Author Topic: Your Travels Thread (2018)  (Read 68302 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 11:26:56 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: Your Travels Thread (2018)
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2018, 02:24:34 PM »
Fantastic Flight via Southwest to Vegas, window seat, no fear. First stop frim the airport besides the Vegas sign. Ethel M. Mars inc's gormet line of sweetness. This place has a fabulous and free Cactus Garden. We had just missed the major bloom. The plenty of free samples are given I'd check it out if the Garden interests you. The prices are the same at the other locations in town(airport and M&M World)

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2018, 02:31:51 PM »
After we got settled in, off to NY, NY. We hot town in time for playoff NHL hockey with LV having a solid freshman outing. Parking prices got jacked up double and it was more crowed they usual but it was DD's Sweet Sixteen and Manhatter Express was as rough as ever but Hershey's Chocolate World and all those fancy chocolate goodies they offer oh and those shakes, oh those shakes. Of course we hit up Coca Cola and M&M's too. Next up the fantastic Neon Museum with it's new projection mapping show

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2018, 10:22:10 AM »
The Neon Museum is a place that started d a non profit (still is) the preserve Vegas' history of of the use of neon lighting and signage. It is a guided tour, some may find it a bit long winded (my Wife) while some (me) found it fasinating. Only a few signs have been restored. The cost is staggering and some simply don't have enough of the original to make it possible. But..... they have found a way to overcome that a bit. The current one in restimation is the original huge Hard Rock Guitar, cost will be just under 400k. Part one is the Boneyard

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2018, 10:32:35 AM »
Part Two.

The museum has recently started a new experience. You can do it by itself or as part of a combo. (It should be noted that you should book the tour and/or show in advance. A week out most of the times for our trip were already full.) The new experience is called Brilliant. It is a projection mapping show on a collection of signs arrainged in a square. You stand in the middle. They use a mix of classic Vegas music from Sinatra, Martin, Liberace, Elvis and even newer folks like Panic at the Disco (the kids loved that one). This signs are nonoperarional, this is projection mapping and I have to say, this is a fantastick show and pics don't even come close to the real experience as the lighting changes from sign to sign to all of them at once.

This video gives an idea, it is so great in person
https://youtu.be/y4HH4SmRWL0
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 10:37:26 AM by chittlins »

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2018, 08:22:59 PM »

I'm making a long weekend trip to Arlington to go to the park and catch a game with my crew of 5.  I plan on visiting family in St. Louis later this summer and taking a day there (and probably a game too).  Is any of the upgraded tickets worth getting to save money at the two parks? 

I'm about to go try to do the math but thought I throw it out here for advice.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2018, 10:29:11 PM »
The basic gold pass might be cheaper than buying 1 day tickets at each park
SWOOSH

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2018, 08:36:23 PM »

I'm making a long weekend trip to Arlington to go to the park and catch a game with my crew of 5.  I plan on visiting family in St. Louis later this summer and taking a day there (and probably a game too).  Is any of the upgraded tickets worth getting to save money at the two parks? 

I'm about to go try to do the math but thought I throw it out here for advice.

The basic gold pass might be cheaper than buying 1 day tickets at each park

Swoosh is almost certainly right.  It's cheaper to get a season pass for Six Flags than it is to pay for 2 regular days.  If it's remotely convenient, it will be cheaper to buy the pass at St. Louis if you can get there first. Otherwise buy it online, which will also save you a few dollars, and then use that for your park tickets.  You'll also get free parking, discounts on food, and some other extras. Absolutely the way to go.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2018, 10:18:07 PM »
Thx guys...

Ended up being pretty easy to figure out.  SFoT has a deal for a free gold + upgrade with season passes right now....plus when you buy 4+ the rate goes down.  So I was able to get season passes to all parks and parking for about $79 a tix.  Pretty good deal....We'll be able to do SFoT one day then hurricane harbor the next day before the game....plus passes for our Stl trip.

I've also got possible biz trips this year to ATL, CHI, and LA.....if I can get away to visit parks.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2018, 09:09:22 AM »
Thx guys...

Ended up being pretty easy to figure out.  SFoT has a deal for a free gold + upgrade with season passes right now....plus when you buy 4+ the rate goes down.  So I was able to get season passes to all parks and parking for about $79 a tix.  Pretty good deal....We'll be able to do SFoT one day then hurricane harbor the next day before the game....plus passes for our Stl trip.

