Author Topic: Dolly Drops out of Dollywood opening parade........  (Read 12742 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: Dolly Drops out of Dollywood opening parade........
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 03:15:08 PM »
My 15 yo just bought an Elvis record from a flea market and has been listening to it.  Elvis is an another level, go to Graceland and guess the accents.

"About 200 people streamed into "Elvis Presley's Memphis" after the late singer's wife cut a ribbon and allowed fans to see the $45 million complex for the first time.

Resembling an outdoor mall, the 200,000-square-foot campus sits across the street from Graceland, Presley's longtime home-turned-museum. "

Sounds like  a blockbuster opening, I wonder why it didnt garner more attention.

https://www.voanews.com/a/elvis-presley-graceland-opens-forty-five-million-dollar-complex/3747928.html

An opening day of 200 Is in league with a park that breaks 20000 a day regularly. ?
\

Graceland has over 600,000 paid visitors a year. They are there for Elvis. If there was a theme park named after Elvis with rides he actually rode, they'd likely go there and ride them. They'd 5 bucks a pop to set with a wax figure and take a turn on a knock off ferris wheel from Roustabout no telling how much they'd pay for the picture. 600k per annum for what was Libertyland wouldhave been swell. Graceland is second most toured private residence in America behind only the White House( and it's a hassle but free, Graceland ain't cheap and there's no group ons) There's no telling how many go and just look outside the gate. Please stop and find another celebrity to back your arguement up with. Elvis ain't it. I'm sorry my calling you out on using Elvis triggered you, it's the wrong example though. In fact, the Cash family is getting the old home in Dyess Colony up and going..

I suggest you use Conway Twitty and Twitty City.

OKTHXBAI
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 03:29:38 PM by chittlins »

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 03:32:24 PM »
While I'm on a tear

http://dyesscash.astate.edu/

ASU has done a bang up job. I hope this becomes a National Historical Monument nto just for Cash but because of the History of Dyess Colony as well

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 09:06:06 PM »
Lol, did you guys know chittlins is an Elvis fan?

To bring it back to Dolly though, I'm not sure she's ever cultivated that much fan fervor - or at least it's not as evident looking at DW. They have a nice little museum for her, but it's not like this huge Graceland shrine. Not to be too morbid, but I wonder if this stuff would have been a bigger deal for DW if she had died sooner instead of fading off slowly. I guess the thing about Elvis and the Beatles was that they were actually part of a music/genre revolution, whereas Dolly is just a huge country music name.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 09:13:55 PM »
Not to be too morbid, but I wonder if this stuff would have been a bigger deal for DW if she had died sooner instead of fading off slowly. I guess the thing about Elvis and the Beatles was that they were actually part of a music/genre revolution, whereas Dolly is just a huge country music name.
I agree that she is less integrated into the park that you might think and a modification to the name could retain history but also invite new acts.  We forget how old these folks really are because we are looking at photos from 20 years ago.  I am sure they have plans for these things in place, to some extent.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 10:22:04 PM »
Well speaking of photos. Looking at Priscilla Presley and Dolly I wonder who has more Botox ? They both look scary as hell. If you would meet either one in the woods after dark you wouldn’t know whether to shoot it or say hi.

Graceland ? Went there once. Could not pay me to go back.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 08:02:57 AM by Runner1960 »

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2018, 10:54:10 AM »

To bring it back to Dolly though, I'm not sure she's ever cultivated that much fan fervor - or at least it's not as evident looking at DW. They have a nice little museum for her, but it's not like this huge Graceland shrine. Not to be too morbid, but I wonder if this stuff would have been a bigger deal for DW if she had died sooner instead of fading off slowly. I guess the thing about Elvis and the Beatles was that they were actually part of a music/genre revolution, whereas Dolly is just a huge country music name.

I'm not that big of a fan, I'm just from Memphis and understand the impact that he still has. It was a bad example to use. There's been over 21 million paid visits to Graceland since 1982. On of the top 5 internation sources of toirism is Brazil, they love their Elvis, so do the Japanese. If they had converted Libertyland to Elvisland and based areas after his movies, it very well may have done well after his death

I will say they could convert Dollywood back to the Silver Dollar City name now and not miss much a beat. Dolly is and was marketing but several factors played into the park growing. Orpyland's closure in Nashville and it being perfectly placed for and nice getaway spot for Atlanta and Charlotte as they grew. Flying into TYS is still and bit of a drive and expensive as hell. If things take off at BKG again, there's an advantage to be had for SDC, all he way to offering shuttle service to an on site hotel one day. Just saying.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 10:56:53 AM by chittlins »

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2018, 02:18:54 PM »

I'm not that big of a fan, I'm just from Memphis and understand the impact that he still has. It was a bad example to use. There's been over 21 million paid visits to Graceland since 1982. On of the top 5 internation sources of toirism is Brazil, they love their Elvis, so do the Japanese. If they had converted Libertyland to Elvisland and based areas after his movies, it very well may have done well after his death

I will say they could convert Dollywood back to the Silver Dollar City name now and not miss much a beat. Dolly is and was marketing but several factors played into the park growing. Orpyland's closure in Nashville and it being perfectly placed for and nice getaway spot for Atlanta and Charlotte as they grew. Flying into TYS is still and bit of a drive and expensive as hell. If things take off at BKG again, there's an advantage to be had for SDC, all he way to offering shuttle service to an on site hotel one day. Just saying.

