Author Topic: Dolly Drops out of Dollywood opening parade........  (Read 12744 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Dolly Drops out of Dollywood opening parade........
« on: February 07, 2018, 08:06:23 AM »
https://www.pigeonforgetnguide.com/blog/news/dolly-parton-no-longer-pigeon-forge-parade-grand-marshal/#

I wonder if they could be phasing her out of the limelight for aging reasons.  This makes me wonder if they will ever revert back to SDC tn with the bit of notoriety SDC is getting for Christmas ect.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Dolly Drops out of Dollywood opening parade........
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 08:21:15 AM »
lol, no way. Dolly may be getting older, but her fame will live on through another generation or two. She is basically the queen of Tennessee. A lot of people forget how popular she is over there. She's just old now and is past the time of her life where she needs to be the big star dwarfing everyone else.

And besides that, DW has been getting the credit for Christmas events a lot longer than SDC. You can expect them to get their own version of Christmas in Midtown soon that will be even bigger than SDC's. 

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 08:52:17 AM »
They might phase out the person....  BUT no way that "we" will see the name phase out..   

Shave is right, her name will be famous for as long as Country Music is played...

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 09:47:58 AM »
Id be more 'concerned' about HFE changing SDC to Dollywood:Branson

Dollywood has an amazing national market recognition that is much much more well known then the SDC brand.  Not only is it loved locally in its market....it is actually has a National/International brand.  As weird as it is to say I'm guessing Dolly's eventually passing will actually only help the brand....at least for one more generation.

The TV show "The Middle" recently had a character that worked a summer at Dollywood as a cowgirl in a show.  It was all done in a deadpan way to evoke giggles about how silly it sounds for someone to be so excited about spending a summer there.  That being said....it was a good example of how Hollywood recognizes the Dollywood brand.  As long as the park itself continues to provide great experiences that type of market recognition isn't bad.

"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 09:53:38 AM »
It's not a Dollywood Parade...its a Pigeon Forge Parade. 

The article quotes Dolly as saying "Dollywood has hogged the spotlight long enough." 
You have a great past just ahead of you.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 07:45:46 AM »
lol, no way. Dolly may be getting older, but her fame will live on through another generation or two. She is basically the queen of Tennessee.

I am not attempting to be controversial or anti Dolly I loved Dollywood but Shave I dont know that you remember this I wouldnt think so but Sandune does.  Here is the question, if there was a park in Memphis Called Elvis land how would have that park done after July 77?  I am pro Dolly 100% thinking about going this summer  Notice SDC is no longer relying on real people as the spokesman (Shad Heller) they are inserting stuffed dogs and Rudolf into the parks.  Like Disneyland they know the animals on the jungle cruise are not real but they look good are entertaining and always do it the same way, they are always in a good mood ect.   And most importantly they can be controlled, they don't get sick or pass away.
Life after Dolly is a real consideration and I bet its been spoken about at length behind closed doors.   How would a Beatles park do today? with a 8 year old kid?  they know nothing about Dolly and in 14 years they will be the ones bringing their kids somewhere.   Will it be to Dollywood if they are still dependant upon her name that strongly? Will that child have any attachment to Dolly?   Just something to ponder.   Elvis, Johhny Cash, the Beatles....would any of them fill a park to the profit point today?   We forget how quickly people forget, if you are about 50 you begin to realize how this works first hand.  I think this is worth some consideration.   Dollywood (Opryland #2) with regular entertainer guests? maybe.  But change will have to come.  This may sound crazy but had I told you 10 years ago they would drop all references Dixie from the theater as to not offend and you might balk as well,  but.......

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 08:32:49 AM »
Yeah it's hard to say what the long-term future holds, but personally I think an Elvis park or a Beatles park would actually still do OK. Both are still recognized brand world-wide and still get a lot of play time if you listen to the right stations.

Plus you have to consider that Dolly's life and career made it further into to the digital age than either Elvis or the Beatles, so I feel like a lot more of this generation knows and understands her vs. some of those that came just before her. Plus all of her philanthropic endeavors have gained her some long lasting fame and recognition.

Also, DW really isn't that centered around Dolly. She has never turned it into an actual Dolly theme park. I feel like she is more of an added attraction or brand to an already huge and popular theme park. I think most of the customer base knows in various terms that Dollywood is an SDC with a Dolly museum. 

So all-in-all, DW isn't going to change names within the next 25 years. 30-50 years from now? We'll just have to see. 

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 05:36:14 PM »
lol, no way. Dolly may be getting older, but her fame will live on through another generation or two. She is basically the queen of Tennessee.

