Author Topic: Your Travels Thread (2018)  (Read 68403 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Your Travels Thread (2018)
« Reply #180 on: August 20, 2018, 08:06:02 AM »
Heading to Denver this weekend for a short vault through the two parks. Trying to get by without a rentral car since everything is close together and loosely connected by rail. Should be an interesting experiment at least.

Lakeside has been on my radar for a long time. I LOVE the classic wooden coasters, and Cyclone at Lakeside is about as classic as it gets. The whole park is a trip back to the grand designs of the 1920's, although it is apparently quite a bit rundown these days. Would like to see for myself though - people always said the same things about Bell's.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #181 on: August 20, 2018, 10:25:39 AM »
Had an incredible time at Cedar Point, even when it decided to open up and pour buckets of rain on us the second day.  Tons of rides and just a fantastic trip, including a stop on the way home at the National Museum of the USAF.

Now it's trying to get all of the video and photos put together into something that can be watched.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 20, 2018, 10:38:30 AM »
Had an incredible time at Cedar Point, even when it decided to open up and pour buckets of rain on us the second day.  Tons of rides and just a fantastic trip, including a stop on the way home at the National Museum of the USAF.

Now it's trying to get all of the video and photos put together into something that can be watched.

How's the restoration of the Memphis Belle going?

A black day(one of many)in Memphis history under the King Willie regime.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 21, 2018, 08:21:04 AM »

How's the restoration of the Memphis Belle going?

A black day(one of many)in Memphis history under the King Willie regime.

On display and looking gorgeous!

I haven't uploaded the photos yet, but when I do, they'll be at sirwillow.smugmug.com  Very likely will be the weekend or early next week before I get it done.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 21, 2018, 09:56:51 AM »
The plane belongs in the Smithsonian at Dulles, at the very least a, if not the, signature piece at the WW2 Museum in Nawlins. Memphis leadership was horrible under Willie Herrington. The city is still trying to recover from his reign of ineptitude and cronyism.

A great read:

https://memphismagazine.com/the-past-present-and-future-of-the-memphis-belle/

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 21, 2018, 09:07:11 PM »
Headed for Denver, 
No not going to any of the parks.. 

Going Bike riding in the hills... Love it out there...

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 21, 2018, 09:18:31 PM »
Headed for Denver, 
No not going to any of the parks.. 

Going Bike riding in the hills... Love it out there...

I used to ride in Durango a lot but it was a Mountain bike and the only motor was my legs. :)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 21, 2018, 09:30:17 PM »
I used to ride in Durango a lot but it was a Mountain bike and the only motor was my legs. :)

Uh>?  Yea, No Thank you!    96CI and 6 speed with Cruise and my Stereo..

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 23, 2018, 02:45:31 PM »
I've got some from the recent trip to Cedar Point posted up.  Had a great trip, but yes, weather still certainly had it's role to play as well.

Day 1 video can be seen at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfsTRCod6k8
Day 2 should be up Friday or Saturday

You can also see my live stream in the rain from Cedar Point at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOaqdFKQcFI

And the Cedar Point train ride in 360 degree video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRVSHHuOKZY

I'll likely have a full park and ride review next week, as well as videos from our stop at the National Museum of the USAF.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 24, 2018, 10:26:40 PM »
With Spring Break being our really big trip for the year nearly 6 months in the rear view window, I'm getting really jittery needing to pull the trigger on things for the 2019 Euro Trip. I had a fairly set plan and that's evaporating quickly.

