pass" at Guest Relations on the way into the park and it will allow you to download every single photo taken in the park over the course of the year- on ride photos as well as those taken by photographers.  While their system for adding the photos to your card and making them available online isn't perfect yet (the in park photographers still have to give you a piece of paper and you add it to your card later as you leave the park) it's at least a major step in the right direction.

Bringing no more food in the park will be the end of SDC for me and several family members with the same food issues.  We travel by necessity with a doctor's note needing to take our own food.  If I can't bring it in, I'm definitely done. There are under 3 things in the park that I can safely eat.

I don't know of ANY park that doesn't allow food into the park in the case of those with restricted diets because of allergies or illnesses.  Even those that generally ban food from being brought into the park will make exceptions for babies, small children, and those with illnesses.  I really don't think that's something you'll ever need to worry about happening at SDC.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 09:44:46 AM »
Um, You would save money in the long run?  :o

That's what I'm looking for, Swoosh.  Where would I save money? 

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 03:00:33 PM »
Well if you’re like my family, you spend at least $15/meal when we visit.  If there was a dining plan like what they have at CF/SF parks for like $115 for the season where you could get 2 meals a day it would pay for itself in under 4 visits.  We visit a lot more than just 4 times a year. 

The season mugs at CF/SF parks are good for the season for unlimited refills.  They’re usually $30 or so.  Refills on mugs now are around $3 each time.  Not too hard to see how quickly that would add up to meet that initial investment.

The Photopix is already in place apparently, just isn’t being pushed like it should be.

The dinner and show would be the most difficult to integrate to show value so I’ll ignore that one for now.
SWOOSH

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 08:31:46 AM »
Yes, we do eat, so maybe.  On the other hand, coming up with the total up front is more difficult that spreading it out it over the year.

We've got the old mugs, and I think the discounts we get more than compensate us.

No interest in the photos at all, so that would simply be a waste of money for us.

Everybody's wants/needs are different.  What would work for you wouldn't for us.  So color me uninterested.  I would be unpleased to lose the value of my old mugs when no expiration date was ever put on them.

But, as I said, I understand the potential rationale from HFE's perspective.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 01:43:27 PM »

Bringing no more food in the park will be the end of SDC for me and several family members with the same food issues.  We travel by necessity with a doctor's note needing to take our own food.  If I can't bring it in, I'm definitely done. There are under 3 things in the park that I can safely eat.

I don't know of ANY park that doesn't allow food into the park in the case of those with restricted diets because of allergies or illnesses.  Even those that generally ban food from being brought into the park will make exceptions for babies, small children, and those with illnesses.  I really don't think that's something you'll ever need to worry about happening at SDC.

Just an FYI for those that need to know - You are not allowed to take your own meal on the Branson Belle.  I went round and round with them about it.  They assured me a safe meal could be provided (gluten free for a celiac), and I highly doubt it knowing the care to prep work that must take place in a kitchen serving meals to hundred of others at the same time.  The kitchen manager personally called me a few days later to let me know they promised it would be safe and that all I needed to do was alert my server. In other words, not safe for a celiac.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 01:45:56 PM by Gilligan »

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 08:11:19 PM »

Just an FYI for those that need to know - You are not allowed to take your own meal on the Branson Belle.  I went round and round with them about it.  They assured me a safe meal could be provided (gluten free for a celiac), and I highly doubt it knowing the care to prep work that must take place in a kitchen serving meals to hundred of others at the same time.  The kitchen manager personally called me a few days later to let me know they promised it would be safe and that all I needed to do was alert my server. In other words, not safe for a celiac.

Branson Belle isn't a park.  it's a show and meal. Different thing entirely so it will have different rules.

however, if Celiac is your only issue, then yes, than can and will work with you AND give you a completely safe meal.  I've had a couple of friends, as well as my wife, all be able to eat safely on it.  One has an extreme version of Celiac and they ate with absolutely no issues at all.  They are equipped and set up to be able to prepare safe meals in cases like that.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2018, 09:40:07 PM »
Thank you, Willow.  I wasn't arguing with you - I know it's not a park.  That was my public service announcement for those that need to know.  But, there is no extreme version of celiac - if you have it, you have it - same damage done regardless of how much you do or do not consume.  But, thanks for the reassurance about the Belle. I'll consider it during a non busy time of year, but I'm also sneaking in my own food in case I see something suspect.  ;D  I had a friend who tried it, and did not get a safe meal. 

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2018, 03:57:14 PM »
Just wanted to let you know that they are doing the “Dinner and a Show” now for their Concert Series. 

SWOOSH

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2018, 05:51:21 PM »
There's a discount for SP holders with "dinner and a show".  Last night's dinner was pulled pork sandwich, slaw, ice tea or water, and pineapple upside down cake. It was good, easy enough to hear the music, but hard to hear anyone speaking with the roller coaster running.

themeparknerd

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2018, 10:53:05 AM »

I was shocked when I found out I wasn't allowed to bring plastic, still factory-sealed water bottles into Whitewater last summer.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2018, 05:46:00 PM »

I was shocked when I found out I wasn't allowed to bring plastic, still factory-sealed water bottles into Whitewater last summer.

Actually that doesn't surprise me at all.  Water is readily available from drinking fountains as well as any of the counter service places which will give you a free cup of water.  There's no reason for them to allow in something that is already available there, which eliminates the "specific diet" exception that they might otherwise allow.

Now if you had brought in a personal reusable water bottle that  you could have refilled within the park, that might have been a different story.