Author Topic: New Name for Dixie Stampede  (Read 7431 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
New Name for Dixie Stampede
« on: January 09, 2018, 04:53:30 PM »
I just saw this on another site...

I cant help if there isnt a different underlying reason for change ::) ::)

http://www.wate.com/news/local-news/dolly-partons-dixie-stampede-to-drop-dixie-from-name/907808106

PIGEON FORGE, Tenn. (WATE) - Dolly Parton's "Dixie Stampede" will have a new name for the 2018 season.

In a release Monday, Parton announced the show will go by the name "Dolly Parton's Stampede" when it re-opens in late January for the 2018 season.

“Our shows currently are identified by where they are located,” Parton said. “Some examples are Smoky Mountain Adventures or Dixie Stampede. We also recognize that attitudes change and feel that by streamlining the names of our shows, it will remove any confusion or concerns about our shows and will help our efforts to expand into new cities.”

The dinner attraction, which is owned by World Choice Investments, has plans to expand into new communities around the world in 2018.

There are currently locations in Pigeon Forge; Branson, Missouri; and Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: New Name for Dixie Stampede
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 08:39:16 PM »
I'm pretty liberal, but I'm rolling my eyes pretty hard at this. Seems like they are worried about how it would look in other markets as they open new properties. I think you'd have to go out to Portland or San Francisco to find enough people who would take offense for that to matter though. Maybe they are planning one for San Fran.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 10:49:17 PM »
This is the only reaction I can make for this:

They are obviously making a knee jerk reaction to avoid any controversy due to the current political climate. But unfortunately it is probably a good idea on their part to be proactive.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 11:00:13 PM by sdcfan88 »

SDC-BMW

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Dixie Stampede renamed
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 10:51:47 PM »
Just as I thought, the PC police reached out. Now Dolly Parton Stampede.  ???

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Dixie Stampede renamed
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 11:29:58 PM »
SWOOSH

SDC-BMW

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Re: Dixie Stampede renamed
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 11:58:04 PM »
You would think this would go in the Branson Talk side as it's not another park but ok.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 08:25:23 AM »
I merged the threads. Pretty much anything about Branson goes in here, even if it's some kind of other park. The other board is for parks that are a ways away.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 08:50:27 AM »
I merged the threads. Pretty much anything about Branson goes in here, even if it's some kind of other park. The other board is for parks that are a ways away.

Whew!  Thanks Shave,!  That was getting confusing..... :o :o :o   ::) ::) ::)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 09:23:56 AM »
Although I just realized that this isn't about the Branson location specifically - it's the whole chain including the pigeon forge location. LOL, either way it's probably easier to find the topic on this board I guess.

Anyway though, I'm trying to figure out where the objection to "Dixie" is coming from. It's a loose referece to the South in general, and although it has some historical connotation to the south in the civil war, it's still a reference to the region rather than the confederacy.

I just seems like they put too much weight on some comments from people who won't be going to the show anyway. I wonder if this decision gets reversed before long...

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 10:41:50 AM »
In the KY3 article covering this, they mentioned that there are plans to build in locations outside America. So in foreign markets, it would make more sense to call it "Dolly Parton's Stampede" because people overseas are more likely to know who Dolly is versus what "Dixie" means.

Personally, I like the change. *shrugs*

kbosch1

• McCoy
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 10:57:36 AM »
I remember this review getting traction this summer and is spurred some debate....

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2017/08/visiting_dolly_parton_s_dinner_show_dixie_stampede.html

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 04:28:26 PM »
Although I just realized that this isn't about the Branson location specifically - it's the whole chain including the pigeon forge location. LOL,

Which is why I had put it under other parks..  because it draws a Major Crowd, and they are talking about expanding in the USA and across seas....  LOL.  Not really local by any means....  ;)

In the KY3 article covering this, they mentioned that there are plans to build in locations outside America. So in foreign markets, it would make more sense to call it "Dolly Parton's Stampede" because people overseas are more likely to know who Dolly is versus what "Dixie" means.

Although I am sure the "Dixie" thing is a "Problem" for the PTB,  The name change will be easier to market worldwide.. After all...... Who Dont Know Dolly?.    LOL

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 09:20:09 AM »
I was reading the facebook comments from the story posted by my local news outlet.  It is mind-numbing how emotionally stupid people get over this stuff.

I ridiculous number of "I've never going again"..."Dolly gave in"...."This is why Branson is dying"...."what are they going to do next" .........a few "It's about time"

I does make sense to do it business wise....especially if they are going to copy the format for non-southern markets.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 10:26:17 AM »
I was reading the facebook comments from the story posted by my local news outlet.  It is mind-numbing how emotionally stupid people get over this stuff.

I ridiculous number of "I've never going again"..."Dolly gave in"...."This is why Branson is dying"...."what are they going to do next" .........a few "It's about time"

I does make sense to do it business wise....especially if they are going to copy the format for non-southern markets.

yep, people are ridiculous online.  And the truth is that most of them are full of poo.  They either didn't go to it anyways, or they'll be back next time they are in the area.

And the idea of Branson dying, when their numbers were up (again!) in almost every area.  It's like Yogi Berra- no one goes there anymore because it's to crowded.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 12:37:01 PM »

yep, people are ridiculous online.  And the truth is that most of them are full of poo.  They either didn't go to it anyways, or they'll be back next time they are in the area.

And the idea of Branson dying, when their numbers were up (again!) in almost every area.  It's like Yogi Berra- no one goes there anymore because it's to crowded.

My uneducated opinion about it is that they may lose a few 'loyal' customers over it but 1/2 of those are probably nearing the final visits to Branson anyway....lol  They seem to have enough demand to replace those few.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"