Anyhoo, as it stands, The mood of my clan is go, go, go till the cruise which will provide a relative rest. They want to see as many places as feasible. I have always said this was an appetizer sampler plate where we will see what we like go back for more in the following years. I already know my wife will love Italy. As it stands, we'll fly into Manchester. I've planned a brief stop at SFOG, after leaving MEM around 6am before getting over to ATL for a evening hop across the pond on Virgin Atlantic. Supposed landing time 8:30am( my body clock will think it's 3am. I hope we all get  couple hrs of napping in before landing because I know my crew will be incapable of sleep with being in England.  I'll have two options, either one effects the days in London and I'll i'll have to pull the trigger soon as my apt rental pool there is getting shallower by the day. We'll either head to Blackpool and hit up Pleasure Beach for a few hours till it's time to head to Alton Tower's resort to check in and crash or head to Alton Tower's park straight away and hit the park whilst we wait for our hotel room check in. We'd likely get in as much as we can and this will be our day at Alton Towers.

If we go for Blackpool, well do a full day at Alton Tower the following day and drive a bit and spend the night at Stratford upon Avon. I may see if any plays at the Shakespere theater interest us. IF not, we'll leave Alton Towers and spend a couple of hours here and off for a Cotswold drive and a stop for lunch, then on for a late afternoon visit to Stonehenge and a night nearby.  The next day the theme park junkie in me screams Paulton's before heading into London but the wife on the shoulder says backdoor the RAF Museum, ditch the car at Stanstead and head into London via rail/tube.

London will have at least two full days. One is what I call London Tower day, we'll tour the Tower and Bridge as early as possible, eat a late lunch and then head to the British Museum for however long we can stay. I'm sure we could spend an entire day there but...  That evening after supper I'm sure we'll lose momma to rest and the kids and I will hit up the EYE and surrounding area or find someplace to explore like Oxford St. or market area. Day two will be the Changing of the Guards day, I hope to get in the Churchill War Rooms and Buckingham Palace tour as well. We may do the V&A. That depends of the museum interest of the clan, I'd love to hit up the Imperial War Museum. That evening I hope for a possible play at the Globe or modern fare in West End.

The next day depends on what we decide upon arrival. If we hit up Alton Towers first thing, we have another day in London. If not, ee are off to Disneyland Paris via the train and Chunnel.  We'll be literally at the front gate around 2:30 pm. We'll use Disney's luggage service to deliver our bags to the on site hotel we decide to stay at. The New York conversion to Marvel will not be done and Sequoia's major pool refurb won't be done but I'm leaning there over the gosh awful expensive Disneyland PAris Hotel and their Cape Cod knock off. We will hit up the only park that Disney has that makes Hollywood Studios appear well thought out and competent. We'll ride the rides and eat at Chez Remy and depending on what we have accomplished and the operating hours, head to Disneyland and get the Fireworks out of the way that night. The next day is Disneyland and then we'll head into Paris that evening and do the Eiffel at night. The next day is the Louvre early, the kids we tire of art quickly so no more than2 to 3 hrs. We'll cruise the Seine, take in the Champs and the Arc, see Luxembourg Gardens, some trendy area and head to catacombs as late as we can(book it really early) and tour it.  The next day we'll hit up D'Orsay, try to incorporate a short visit to Jardin D'acclimation to credit hound the new gerstlauer as we head to Versailles for the Afternoon.

Next day, pick up rental, pick up the rest at the hotel and head straight to Caen, hit the museum, head to the American Cemetary, Point du Hoc, Ste Mere Eglise, the Utah Beach Museum and head to close to Mont St. Michel for the night. Either visit at night or catch it at Sunrise the next day and head to Puy do Fou for a 11/2 days and two nights there. Yes, I know, no Bayeux Tapestry. The kids would be bored. That's a dish left to sample later on with just the Wife and I along with wine tasting and the Loire Valley. Can you say river cruise.

Then off to Spain either via Nantes or Bordeaux, all depends on flight times, I'm sure we'll stop at least at one winery. The daughter demands it as she's legal there.  ::)

I'll pick up later.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 02:20:40 PM by chittlins »

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 14, 2018, 11:38:21 AM »
Thanks so much for those Memphis Belle photos. Still, I wish it had ended up in Nawlins at the WW2 museum.