I go to Memphis once a year to run the St. JUde marathon which is a wonderful cause by the way. I was disappointed this year because the entire main street trolley was down. Hopefully they are making improvements but it just seemed the entire downtown was a little sketchier this year.
The one thing I recalled about Graceland was they were selling roses for people to toss on Elvis's grave. well, several in my tour group had bought them and at the appropriate time they tossed the roses and we continued on. As we left the area I looked back and saw a Graceland employee run out and gather up the flowers. I assume to take back across the road and resell again. LOL
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 07:58:38 PM by shavethewhales »

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2018, 07:45:27 PM »

Quote fail, but I got it.

Memphis is in flux. most everything is happening on the South end on Main.

Let's See, the new Old Domminic Distillery has opened

The new Malco movieplex with old school mezzanine seating, they sadly had to nix the rooftop, open air screen because the  roof of the old powerplant at Central Station couldn't take it, to fix that was  going to be astronomical.

There's lots of things coming up, lots of new infill, One Beale hotel tower and office tower, reno of 100 North Main into a 500 room Lowes Hotel and 200 apts plus new 34 story office tower adjacent to it, 300 million dollar redo of the convention center. The permits have been pulled for the Convention Center.  And... you should see the plans St. Jude has for the Pinch District. You would be surprised how much real estate they own around there. Entire blocks.

http://wreg.com/2017/01/18/bicentennial-gateway-project-plans-to-revitalize-pinch-district-st-jude-and-surrounding-areas/

Brooks Art Museum is relocating downtown.

Memphis is getting an USL soccer team to play in Autozone with the plan to build a soccer specific stadium downtown if it takes off.

The streetcars are all being rebuilt and should be back this year.

They are talking a 100 million dollar plus aquarium for Mud Island. I still maintain that they should model it after Tivoli Gardens. So many of the pieces are there. Amp, the River Walk, River Museum that needs some love all already there, Put the Aquarium on the southern tip and put ride in the northern end between the museum and the bridge. Think 4oo ft. Star Flyer, 300ft. wheel, 300 ft drop tower, a couple of coasters, half dozen flats  and an encloused  kiddie pavilion with 4 of  5 kiddie rides around a doubel deck caroussel with party room for birthdays and what not. All the rides would be the same color scheme with disign ques taking for 1800s iron work on paddlewheelers. Put a Soarin' type ride that features a flight down the Mississippi in the Mississippi. But that's just me.

I think Arkansas should undertake a major project to build up islands on their side for development, the lakes created for the build up would compensate for the water displacement. 3 of 4 Islands in total. One for Office/Corporate, One for mixed use/residential, One for tourism things like Great Wolf, and one flex. Other areas  still in the flood plain would be developed into natural areas with trails and wetlands. It would also have a slack water harbor with a deep channel dredges to allow full access to the river. It would also allow for a nice river side park as a buffer from the Islands.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2018, 07:25:36 PM »
It's funny that Dollywood is the exact opposite corner of TN from Memphis. ;)

I always wanted to go to Graceland, but every time I got beat up by I-40 from LR to Memphis, and then navigated the constant construction zone that is Memphis itself, I quickly talked myself out of stopping by for a tour.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2018, 07:40:15 PM »
It's funny that Dollywood is the exact opposite corner of TN from Memphis. ;)

I always wanted to go to Graceland, but every time I got beat up by I-40 from LR to Memphis, and then navigated the constant construction zone that is Memphis itself, I quickly talked myself out of stopping by for a tour.

Yeah, it's up there where their corn comes from a can.

I-40 Mem/Lit will make you a man or a wimpering baby.

At this point in Dolly's life, I don't want to see anything of her's dropping out.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 07:59:04 PM by chittlins »

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 11:13:18 AM »
On the Dolly conversation....

I really don't see HFE ever changing Dollywood back to SDC.  At least not for a generation or two.  The Dollywood brand in my mind is a lot more than just Dolly.  The brand has been built up to mean 'southern' family fun.  Sure Dolly is a big reason why that is but HFE has built out a well-respected park that visitors seem to love.  It would be one think if the park was struggling in its reviews and it market penetration....they would probably want a new fresh brand.  But looking at their growth and what seems like a great reputation....seems risky to change it...especially to a brand like SDC which is basically the same thing.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"