Author Topic: Your Travels Thread (2018)  (Read 68299 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Your Travels Thread (2018)
« on: January 06, 2018, 10:16:24 PM »
Much like the 2017 edition of this thread, this will be the place to let everyone know where you are going / have gone during the 2018 calendar year.  To help others find information, we will make these threads last only one calendar year and then we will create another.

Adventure is Out There!  Cannot wait to see where everyone is going.
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Your Travels Thread (2018)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 10:36:39 PM »
The "Crew" is finally firming up dates for 2018. 
(and here I thought this was going to be an "off year" for us - silly me)

MARCH
17 - SDC Spring Break Days
27 - Universal Orlando
28 - Universal Orlando
29 - Universal Orlando
30 - Daytona Motor Speedway
30 - Daytona Beach Boardwalk Amusements
30 - Fun Spot Kissimmee
30 - Coca-Cola Orlando Eye
30 - Titanic
30 - Wonderworks
31 - Gatorland
31 - Forever Florida Safari
31 - Boggy Creek Airboat
31 - Fun Spot Orlando

APRIL
20 - SDC Music Summit Choral Invitational & "Not World Fest"
21 - WOF Opening Day

MAY
11 - WOF Festival of Music Band Competition
30 - Animal Kingdom
31 - Magic Kingdom

JUNE
01 - Hollywood Studios
02 - Epcot

JULY
01 - Kings Island
02 - Cedar Point
02 - Cedar Point
03 - Toronto (activities being finalized)
04 - Canada's Wonderland

AUGUST
10 - Indy Zoo
12 - Indiana Beach
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 06:57:42 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 05:43:03 PM »
I just went to Disney World for our band trip (technically in 2017). We went to Epcot then did a workshop thing before going to Animal Kingdom. The next day our concert band performed at Disney Springs and we went to Hollywood Studios after. Finally we ended by going to Magic Kingdom on New Years Eve (which I don’t recommend doing, but we did manage to get quite a bit done).

givemezamor

• SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 09:49:20 PM »
March
14-18 Silver Dollar City and Branson

April
20-22 Petit Jean State Park

May
26-28 Ark Encounter
"A day at Silver Dollar City is what life should be like. No worries, just good times.."

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 06:37:31 AM »
We are not getting sdc passes this year.  We have so many other things going on! 

4 dance competitions
5 volleyball tournaments
3 trips to Wisconsin

But the best of them all...

Disney in November!  This will be a surprise trip for the kids and we will go right after thanksgiving, which will give them an extra week out of school.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 08:20:09 AM »
This year is starting to shape up to be a big one, and it's very early in the planning stages still.

I leave Friday for a week in Florida:
Sat 1/13 Disney Springs
Sun 1/14 Animal Kingdom
Mon 1/15 Epcot
Tues 1/16 Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure
Weds 1/17 Disney Hollywood Studios
Thurs 1/18 Magic Kingdom

There's a possibility of going to Disney Paris in March, but won't know for a few weeks yet if that one is happen.

Going to Israel in June for our 25th anniversary.  That's a surprise for my wife still, so don't tell her!  lol

Possibly a return trip to WDW in November

Oh, and we've still got a major family get together in July somewhere, don't know yet, maybe Branson, maybe SoCal.

Hoping to have a swing out to Northern California for a high school reunion, in which case I'll hit Discovery Kingdom and Great America.

That's on top of our normal SDC/ Branson stuff.  So it may turn out to be a lot of travel this year.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 01:36:44 PM »
July or August- 6 days hiking in Colorado. Then on to Salt lake city to Mountain bike with some old friends.

Mid December- Finland/Norway and Sweden to cross country ski and view the Northern lights. May delay this till Jan 2019. Would also like to make it to St. Petersburg Russia but I think that's a summertime destination.

Just starting to make plans but they will not be set in stone. I prefer to be flexible and spontaneous.

May make a couple SDC trips but that is TBD.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 02:08:16 PM »
My husband's birthday and my birthday are about 2 weeks apart so we always take a trip in between to celebrate. This year we are going to Jefferson City, Mo. We're both huge history nerds so we're pretty excited.

I'll be heading to the Myrtle Beach area in May when my sister has her first baby!!! 😍

My in-laws always spend a week in Branson every summer and invite us. That'll probably be sometime in June or July.

My husband and I take a trip for our anniversary every year. We haven't decided yet where to go, but we have until October to decide. If anyone has a place they love to visit that could be a simple weekend trip, share your ideas! I would love some inspiration! Last year we went to Six Flags Great America.

The weekend before Thanksgiving I always participate in a craft show in Ozark, Mo.

My in-laws are thinking about "skipping Christmas" this year and want to take a trip with immediate family instead of stressing out over the gifts and all the parties. So far I have no idea where they want to go yet.