Man, my Europe trip is getting real, I just booked 3 nights at Europa at the new hotel Kronosar. I do hope the water park is open by mid June. Otherwise I may switch it over to the Roman themed hotel, but we are coming from Italy so......a bit overkill

We are flying from Strasbourg after this to Bordeaux and to Pu du Fou. They open up for booking for 2019 on Oct 1.

My D-Day itinerary
9am Ste. Mere Eglise Airbourne Museum and Church

11am- Utah Beach and Museuem

1pm- ish- lunch

2pm- Pointe du Hoc

4pm- American Cemetary at Omaha beach, watch Flag lowering and playing of Taps at 5pm,

We'll head to Arromanches to view the  Mulberry Harbor remains, don't see how we'll fit in Arromanches 360 though.

We'll spend the night in Bayeux. Next day the Tapistry and Caen Memorial museum and head to Rouen for the night.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #192 on: September 24, 2018, 08:53:34 PM »
MARCH
17 - Silver Dollar City - Spring Break Days
17 - Silver Dollar City - TIME TRAVELER NOW OPEN
25 - Six Flags St. Louis - Opening Weekend
25 - Six Flags St. Louis - BATMAN BACKWARD! NOW OPEN
27 - (SB) Universal Studios Florida
27 - (SB) Universal Studios Florida - Universal's Super Star Parade
27 - (SB) Universal Studios Florida - Universal's Mardi Gras Parade
28 - (SB) Islands of Adventure - part 1
28 - (SB) Islands of Adventure - part 2
29 - (SB) Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley
29 - (SB) Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogwarts Express
29 - (SB) Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade
29 - (SB) Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Nighttime Lights at Hogwarts Castle
30 - (SB) Daytona International Motor Speedway
30 - (SB) Motorsports Hall of Fame
30 - (SB) Daytona Beach
30 - (SB) Daytona Beach Boardwalk Amusements
30 - (SB) Ponce Inlet Lighthouse
30 - (SB) Fun Spot Orlando
30 - (SB) Coca-Cola Orlando Eye
31 - (SB) Gatorland
31 - (SB) Boggy Creek Airboat
31 - (SB) Fun Spot Kissimmee
31 - (SB) Old Town USA

APRIL
14 - Silver Dollar City - Festival of Wonder
20 - Kansas City Zoo
20 - Worlds of Fun - Opening Day
20 - Worlds of Fun - NORDIC CHASER NOW OPEN
28 - Six Flags St. Louis - BOSS v2.0 NOW OPEN

MAY
10 - Silver Dollar City - Bluegrass & BBQ
19 - Worlds of Fun - TIMBER WOLF REBORN NOW OPEN!
25 - Oceans of Fun - Opening Day
26 - Hurricane Harbor St. Louis - Opening Day

JUNE
2 - Bigfoot On The Strip
2 - The Lumberjack
2 - Heavy Metal Highrise
2 - Wild Woody
2 - The Branson Ferris Wheel
2 - Track 3
2 - Track 4
2 - Track 5
2 - Kids Kountry
13 - Kenny's Funland
15 - America's Fun Park Grand Opening
15 - America's Fun Park
20 - Silver Dollar City - Star-Spangled Summer Festival
20 - The Runaway

JULY
2 - Parakeet Pete's Waterfront Zipline
2 - Parakeet Pete's Steampunk Balloon
4 - Southern Fun Carnival
5 - Dutchman's Deck Adventure Course at MOA
5 - Nickelodeon Universe at MOA
5 - Mall of America
6 - Valleyfair!
6 - Soak City Valleyfair
13 - Six Flag St. Louis - Mardi Gras
19 - Hurricane Harbor St. Louis - TYPHOON TWISTER NOW OPEN!
20 - Adventureland - Bernie's Barnyard NOW OPEN
21- Worlds of Fun - Harlem Globetrotter Experience
22 - Hurricane Harbor Chicago
23 - Six Flags Great America
24 - Michigan's Adventure
24 - Wildwater Adventure
25 - Cedar Point
25 - Cedar Point - Steel Vengeance
26 - Cedar Point Shores
27 - Kings Island

