Author Topic: Your Travels Thread (2018)  (Read 68377 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Your Travels Thread (2018)
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2018, 05:47:02 PM »
Well we did 4 Days 3 Nights (All-Stars Resort) with round-trip air from MCI to MCO for $1050 each
It would cost a lot more to do bus. 
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2018, 08:41:58 PM »
I suppose the phrase would be, "Do you even Southwest Bro?"  I'm just kidding but that sounds awfully expensive.
Of course, I've got used to having a choice between Frontier, Allegiant, and Southwest all flying Orlando nonstop. That makes for sweet prices. MEM TSA would handle 80 booger pickers in about 20 minutes.

As for Animal Kingdom, it's my favorite of the bunch and I'm excited to see it at night. I think it would be the best park with two more high caliber attractions and a possible conversion of Dinosaur and that whole area to Indy. I suppose that goes with how well a reboot goes.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2018, 09:26:42 PM »
I think the issue for tmboote is West Lyon Iowa is in BFE and not really close to a major airport unless they were to bus to MSP.  Whereas we are located in Columbia and have MCI STL and COU all near by. 

And yes we flew Southwest and had no issues whatsoever. 
SWOOSH

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2018, 10:00:57 PM »
I think the issue for tmboote is West Lyon Iowa is in BFE and not really close to a major airport unless they were to bus to MSP.  Whereas we are located in Columbia and have MCI STL and COU all near by. 

And also your group was only about 15 people (right?) as opposed to our 80 so it makes sense flying would be cheaper than a bus for you. Our best option for a direct flight would’ve been Sioux Falls to Sanford airport which still would’ve required some sort of bussing to our hotel when we arrived and that flight only goes twice a week.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2018, 10:24:31 PM »
Ladies and Gents,
Any suggestions would be appreciated I am looking to fly from NC AR/SW/MO area if anyone is aware of any specials drop a hint for me.  I think I can take a cab cheaper than coach.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2018, 10:46:55 PM »
Ladies and Gents,
Any suggestions would be appreciated I am looking to fly from NC AR/SW/MO area if anyone is aware of any specials drop a hint for me.  I think I can take a cab cheaper than coach.

You are looking to fly from NWA or Springfield or even Joplin to where and when?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2018, 11:01:50 PM »

And also your group was only about 15 people (right?) as opposed to our 80 so it makes sense flying would be cheaper than a bus for you. Our best option for a direct flight would’ve been Sioux Falls to Sanford airport which still would’ve required some sort of bussing to our hotel when we arrived and that flight only goes twice a week.

Wrong.  We had 40 in our group.  Your issue is West Lyon is in the middle of nowhere so busing probably was “simpler” - who did you guys go through to book the trip.  Sounds like the travel agent was a moron. 
SWOOSH

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2018, 07:41:57 AM »

Wrong.  We had 40 in our group.  Your issue is West Lyon is in the middle of nowhere so busing probably was “simpler” - who did you guys go through to book the trip.  Sounds like the travel agent was a moron.

I think the name was Bob Rogers Travel or something like that. It also didn’t help airplane prices that we went over Christmas.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2018, 09:35:28 AM »

I guess I shouldn't post right before bed.
 I am needing to fly to Ohare from the Branson area.  Sorry for not being clear, dates are flexible so I am looking for a decent deal. they were asking 350.00 1 way from SGF last night. WoW!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2018, 12:25:21 PM »

I think the name was Bob Rogers Travel or something like that. It also didn’t help airplane prices that we went over Christmas.

I was going to guess BRT.  Yeah I’ve had subpar experiences with them in the past.  Your director needs to look at Super Holiday Tours if they ever consider going back to Orlando.  (I know that doesn’t effect you in the least bit)
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2018, 01:06:25 PM »

I guess I shouldn't post right before bed.
 I am needing to fly to Ohare from the Branson area.  Sorry for not being clear, dates are flexible so I am looking for a decent deal. they were asking 350.00 1 way from SGF last night. WoW!

The legacy carriers( Delta, AA, United) will punish you for one way tickets. It may be cheaper to book R/T and eat the return.

If you are after a one way, I'd go with Southwest from Tulsa that will  connect from Dal, Den or STL or fly from KC. Or... use Southern Air Express to MEM from Harrison and self connect to a Southwest nonstop flight, the Legacy one way prices should be much lower at either KC or MEM thanks to the direct Southwest flight effect. But Tulsa may just be the best solutuon at the shortest possible drive.

If it's anywhere on Southwest Tues and Wed sometimes Thus are always the cheapest or in my case, lowest points needed.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 01:12:09 PM by chittlins »

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2018, 01:22:34 PM »
It's kinda hard without dates but Tulsa isn't horrible it seems
KC can be had for 100 to 150 across the board.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2018, 09:57:59 AM »
I need suggestions....

I'm traveling to Ontario,CA (LA, Inland Empire) in a couple of weeks for work.  I may actually have an afternoon/evening off for a change on this work trip. 

I want to get some coaster credits and I'm heavily leaning toward trying to hit Magic Mountain.  Any tips for that park?  or reasons I should do KBF instead?  It's about the same drive to both from where I'm staying.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 10:08:05 AM by HumphreyHawk »
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2018, 04:39:23 PM »
I need suggestions....

I'm traveling to Ontario,CA (LA, Inland Empire) in a couple of weeks for work.  I may actually have an afternoon/evening off for a change on this work trip. 

I want to get some coaster credits and I'm heavily leaning toward trying to hit Magic Mountain.  Any tips for that park?  or reasons I should do KBF instead?  It's about the same drive to both from where I'm staying.

It might look the same distance, but it's not.  From Ontario SFMM is 90 minutes or more, depending on traffic, while Knott's should still be under an hour.  That adds up in a hurry.  And LA traffic can quickly and easily turn those much worse.  With Knott's you'd have the options of taking some other major streets instead of the LA freeways if need be, but that won't happen with SFMM.  And it's not unusual for the 210 and 5 to get gridlocked bad (those are the main routes you'd take to SFMM)

I think that SFMM has the better collection of coasters, but if you're shooting for just an afternoon/ evening, you're going to be a lot more out of a trip to Knott's than you would trying to get up to SFMM

(plus there's the whole deal with schedules and what time the parks close on the days you're there)
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2018, 09:26:29 AM »
I need suggestions....

It might look the same distance, but it's not.  From Ontario SFMM is 90 minutes or more, depending on traffic, while Knott's should still be under an hour.  That adds up in a hurry.  And LA traffic can quickly and easily turn those much worse.  With Knott's you'd have the options of taking some other major streets instead of the LA freeways if need be, but that won't happen with SFMM.  And it's not unusual for the 210 and 5 to get gridlocked bad (those are the main routes you'd take to SFMM)

I think that SFMM has the better collection of coasters, but if you're shooting for just an afternoon/ evening, you're going to be a lot more out of a trip to Knott's than you would trying to get up to SFMM

(plus there's the whole deal with schedules and what time the parks close on the days you're there)

Thanks for the advice - It will be me first experience on a LA freeway for this ks boy.  I figured MM would be the tougher trip.  I get in late morning and hope to have the afternoon/evening available.  Both parks are open till 8 that day!  I'm still waiting to see if I have to meet a coworker flying in the afternoon (to share a car rental).  That might kill the whole plan.  I have meetings all day the next day and then fly out for a quick trip.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 10:05:08 AM by HumphreyHawk »
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"