Author Topic: Your Travels Thread (2018)  (Read 68303 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: Your Travels Thread (2018)
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2018, 09:22:40 PM »
I would be remiss not to mention that my Mother loved Dixie Crossroads in Titusville and their rock and royal red shrimp that she wanted to eat there again for lunch when we disembarked. Their broiled Royal Reds are heaven.

If you are doing Kennedy Space Center or cruising from Port Canaveral, you need to eat there.

Anyhoo, after an 11 am chow down on Royal Reds we made our way back to Orlando. My Mom hadn't been to WDW since 1988 when she took my Bother and I. I rented points for a DVC at Copper Creek. This would be the current resort that Disney is still selling besides Alunai in Hawaii. They aren't selling the Riviera yet. Anyhoo... I love Wilderness Lodge more than any other Disney resort we have stayed at. Animal Kingdom lodge is up there but it's remoteness is a knock. The new pool area is a big improvement from the old adults only area. there's some first come/ first serve cabana type places and an area of tables.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 09:35:50 PM by chittlins »

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2018, 09:39:07 PM »
Con't

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2018, 04:37:05 AM »
MARCH
17 - SDC Spring Break Days
25 - Six Flags Opening Weekend
27 - Universal Studios Florida
27 - Universal's Super Star Parade (Universal Studios Orlando)
27 - Universal's Mardi Gras Festival (Universal Studios Orlando)
28 - Islands of Adventure - part 1
28 - Islands of Adventure - part 2
29 - Wizard World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley
29 - Harry Potter - Hogwarts Express
29 - Wizard World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade
29 - Wizard World of Harry Potter - Nighttime Lights at Hogwarts Castle
30 - Daytona Motor Speedway
30 - Daytona Beach
30 - Daytona Beach Boardwalk Amusements
30 - Ponce Inlet Lighthouse
30 - Fun Spot Orlando
30 - Coca-Cola Orlando Eye
31 - Gatorland
31 - Boggy Creek Airboat
31 - Fun Spot Kissimmee
31 - Old Town

APRIL
14 - SDC's Festival of Wonder
21 - WOF Opening Day

JULY
01 - Kings Island
02 - Cedar Point
02 - Cedar Point
03 - Toronto
04 - Canada's Wonderland
05 - Michigan’s Adventure

Updated with links to Photo Trip Reports
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 04:05:29 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2018, 10:36:11 AM »
After lunch in Titusville, we drove back to Orlando and checked in early at Wilderness, They had the one room in Copper Creek ready but the other in Boulder Ridge wasn't. I had all the luggage sent to the Copper Room. We got settled and  made our way down to the dock for the trip over to WDW, A brief shower started along the way over but we had $1 plastic Panchos from Wallymurt just for this predicted outbreak of about an hr of rain(Just north of us their were radar warned Tornado Warnings but no lighting or thunder near Disney!) I has hoping the threatending skies would clear the park out a bit.........NOPE! We shopped Main Street as the rain passed and when it let up we made our way left at the Hub. After seeing the crowd and looking at the waits on the app, I was SO glad we had those extra 3 fast passes per person for our day at WDW for doing the DVC thing. We used our regular ones for BTMRR, 7DMT and Pan.  The GrandMom and Mother let the kids double dip at two of those with their FPs  and we used the freebies on rides we all rode, Jungle Cruise, POTC and again let the kids double dip at Space. We all hit Haunted Mansion right after fireworks for a 15 minute wait. The kids had zero interest in Barnstormer this trip, amazing what 3 years will do as they rode it over and over last time,(without much of a wait in the first week of Feb).  Presidents Hall had armed guards, something I missed seeing that the last time (and Conservatives are the hateful bunch 8))

After a willy nilly back and forth day at Animal Kingdom before the cruise. I showe'd disipline and we did Disney Clockwise from the hub. We all went through the SFRTH,(Miss SDCs), Had Vanilla and Orange swirl Dope Whips ;D
Jungle Cruise and Pirates, we ate some quick serve Mexican ::) and then hit Splash Mountain and Big Thunder, we caught the Hall of Presidents and positioned ourselves for the fire works. Afterwards, we made our way to HM for a short wait, (10 minutes, when we came out it was 50) and the kids double dipped on SM and BTMRR in while Mom and Cha Cha shopped at the Christmas store and others nearby. After we made out way to Pan where we all rode and then to SDMT. I had to let Cha Cha check out the Tangled bathrooms and then we made our way to Space while Mom and ChaCha went back to Main Street, The Kids did their two trips on Space and I go my one ride and then we went and met back up on Main Street and went back to The  Wilderness Lodge and crashed for the night. The next day the kids got in a qucik dip in the pool and  we all had a late breakfast at Whispering Canyon before checking our luggage and getting our boarding passes (A16 thur 20 and heading to SeaWorld.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 05:21:16 PM by chittlins »

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2018, 03:58:36 PM »
I has hoping the threatending skies would clear the park out a bit.........NOPE!

Presidents Hall had armed guards, something I missed seeing that the last time (and Conservatives are the hateful bunch 8))

Rain doesn't send anyone packing in Florida.  After spending all of that money on the trip, there's no way they are letting something like rain get in the way of them being in the parks!

And armed guards?  I don't recall ever seeing that.  I didn't go to the Hall on this last trip.  Where were they at?
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2018, 05:16:42 PM »
I has hoping the threatending skies would clear the park out a bit.........NOPE!

Presidents Hall had armed guards, something I missed seeing that the last time (and Conservatives are the hateful bunch 8))

Rain doesn't send anyone packing in Florida.  After spending all of that money on the trip, there's no way they are letting something like rain get in the way of them being in the parks!

And armed guards?  I don't recall ever seeing that.  I didn't go to the Hall on this last trip.  Where were they at?

Two Total, One on each side wall. Both were strapped and not with tasers.

And...

It did on our last trip, but that was on an early Feb Tues. It was even extra magic hours then and the park was open to 1 am. We rodeo'd  Space Mountian and Big Thunder that night. Both were walk ons.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 05:22:28 PM by chittlins »

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2018, 07:55:11 AM »
Our last day, after we left Wilderness Lodge was a stop at SeaWorld. We(all of us except my Mom) had done the rides  to take in the Seven Seas Food Fest at SeaWorld the day we arrived, This was a Tuesday so no Food Fest but it was to see the shows with my Mom instead. I'm going to be honest, I liked the shows at San Antonio better, maybe those have changed since our last visit a couple of summers back but I liked Azul better with the Belugas with the dolphins than just the Dolphins. The Whale show at San Antonio was better too. Clyde and SeaMore was a push. A  Still good.....but kinda thing.

I also think they need to extend the days of Seven Seas to at least Fri and daily during the two prime weeks of spring break. It was Tues and it was packed. The coaster waits were over an hr most of the day.

Speidel

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2018, 11:28:27 AM »

Armed guards bit is news to me too. I didn't notice that back when I visited Presidents Hall a  year or so ago. What were they armed with?
These are the best weight loss pills for men I found online.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2018, 04:06:23 PM »
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 01:12:38 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2018, 11:42:26 AM »
MARCH
17 - SDC Spring Break Days
25 - Six Flags Opening Weekend
27 - Universal Studios Florida
27 - Universal's Super Star Parade (Universal Studios Orlando)
27 - Universal's Mardi Gras Festival (Universal Studios Orlando)
28 - Islands of Adventure - part 1
28 - Islands of Adventure - part 2
29 - Wizard World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley
29 - Harry Potter - Hogwarts Express
29 - Wizard World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade
29 - Wizard World of Harry Potter - Nighttime Lights at Hogwarts Castle
30 - Daytona Motor Speedway
30 - Daytona Beach
30 - Daytona Beach Boardwalk Amusements
30 - Ponce Inlet Lighthouse
30 - Fun Spot Orlando
30 - Coca-Cola Orlando Eye
31 - Gatorland
31 - Boggy Creek Airboat
31 - Fun Spot Kissimmee
31 - Old Town

APRIL
14 - SDC's Festival of Wonder
21 - WOF Opening Day

JULY
01 - Kings Island
02 - Cedar Point
02 - Cedar Point
03 - Toronto
04 - Canada's Wonderland
05 - Michigan’s Adventure

Universal Studios Orlando Resort Trip Reports now all online

Yes the Potter Lights were great. We just didn't take any photos at US /IOA for some reason. I see the dragon doing his thing there for you, he took our day off.  :(

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2018, 06:38:45 PM »
Yes the Potter Lights were great. We just didn't take any photos at US /IOA for some reason. I see the dragon doing his thing there for you, he took our day off.  :(

The Dragon was broke through Tuesday.  They were able to get him fixed for Wednesday.  On Tuesday he would growl but not shoot fire. 
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2018, 01:47:03 PM »
Some thoughts,

You can still get a combo wristband for both parks good for the same day. I'd pencil in both parks for the same day and add some filler in between.

Fun Spot Kissimmee has added some flats at the back of Old Town, Tilt a Whirl being one of them. There isn't a bit of shade back there. There was a ton of room so I asked if they had grander plans and them said that Old Town uses the area for other events as well and they can't set anything up that fairly permanent.

The Star Flyer next to the Coca Cola Eye is a sight to behold. I want to at least fly to Europe from Orlando or come back through to ride it.

Like the ride ops at Maku Puihi slides at Volcano Bay said their would be, there's clear indications a new slide tower base. So... Volcano Bay is growing but nothing official. I suspect more water coasters maybe one being a Mammoth.

Fun Spot Orlando folks said they were getting close to expanding on that extra ground they bought. With Universal resorts set to explode around them  wouldn't doubt it. I wouldn't be shocked if a more extreme steel coaster with launches isn't part of it. I'm kinda short ked they hadn't added one of those SBG Visa spinners as it would be a good fit there

There's a big Margaritaville resort going in extremely close to Animal Kingdom and Animal Kingdom Lodge. It's going to have a smaller, but legit water park that may actually be open to the public as well as guests. Looks like the hotel portion is booking room for 2019.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 01:55:23 PM by chittlins »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2018, 05:17:58 PM »
Are you directing that post towards me or just talking out loud?  ???
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2018, 05:33:23 PM »
Are you directing that post towards me or just talking out loud?  ???

Just general comments