SEPTEMBER
15 - Worlds of Fun - HAUNT (decor)
15 - Worlds of Fun - HAUNT (shows)
15 - Worlds of Fun - HAUNT (mazes)
16 - Worlds of Fun - The Great Pumpkin Fest
29 - Six Flags St. Louis - FRIGHT FEST

WOF's HAUNT (decorations)
https://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2018/09/haunt-decor-wof.html

WOF's HAUNT (shows)
https://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2018/09/haunt-shows-wof.html

WOF's HAUNT (mazes)
https://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2018/09/haunt-mazes-wof.html

WOF's The Great Pumpkin Fest
https://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2018/09/the-great-pumpkin-fest-wof.html

SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 01, 2018, 09:35:39 AM »
Thanks so much for those Memphis Belle photos. Still, I wish it had ended up in Nawlins at the WW2 museum.

Man, my Europe trip is getting real, I just booked 3 nights at Europa at the new hotel Kronosar. I do hope the water park is open by mid June. Otherwise I may switch it over to the Roman themed hotel, but we are coming from Italy so......a bit overkill

We are flying from Strasbourg after this to Bordeaux and to Pu du Fou. They open up for booking for 2019 on Oct 1.

My D-Day itinerary
9am Ste. Mere Eglise Airbourne Museum and Church

11am- Utah Beach and Museuem

1pm- ish- lunch

2pm- Pointe du Hoc

4pm- American Cemetary at Omaha beach, watch Flag lowering and playing of Taps at 5pm,

We'll head to Arromanches to view the  Mulberry Harbor remains, don't see how we'll fit in Arromanches 360 though.

We'll spend the night in Bayeux. Next day the Tapistry and Caen Memorial museum and head to Rouen for the night.

Puy du Fou is Booked! Man is that site busy, an online queue and I was 897 when I started at 4 am got in at 8am.

2 nights in an overwater cottage , Les Ilea de Clovis. 3 days of park tickets(3rd day only 5 euro extra for each of us) we may or may not use the 3rd day. The goal is to be at Mont St. Michel for Sunset on that 3rd day before transitioning to the Normandy/D-Day plans

https://goo.gl/images/jbHsZn

To put this in perspective cost wise, 3 nites/3 days at Europa Park and 2 nites/3days at Puy du Fou with breakfast buffets at both and tickets including preferred seating for Cinescenie and the other shows at  Puy Du Fou has come to around $2,000 bucks with quite nice themed rooms. Compare that with a 5 day stay at WDW in deluxe rooms and a dining plan tickets in peak season

Airfare between Strasbourg to Nantes will run less than $200 on Volotea for 4 or through points via Flying Blue . The problem with using points in Eurpe is the fees often make the flights as expensive as the non point flights. Best to just pay for fares and it could actually be cheaper.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 10:33:56 AM by chittlins »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #194 on: October 24, 2018, 04:37:06 PM »
MARCH
17 - Silver Dollar City - Spring Break Days
17 - Silver Dollar City - TIME TRAVELER NOW OPEN
25 - Six Flags St. Louis - Opening Weekend
25 - Six Flags St. Louis - BATMAN BACKWARD! NOW OPEN
27 - (SB) Universal Studios Florida
27 - (SB) Universal Studios Florida - Universal's Super Star Parade
27 - (SB) Universal Studios Florida - Universal's Mardi Gras Parade
28 - (SB) Islands of Adventure - part 1
28 - (SB) Islands of Adventure - part 2
29 - (SB) Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley
29 - (SB) Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogwarts Express
29 - (SB) Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade
29 - (SB) Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Nighttime Lights at Hogwarts Castle
30 - (SB) Daytona International Motor Speedway
30 - (SB) Motorsports Hall of Fame
30 - (SB) Daytona Beach
30 - (SB) Daytona Beach Boardwalk Amusements
30 - (SB) Ponce Inlet Lighthouse
30 - (SB) Fun Spot Orlando
30 - (SB) Coca-Cola Orlando Eye
31 - (SB) Gatorland
31 - (SB) Boggy Creek Airboat
31 - (SB) Fun Spot Kissimmee
31 - (SB) Old Town USA