I am not attempting to be controversial or anti Dolly I loved Dollywood but Shave I dont know that you remember this I wouldnt think so but Sandune does.  Here is the question, if there was a park in Memphis Called Elvis land how would have that park done after July 77?  I am pro Dolly 100% thinking about going this summer  Notice SDC is no longer relying on real people as the spokesman (Shad Heller) they are inserting stuffed dogs and Rudolf into the parks.  Like Disneyland they know the animals on the jungle cruise are not real but they look good are entertaining and always do it the same way, they are always in a good mood ect.   And most importantly they can be controlled, they don't get sick or pass away.
Life after Dolly is a real consideration and I bet its been spoken about at length behind closed doors.   How would a Beatles park do today? with a 8 year old kid?  they know nothing about Dolly and in 14 years they will be the ones bringing their kids somewhere.   Will it be to Dollywood if they are still dependant upon her name that strongly? Will that child have any attachment to Dolly?   Just something to ponder.   Elvis, Johhny Cash, the Beatles....would any of them fill a park to the profit point today?   We forget how quickly people forget, if you are about 50 you begin to realize how this works first hand.  I think this is worth some consideration.   Dollywood (Opryland #2) with regular entertainer guests? maybe.  But change will have to come.  This may sound crazy but had I told you 10 years ago they would drop all references Dixie from the theater as to not offend and you might balk as well,  but.......

Don't use Elvis and Memphis for your argument. Elvis helps bring over 2 million international tourists to Memphis a year. Graceland is big business. They maybe should have renamed Libertyland after Elvis and rethemed the rides to everything Elvis. Prince's family knew and hired EPE for Paisley Park. And... if you ask me they should have moved the Zippin Pippin or copied it like Green Bay across from Graceland.  Considering the new stuff they are building around there including a 500 room hotel, The ZP and a mock up of the carnival from Roustabout would likely had been a hit. The ZP existed before Libertyland just fine

http://www.historic-memphis.com/memphis-historic/aerials/aerial-fairgrounds-racetrack-pippin-1930.jpg

Letting the rights to Zippin Pippin go for a song is one of the biggest blunders Memphis has made. Thanks to Fed Ex, the classic carousel has found a great new home at the Childrens Museum this year after restoration . It had sat in a trailer inside the mothballed Mid South Coliseum for years.

http://ilovememphisblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/IMG_3479.jpg
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 05:50:47 PM by chittlins »

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 07:04:59 PM »
Don't use Elvis and Memphis for your argument. Elvis helps bring over 2 million international tourists to Memphis a year. Graceland is big business. They maybe should have renamed Libertyland after Elvis and rethemed the rides to everything Elvis. Prince's family knew and hired EPE for Paisley Park. And... if you ask me they should have moved the Zippin Pippin or copied it like Green Bay across from Graceland.  Considering the new stuff they are building around there including a 500 room hotel, The ZP and a mock up of the carnival from Roustabout would likely had been a hit. The ZP existed before Libertyland just fine

http://www.historic-memphis.com/memphis-historic/aerials/aerial-fairgrounds-racetrack-pippin-1930.jpg

Letting the rights to Zippin Pippin go for a song is one of the biggest blunders Memphis has made. Thanks to Fed Ex, the classic carousel has found a great new home at the Childrens Museum this year after restoration . It had sat in a trailer inside the mothballed Mid South Coliseum for years.

http://ilovememphisblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/IMG_3479.jpg
« Last Edit: Today at 05:50:47 PM by chittlins »
Report to

Hey no arguing going on here and no scorn meant upon "The King".  I chose whom I thought was a comparable  star in size along with the Beatles for the sake of discussion. 
 I certainly didnt mean to upset anyone.
Enjoy your night.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 08:12:05 PM »
I am not attempting to be controversial or anti Dolly I loved Dollywood but Shave I dont know that you remember this I wouldnt think so but Sandune does. 

HEY... MH!!   what are you "suggesting" about me???     :o :o

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 08:31:18 PM »
I know you remember Elvis passing.  You are old enough to have seen "legends" pass and what happens with the name.  You always make money off someone not putting out products but interest wains.  That's what I am saying, I know you are as old as I am.  You have seen change.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 08:37:53 PM »
I know you remember Elvis passing.  You are old enough to have seen "legends" pass and what happens with the name.  You always make money off someone not putting out products but interest wains.  That's what I am saying, I know you are as old as I am.  You have seen change.

My 15 yo just bought an Elvis record from a flea market and has been listening to it.  Elvis is an another level, go to Graceland and guess the accents.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 09:44:39 PM »
My 15 yo just bought an Elvis record from a flea market and has been listening to it.  Elvis is an another level, go to Graceland and guess the accents.

"About 200 people streamed into "Elvis Presley's Memphis" after the late singer's wife cut a ribbon and allowed fans to see the $45 million complex for the first time.

Resembling an outdoor mall, the 200,000-square-foot campus sits across the street from Graceland, Presley's longtime home-turned-museum. "

Sounds like  a blockbuster opening, I wonder why it didnt garner more attention.

https://www.voanews.com/a/elvis-presley-graceland-opens-forty-five-million-dollar-complex/3747928.html

An opening day of 200 Is in league with a park that breaks 20000 a day regularly. ?
\
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 10:06:15 PM by mhguy77 »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 07:08:14 AM »

MH,  Well put.   LOL.. 

See?      I thought you were calling me an OLD fart!!!      ::) 

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 07:29:27 AM »
I thought you were calling me an OLD fart!!!      ::)

Sandune, I am an old fart, I am good with it! Happy to be here still playing the game, that's after all that really matters.  Looking forward to visiting this year!