I'm sure there will be quit a few weekend trips for SDC throughout the year. In 2017, we decided to make it a point to attend every festival like I used to do when I was growing up. We're hoping to do that again this year.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 02:10:35 PM by tiffanylynnt »
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 08:32:29 AM »
I'd be over in the corner like...."I'm going to the fancy supercenter this weekend"....lol

I usually what till my employer announces our bonus before I start thinking about trips.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 09:39:06 AM »
March- Spring Break
Sat  17 -   Busch Gardens Tampa (Int. Food and Wine Fest)

Sun  18 -  Uni Florida/Island of Adventure (Mardi Gras)

Mon 19 -  USF/IOA (Day), Blue Man Group(6PM), FunSpot America(late)

Tue  20-   Volcano Bay (early), Epcot(night)

Wed 21-  Discovery Cove and Aquatica, Coca Cola Eye

Thu 22 -  Sea World(9am to 2pm) Animal Kingdom 3pm-9pm,  Fun Spot Kissimmee(late night)

Fri 23 -    Dixie Crossroads for Lunch, Disney Cruise

Sat 24 -   Nassau Bahamas

Sun 25 -  Castaway Cay

Mon 26-  Disney World

Tue 27-    Legoland (maybe 50/50)

April - SDC on good weather weekend day, Wonders of Wildlife in Springfield, Big Foot, Mountain Coaster

May - Three day weekend in Vegas, Adventure Dome, Show,
           Cowabunga Bay (if open)

June - Dollywood, Wilderness In the Smokies
            SDC visit

July - Chicago extended weekend, Cubs game, Six Flags,
          Navy Pier

August - SDC possible

Sept - SDC possible

Oct- 4 day weekend Los Angeles,  Knotts Berry, Universal  Studios for their Halloween stuff,  Six Flags Magic Mountain (time permitting)

SDC

Dec - SDC

« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 09:50:24 AM by chittlins »

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 09:02:07 AM »
Adds:

May 2: U2 in Tulsa

May 4, 5, 6: Beale Street Music Fest in Memphis

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 01:45:48 PM »
I'm currently battling a burst disc in my back, so I'm not sure how much of my original plans for this year will play out, but I was originally planning on:
  • SDC in March for opening weekend
  • Time Traveler Opening Day (not certain it will open with the park?)
  • Texas roadtrip to San Antonio to SFFT, SeaWorld, and ZDT's.
  • Schlittercon at Kansas City location
  • Main vacation to Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Virginia Beach, and Kings Dominion
  • Possibly Kennywood if money and vacation time hold out
  • Lone Star Coasterthon
  • ACE Coaster Christmas at SDC + usual Christmas SDC trip

I'd like to add a trip to Holiday World, SFStL and Kentucky Kingdom since it's been awhile, but that's a long drive when you don't have many vacation days to burn along with everything else. I think I might start planning another long road trip through there to Dollywood and back for 2019.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 03:11:30 PM »
@ Shave-   Off topic...   tough break about the disc, hope it get better and doenst slow you down this summer.. Thanks agaiin for all the work you do on the site.  May see you opening weekend.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 04:38:38 PM »
Wow some of you guys really get around.  I am sure I will just do my usual once a month trip to SDC, but would like to make it to some other parks this year if time allows.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 04:55:54 PM »
I'm currently battling a burst disc in my back, so I'm not sure how much of my original plans for this year will play out, but I was originally planning on:
  • SDC in March for opening weekend
  • Time Traveler Opening Day (not certain it will open with the park?)
  • Texas roadtrip to San Antonio to SFFT, SeaWorld, and ZDT's.
  • Schlittercon at Kansas City location
  • Main vacation to Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Virginia Beach, and Kings Dominion
  • Possibly Kennywood if money and vacation time hold out
  • Lone Star Coasterthon
  • ACE Coaster Christmas at SDC + usual Christmas SDC trip

I'd like to add a trip to Holiday World, SFStL and Kentucky Kingdom since it's been awhile, but that's a long drive when you don't have many vacation days to burn along with everything else. I think I might start planning another long road trip through there to Dollywood and back for 2019.

that's solid! hope the back allows it.

here's a heads up for the churners out there.

Barclays Red Aviator Card for American Airlines is offering 60,000 miles after a single purchase of any size. there's a 95 dollar yearly fee but 95 bucks is nothing if you use the miles up and cancel before you get hit again.
AA has got stingy with their Saver locations but Ft. Smith and Joplin is generally one of them so at least half of your trip could be a 7,000 miles per leg. The wife and I both hit that up for 120,000 miles.

That's how we are getting to Dollywood, free 3 nite stay at Wilderness for 2 hrs of timeshare pitch that we have learned to handle well and 50% off at Dollywood and the water park.

I think that offer expires on Jan 31st. It's been extended a couple of times but is getting long in the tooth.

Oh, Southwest is at 50,000 for a plus or premiere and with a Southwest Business card for 60,000, and if you hit the min spends on both in short order, you have a companion pass for nearly two years. planning on doing some remodel or big purchase with the tax return. get the cards and pay them off with it instead. This time last year, I hit the min spend with an appliance purchase from JCPenny via Southwest's shopping portal at 5x points and got another 25,000 Southwest RR Points.

Schlitterbahn KC seems to be in a funk on attraction additions it seems since the accident.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 05:12:14 PM by chittlins »