APRIL
14 - Silver Dollar City - Festival of Wonder
20 - Kansas City Zoo
20 - Worlds of Fun - Opening Day
20 - Worlds of Fun - NORDIC CHASER NOW OPEN
28 - Six Flags St. Louis - BOSS v2.0 NOW OPEN

MAY
10 - Silver Dollar City - Bluegrass & BBQ
19 - Worlds of Fun - TIMBER WOLF REBORN NOW OPEN!
25 - Oceans of Fun - Opening Day
26 - Hurricane Harbor St. Louis - Opening Day

JUNE
2 - Bigfoot On The Strip
2 - The Lumberjack
2 - Heavy Metal Highrise
2 - Wild Woody
2 - The Branson Ferris Wheel
2 - Track 3
2 - Track 4
2 - Track 5
2 - Kids Kountry
13 - Kenny's Funland
15 - America's Fun Park Grand Opening
15 - America's Fun Park
20 - Silver Dollar City - Star-Spangled Summer Festival

JULY
2 - Parakeet Pete's Waterfront Zipline
2 - Parakeet Pete's Steampunk Balloon
4 - Southern Fun Carnival
5 - Dutchman's Deck Adventure Course at MOA
5 - Nickelodeon Universe at MOA
5 - Mall of America
6 - Valleyfair!
6 - Soak City Valleyfair
13 - Six Flag St. Louis - Mardi Gras
19 - Hurricane Harbor St. Louis - TYPHOON TWISTER NOW OPEN!
20 - Adventureland - Bernie's Barnyard NOW OPEN
21- Worlds of Fun - Harlem Globetrotter Experience
22 - Hurricane Harbor Chicago
23 - Six Flags Great America
24 - Michigan's Adventure
24 - Wildwater Adventure
25 - Cedar Point
25 - Cedar Point - Steel Vengeance
26 - Cedar Point Shores
27 - Kings Island

SEPTEMBER
15 - Worlds of Fun - HAUNT (decor)
15 - Worlds of Fun - HAUNT (shows)
15 - Worlds of Fun - HAUNT (mazes)
16 - Worlds of Fun - The Great Pumpkin Fest
29 - Six Flags St. Louis - FRIGHT FEST (decor)
29 - Six Flags St. Louis - FRIGHT FEST (shows)
29 - Six Flags St. Louis - FRIGHT FEST (mazes)

OCTOBER
21 - Silver Dollar City - Craft and Cowboy Festival

NOVEMBER
4 - Silver Dollar City - An Old Time Christmas (shows)
4 - Silver Dollar City - An Old Time Christmas (decor)
4 - Silver Dollar City - An Old Time Christmas (lights)
24 - Worlds of Fun - Winterfest (shows)
24 - Worlds of Fun - Winterfest (decor)
24 - Worlds of Fun - Winterfest (lights)
25 - Six Flags St. Louis - Holiday in the Park (shows)
25 - Six Flags St. Louis - Holiday in the Park (decor)
25 - Six Flags St. Louis - Holiday in the Park (lights)

SIX FLAGS FRIGHT FEST (decorations)
https://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2018/09/fright-fest-decor-sfstl.html

SIX FLAGS FRIGHT FEST (shows)
https://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2018/09/fright-fest-shows-sfstl.html

SIX FLAGS FRIGHT FEST (mazes)
https://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2018/09/fright-fest-mazes-sfstl.html

SDC CRAFT & COWBOY FESTIVAL
https://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2018/10/craft-and-cowboy-festival-sdc.html

« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 12:39:14 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH