Author Topic: Your Travels Thread (2018)  (Read 68313 times)

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
Re: Your Travels Thread (2018)
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2018, 04:40:28 PM »
Couple more thoughts on SFMM:

No shows or extra entertainment was scheduled, no water rides where open, at any given time I'm guessing 70-80% of of the people at the park where waiting in lines for coasters.  In between rides is was weird how uncrowned the park actually seemed.  The restaurants and shops where active with people but not overly busy.  Yet all the major rides where packed.  Of course the shopping was primarily just your standard theme park goods...with a lot of comic book toys....the capes seemed to be big sellers to the teens and kids.  I didn't see anything special beyond those standard shops.
Food all looked ok....nothing looked that great....the funnel cake shop near the opening gate was by far the busiest food stand. 
I really regretted not getting that flash pass.  I was counting on more rides having the single rider line.  I didn't understand how the flash passes worked at six flags either...I haven't been to a SF park since they introduced them. The website wasn't very clear on how they worked and made it sound like it wouldn't save that much time.  After seeing how the lines are managed I got it.  All the rides basically have a queue manager near the station that checks passes for scheduled times.  I could have 'scheduled' rides one at a time and got in other rides in between the waits.
I learned:  I don't really like stand up coasters, I want to try more flying coasters (Tatsu was fun), check for single rider lines before going, wear layers at theme parks to help keep warm
I also kinda understand now why SFMM isn't talked about more in all the coaster boards - It has a lot of rides, a lot of different types of rides and some really good ones - but no single ride seems to be 'great' in there own category.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 05:11:32 PM by HumphreyHawk »
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2018, 05:11:13 PM »
I just received word that I was accepted for a Summer Residency at George Washington's Mount Vernon.   I will stay on the property for four nights.  I don't have the agenda yet, but may get to handle primary sources, participate in an archaeological dig, and explore the property.  It will definitely be a vigorous schedule.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2018, 05:38:10 PM »
I just received word that I was accepted for a Summer Residency at George Washington's Mount Vernon.   I will stay on the property for four nights.  I don't have the agenda yet, but may get to handle primary sources, participate in an archaeological dig, and explore the property.  It will definitely be a vigorous schedule.

Was there last summer, we had a hoot with people playing members of the family on the grounds. Anyhoi, this is from a bit to the west

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2018, 06:19:43 PM »

Was there last summer, we had a hoot with people playing members of the family on the grounds. Anyhoi, this is from a bit to the west

That appears to be Monticello, not Mount Vernon.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2018, 09:59:46 PM »

I did say "this is from a bit to the west"

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2018, 07:26:31 AM »

I did say "this is from a bit to the west"

You totally did.  For some reason I read that as being a view from the west.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2018, 06:55:40 PM »

Congratulations!  That's exciting!  We spent a frigid day over Christmas there and loved it!  Can't wait to go back and see it again.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2018, 07:05:45 PM »
March- Spring Break
Sat  17 -   Busch Gardens Tampa (Int. Food and Wine Fest)

Sun  18 -  Uni Florida/Island of Adventure (Mardi Gras)

Mon 19 -  USF/IOA (Day), Blue Man Group(6PM), FunSpot America(late)

Tue  20-   Volcano Bay (early), Epcot(night)

Wed 21-  Discovery Cove and Aquatica, Coca Cola Eye

Thu 22 -  Sea World(9am to 2pm) Animal Kingdom 3pm-9pm,  Fun Spot Kissimmee(late night)

Fri 23 -    Dixie Crossroads for Lunch, Disney Cruise

Sat 24 -   Nassau Bahamas

Sun 25 -  Castaway Cay

Mon 26-  Disney World

Tue 27-    Legoland (maybe 50/50)

April - SDC on good weather weekend day, Wonders of Wildlife in Springfield, Big Foot, Mountain Coaster

May - Three day weekend in Vegas, Adventure Dome, Show,
           Cowabunga Bay (if open)

June - Dollywood, Wilderness In the Smokies
            SDC visit

July - Chicago extended weekend, Cubs game, Six Flags,
          Navy Pier

August - SDC possible

Sept - SDC possible

Oct- 4 day weekend Los Angeles,  Knotts Berry, Universal  Studios for their Halloween stuff,  Six Flags Magic Mountain (time permitting)

SDC

Dec - SDC

Prepping for Orlando/Cruise

Early Apr - SDC

Updates:

Dates firmedm flights and/or rooms booked, tickets purchased in bold:

April 27 to May 1st -Las Vegas
Adventure Dome, Cowabunga Bay WaterPark, Stratosphere, Manhatten coaster, Chris Angel show, Cirque Love(beatles themed)Show, Hot Air balloons

May 3rd- U2 Tulsa

May 30th- Dave Matthews (local)

June - Still open, would love a trip to Dollywood, depends on if the points and flying into Knoxville or Ashville works out.

July 13th and 14th - Kanasas City
Worlds of Fun, Imagine Dragons in Concert

July 29th -Weezer and Pixies (local)

August-  stilll open but we always do a summer's last fling thing Thinking Chicago and a Cubs game with Six Flags and Navy Pier

Sept- nada

Oct- Los Angeles
Universal- Hollywood Haunted Nights, Knotts Berry, possibly SFMM

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2018, 07:33:19 PM »
Sitting in a lounge chair and sipping on a Blue Moon a the atomic Pool at Cabana Bay watching the limited fireworks over the lit Thunderbird sign. Got off the plane noonish, fantasic flight and as soon as we entered Florida air the clouds broke and the Gulf Coast appeared. The only hiccup was a single person in front of me with a thick Yankee accent at the Budget Fast break desk arguing over the car being issued to her that she booked on priceline. They upgraded me out having to listen to that temper tantrum and apologized profusely to for the delay. I didn't care, the line inside was a 100 deep. We decided to go to SeaWorld after check in early at Cabana Bay to sample the Seven Seas food fest line up. Good stuff there, we really liked the cinnimon Pork Belly. The wife says Hunter Hayes was decent but the daughter and I were rodeo'd Mako doing that.We were gifted Quick Que passes outside the gate and they worked like a charm. 5 rides on Mako in 45 minutes 2 in front, two in back and one in the middle. The front on this thing is all kinds of awesome. The back was solid and the middle is fine as well. But... the front, the front, the front is where it's at. We got in 3 rides on Manta too, one in the front and Kraken was down and it's back to VR hell. The kids then went on the Atlantis and what not while the wife and I put notches on our sample lanyard. The Kids want Volcano Bay tommorrow Morning. So, we'll hit it at open  and stay till around 1 and then head to Tampa and Busch Gardens for their food fest and Goo Goo Dolls. We'll have a late night bowl here at Cabana Bay. We love tCabana Bay so far, the food is very pricey but our family suite with two queens and a living area with a partion is nice enough. The fold out sofa is memory foam
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 08:10:34 PM by chittlins »

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2018, 11:38:20 PM »
Today, we ended our stay at Cabana Bay after spending the entire day and evening at US/IoA. We really liked CaBana Bay. We rode everything  l, some things twice even. Both Potter main attractions, Hulk, and HRRP. Choose ZZ Top and  Beastie Boys for my soundtracks. Our early check in at the time share got shanghi'd. Knowing that the storms were coming, we still went to Fun Spot Kissimmee.  Zero wait and ride where you want was to be had on Mind Blower. 2 in the front and 10, yes 10 in the back. The banks where it's at on the coaster. It was a blast. That two compact GG coasters that we have adored.  Other being Switchback. I only pray that The Track in Branson comes around and gets one. We got in 21/2 hrs at Fun Spot before the skies opened up. Got Tornado Warnings and hail for a bit. We finally got into our TS and we left out to Epcot at 2 hrs behind schedule.  This emptied Epcot even on an extra magic hours day. The last heavy downpour h lightning started just as we entered the park, We dashed to Spaceship Earth and walked right on. This killed enought time to let it pass.and other than a stiff breeze, the day became perfect. After illuminations Soarin' was basically a walk on. They let us enter in spite of of our reservations at Wilderness Lodge isn't until.after the cruise. 3 rides on Soaring in 30 minutes, manna. We love the new film over California. We miss Gary Sinese on the Mission Space update. We had no interest for Frozen and the son did two additional single ridder trips on Epcot. We loved the sugar cane shrimp squewers and ravioli with Maine lobster and like several other selection ls we sampled .Two weeks from now, the flowers in Garden gest will be peak.

Tommorrow is Discovery Cove. We axed Aquatica due to it.being a bit chilly and plane on Fun Spot Orlando in the evening along with another dinner at City Walk.

Frida, we'll to Canaveral for the cruise , we may leave early enought to kill a couple of hours at Kennedy.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2018, 11:40:14 PM »
Animal Kingdom today.

Pandora, Flight of Passage is a simple ,"Oh Wow." The boat ride was ,"yep that was a waste of 60 minutes."

Everest at night is  simply a must. We scored 4 rides on this thing today in our 10 hrs at park.  The last daytime ride was on the front row.  We had the second row and fifth row for our at night rides. So glad this park is now a night time park. The River of Light is ok. The existing show would be a good base for some more exotic show spice. The night time safar was great l. Seeing the Lions on top of the kopge at night and as we were passing the male erupted into roaring. Supposedly a rareally treat.

Animal Kingdom is 1 e ticket and a two smaller d tickets away from being truely special.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2018, 02:08:48 PM »
Sitting at the Denver airport now waiting for my last flight to return home after an incredible trip to Paris and Disneyland.  I've got thousands of photos to sort through- no exaggeration, as I shot well over 2000 myself, plus my friends'. Oh, and over 200gigs worth of video to boot! Ack!!   ;D :o ::)

Be watching over the next couple of months as it comes up online and on my channel.

and the Israel trip is paid for and locked in now as well.   ;D ;D
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2018, 05:57:35 PM »
The Disney Cruise and Castaway Cay was awesome. The stage shows were great but Beauty and the Beast stood out. We liked it so much, we put a deposit down on the June 8th, 2019 Barcelona to Rome 6 night cruise on The Magic. I did the timeshare thingy to get the 3 extra fast passes. There is and has been real interest on my part for buying in but just enough via Disney direct to get all the benefits that you can't get via the secondary. I figure demand for renting the points we don't use to cover the fees and actually pay myself back a little. Anyhoo, to get the FPs and a 50 buck ship credit, I had to meet one on one with a DVC rep but they goaded me into attending the general meeting for a chance for 200 buck on ship credit. I was the only one there, and a 100% chance for winning that 200 bucks! So, I got 250 bucks and 3 extra fast passes for 5 people that following Monday at WDW.  We signed up for the earliest parasailing at Castaway. We got on board and it was me and my two kids and a couple with their daugter. My two went first, as  they came back and told me to ready they asked if I wAntes to take on up with me so to not do it alone. I said sure and the son was the first to claim it. When we got done the sent the girl up with me. We basically got two for one rides. They did the same for the couple, both got to go up with their daughter. That was a very nice touch and I tipped them big.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2018, 06:00:01 PM »
The sunrises I got up for on ship.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2018, 03:16:10 PM »
Loving the photos and the updates!!
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.