Author Topic: America's Fun Park in Branson  (Read 21045 times)

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
America's Fun Park in Branson
« on: February 16, 2018, 04:25:20 PM »
Noticed that this was mentioned today on 1branson and the SDC Fans Facebook page, the new Fun Park.

http://www.ozarksfirst.com/news/new-branson-amusement-park-to-open-by-may-2018/977147196

https://www.americasfunpark.com/

Plans are to open by May of this year and it is supposed to change with the seasons.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: America's Fun Park in Branson
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 04:32:52 PM »
Yeah I was just about to post this. Came as a huge surprise to me.

Really though, it sounds like a small permantent carnival that will stay open through Christmas. Doesn't look like a tremendously professional operation considering they had to change their name a few days after going public (They were originally American's Fun Spot and I'm guessing the famous Florida company of a similar name sent them a cease-and-desist).

Still though, it sounds cool, and I'm always excited to see more rides pop up. Could be a neat place. I was hoping one of these micro parks would finally add a real coaster someday - maybe this will be the one? Pigeon Forge had a great wooden coaster for a short time at one of the go-kart parks.

Curious how SDC will respond... usually they throw their weight around enough to scare away competition. Then again, with this development being so small, maybe it works in their favor anyway be filling the market while scaring away bigger competition. Branson USA was probably a lot more scary to them because it had a lot more real estate and even a couple real coasters. It could have grown into a decent park whereas this is going to be limited to about 9 acres.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 05:09:08 PM »
I had not heard a thing about this.  Open in 90 days?   Going to have to do a lot of work fast.. 

Will for sure check it out when I am in town 2 weeks from now..

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 06:23:18 PM »
It doesn't take very long to throw up a carnival.  I hope this is more than the standard parking lot fair.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 07:27:41 PM »
Branson screams for a Fun Spot in Orlando, I keep thinking The Track will make the leap to that level but hasn't yet. If build a basic park with some park model caroussel, huymalaya, old school Tilt a Whirl, Scrambler, Spinner and a couple of other classics.   Group of 4 to four kiddie rides. A ferris wheel.  One of the small footprint Gravity Groups or GCI, a Wild Mouse, one of those spinning SBF Visas that's all the rage, and a kiddie coaster to start.
I'd keep a pad that changed mobile models from time to time like A zipper and other staples

my growth plan would be a Star Flyer, shot tower, compact steel coaster with inversions, a flume, and more modern flats like a Zamperla Air race

I'd call it Great Ozarks Fair

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 07:35:48 PM »
Still hard to believe someone on this site hadnt heard about this project..
I saw nothing about it on the minutes from city council meetings.
Nothing about on the weekly updates from Karen Best (mayor) FB page,
Nothing about building permits and est building value.
Odd.. ???

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 10:03:19 PM »
Well some of us have burnt in the past and don’t post everything they know anymore.  js
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 10:39:34 AM »
The more I look into it, the smaller this operation looks. Basically it sounds like they have a contract for a carnival company to park a few rides here all year.

“Remember the fun of the midway at the state fair? That’s America’s Fun Park,” said Rick Billington, spokesperson for Branson Fun Spot, LLC. “Summer of 2018, America’s Fun Spot is all about carnival rides, games, food and fun.

They contracted with a major exposition company that does set up ride acquisitions and set-up at state fairs and other events across the country.  Their idea was just to bring another affordable family attraction to Branson.

I mean, it's an interesting idea and if it catches on it could turn into something bigger, but they aren't building a real amusement park in three months. I wonder if they'll even have a permanent bathroom or just a row of port-a-potties...

I see it as a proof of concept if nothing else. A lot of cities do things like pop-up parks and temporary bike lanes and such just to gauge community reaction to new things. This is like a pop-up amusement park  ;D  If they don't get a contract for next year, maybe that will encourage the Tracks parks to keep adding rides.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 11:48:07 AM »
I was amazed at how fast the Galveston Island Historic Pier was put together, also Coney island in Brooklyn is basically a carnival with a couple permanent coaster installations. I'm sure if they get the infrastructure (electric, ride pads, bathrooms) built - the other items can be put up in a few short weeks.

I think this is going to be the logical next steps for Branson. You look at the direction SDC is taking with their ride installations, and the other attractions opened on the strip (coasters, Bigfoot, etc.) you'll probably continue to see more "family" attractions - as the focus moves to younger families.

Jay

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 03:47:06 PM »
Concrete slabs for rides,   
Hopefully permanent restrooms, 
3 or 4 food trucks when there are rides going.. 
LOW overhead, 
chance of being a money maker..

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 11:44:27 AM »
Their facebook has begun listing some of the rides they have finalized. I was surprised to see that the main attraction will be a galaxi-style roller coaster. It's an Interpark Super Cyclon that was previously at Lake City (the park that lasted for two months in Alabama).

I'm just blown away that Time Traveler isn't the only new coaster in Branson this year.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 05:50:38 PM »
It’s amazing the change in information in just one week.  They were originally going with a Windstorm and had said as such and then out of nowhere comes Groovy Train - a Super Cyclone
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 05:56:45 PM »
Super cyclone pov
https://youtu.be/fdMvD838hDc

Waiting for:

Tilt a whirl

Zipper

Himalaya

Round up/gravitron
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 06:05:54 PM by chittlins »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 06:46:14 AM »
Was in town this weekend  and I forgot to do drive by!!!   meant to check it out and get pics..  sorry gang.. :(

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 12:40:59 PM »
It’s amazing the change in information in just one week.  They were originally going with a Windstorm and had said as such and then out of nowhere comes Groovy Train - a Super Cyclone

The Windstorm was announced this week. https://www.facebook.com/americasfunpark/

So three new coasters in Branson next year!

Jay