I've also got possible biz trips this year to ATL, CHI, and LA.....if I can get away to visit parks.

Don't know where you live but Frontit just added San Antonio to Tulsa and Memphis. If I had SF passes this year, I'd be booking a trip to SF Fiesta.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2018, 11:08:48 PM »
Not a bad idea....I live in NWA.

I've got a kidless week coming up and I'm trying to talk the wife into a NYC trip for broadway (her) and SFGA (me)....but she's wanting the beach right now....and not jersey shore...lol

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 28, 2018, 11:32:29 AM »
I had a beautifully written SFoT/baseball trip report drafted up yesterday....all the highlights and low lights of an eventful trip.   Then it got lost in the either of unsaved message board drafts:(

Here are some bullet points instead (without the bullets):

It took 3 tries and 2 days....but got my 3rd RMC ride in this year!!!  Texas Giant is long and fun.  Loved it....#2 on my list of RMCs
My 9yo rode his first 'big' coaster - the classic mine train - fun ride but it's getting pretty rough
Justice League was a surprise to me - better than I thought it would be - my 9yo's favorite ride
The Skyscreamer was fun - the most nervous I've ever been on a ride - just thinking about only being held by a couple of chains 400ft in the air.
My 13yo is an official Coaster nerd now!!!!  Rode them all with me and is ready for the next park - She even used the single rider line for the spinning coaster that I didn't want to ride...lol  She loved Batman and the Giant
My 13yo and I both had 2x blackouts on Titan - really hate the 2nd half of that ride.
Joker is a horrible ride - I found nothing fun about it - Nobody seemed to like it who rode with us - no wonder the line was almost non-existent
My plan to hit the waterpark failed - didn't check the schedule and it wasn't open - so we did Ripley's and a 2nd shord day at SFoT
Babe's Chicken House in Arlington was a great experience - Great food, service, and atmosphere.  Bring a big wallet and empty stomach.
Great ballgame - bad pitching made for a high scoring game with multiple home runs!!! - My Royals fell short but was 20ft from a game tying grand slam on the last out. 
Its hard to believe they are building a new domed ballpark - Current stadium is really impressive but lines for concussions where horrible....and I'm sure they lose some crowds in that steam box when the temps our higher. Still seems crazy to spend millions to replace a stadium only around 10 years old.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 28, 2018, 02:15:44 PM »
I had a beautifully written SFoT/baseball trip report drafted up yesterday....all the highlights and low lights of an eventful trip.   Then it got lost in the either of unsaved message board drafts:(

Here are some bullet points instead (without the bullets):

It took 3 tries and 2 days....but got my 3rd RMC ride in this year!!!  Texas Giant is long and fun.  Loved it....#2 on my list of RMCs
My 9yo rode his first 'big' coaster - the classic mine train - fun ride but it's getting pretty rough
Justice League was a surprise to me - better than I thought it would be - my 9yo's favorite ride
The Skyscreamer was fun - the most nervous I've ever been on a ride - just thinking about only being held by a couple of chains 400ft in the air.
My 13yo is an official Coaster nerd now!!!!  Rode them all with me and is ready for the next park - She even used the single rider line for the spinning coaster that I didn't want to ride...lol  She loved Batman and the Giant
My 13yo and I both had 2x blackouts on Titan - really hate the 2nd half of that ride.
Joker is a horrible ride - I found nothing fun about it - Nobody seemed to like it who rode with us - no wonder the line was almost non-existent
My plan to hit the waterpark failed - didn't check the schedule and it wasn't open - so we did Ripley's and a 2nd shord day at SFoT
Babe's Chicken House in Arlington was a great experience - Great food, service, and atmosphere.  Bring a big wallet and empty stomach.
Great ballgame - bad pitching made for a high scoring game with multiple home runs!!! - My Royals fell short but was 20ft from a game tying grand slam on the last out. 
Its hard to believe they are building a new domed ballpark - Current stadium is really impressive but lines for concussions where horrible....and I'm sure they lose some crowds in that steam box when the temps our higher. Still seems crazy to spend millions to replace a stadium only around 10 years old.

The Ballpark at Arlington opened in 1994, it’s almost 25 years old, not 10.
SWOOSH