Author Topic: Grand Palace is sold at auction...  (Read 9349 times)

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Grand Palace is sold at auction...
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2018, 08:04:52 AM »
Honestly, I drive through Springfield on they way to St. Louis and to Branson and I didn't know about their awesome aquarium. So I am that person that Swoosh is talking about.

The nice thing about this type of attraction is it will be another that you can visit all year.

Jay

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2018, 08:18:28 AM »
Still haven't been to WOL. The only reason my family ever stepped foot in Springfield was to visit the Bass Pro. Most families don't think to stop in another city on the way to Branson, and even if they did, here is one less reason they feel the need to do so.

This is going to be a big hit, and will add to the mass of truly substantial attractions in Branson. I'm a little sad they never figured out how to get the palace going again as a venue, but this is probably the best case scenario going forward.

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2018, 08:36:08 AM »
I’m not sure how one could drive anywhere near Springfield and not know about wonders of wildlife. There are billboards everywhere. We love it. Bought season passes.

I’m not against it but it will be quite expensive. Probably another attraction we won’t visit because of the cost.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2018, 08:50:59 AM »
Thoughts...

46,000sf is rather small these days. Sadly, once you have been to The Georgia Aquarium, all others in the states fail to compare and one has to keep an open mind about respective markets. Otherwise, one has to traverse the globe to find peers.

The Boardwalk? Hopefully this mirrors Parrot Island in Pigeon Poop. Replace the Big Wheel(Since The Track has the former Navy Pier one)with a 300 to 400 ft. Star Flyer and we 'n bidniss.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2018, 01:47:48 PM »
I wonder how this will tie into the Grand Palace proposed expansion ? They were going for some kind of tourist trap boardwalk experience. BTW I just got back from Asbury Park NJ and The Stone Pony. Now that is some authentic Boardwalk stuff. Not fake fantasy stuff.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2018, 09:03:57 AM »
Flag on the play.  Deleted comments.  Play nice.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2018, 11:22:58 AM »
Seems like the current owners are leaning toward the aquarium concept. Here's more info from KY3:

https://www.ky3.com/content/news/Proposed-Branson-aquarium-could-include-large-octopus-reaching-towards-the-strip-500424951.html

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2018, 11:50:41 AM »
Like almost any other project in town... 

they want tax incentives,
free land,
"give me this, Give me that".!
More free stuff..

YEAH!!   we will build that..!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2018, 02:43:40 PM »
They aren't asking for "free land", they are asking for permission to build into the ROW for their giant octopus thing that will interact with the sidewalk. This is something that Branson has encouraged developers to do as part of the Spirit of 76 project.

Tax incentives are a no-brainer here. On a macro level, they get abused a lot, but if you want big, unique developments you have to help them along. They are taking a bigger risk vs. someone building a walmart or a hotel. If this gets built, everyone will benefit from the increased traffic. You can't really say the same about most general development (although developers certainly try to).

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2018, 04:11:57 PM »
They aren't asking for "free land", they are asking for permission to build into the ROW for their giant octopus thing that will interact with the sidewalk. This is something that Branson has encouraged developers to do as part of the Spirit of 76 project.

Tax incentives are a no-brainer here. On a macro level, they get abused a lot, but if you want big, unique developments you have to help them along. They are taking a bigger risk vs. someone building a walmart or a hotel. If this gets built, everyone will benefit from the increased traffic. You can't really say the same about most general development (although developers certainly try to).

Shave, I understand very well what your saying, and what they are asking/requesting....

It just seems everytime something major is proposed they builders want money, incentives, tax breaks, and special considerations.

The article said the octopus would be within 10ft of 76. .  that is too close, especially if it s a moving display... it will distract drivers, regardless of what they say... If it is that BIG, we can see it in the parking lot...!!

As far a bigger development, I just dont agree with it..
IF you have a money making project, get your financing and build it.  A money maker will pay its own way... 
If  your not sure? raise a couple million dollars and ask for breaks and incentives, if the project fails your not out any money, take the deduction, and you can move on to the next "project"

Just the way I fell about it, My opinion..  No disagreements, no argruments.