Author Topic: Question regarding other Parks  (Read 5589 times)

npd652

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Question regarding other Parks
« on: January 04, 2018, 01:45:58 PM »
I'm looking at going to the following parks in 2018 and was wondering if anyone can tell me how many days it would take to enjoy each park.

Kings Island
Cedar Point
Six Flags over Great America
Worlds of Fun

At Cedar Point....where is the best place to stay. I was thinking just staying at Hotel Breakers at the park itself....to avoid parking and traffic headaches. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Question regarding other Parks
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 08:49:50 PM »
Cedar Point takes at least two days. You can barely grab all the credits in one, and that's assuming you buy a fast pass and dash around the park. With two days you have just enough time to hit up everything and ride some of the biggest rides a couple times. I spent a couple days there two summers ago, and even with a premium fast pass on one of the days it was tough to get my fill. Just so much coastering to do there. I stayed at one of the cheaper CP hotels just down the causeway from the park... Breakers Express I think it's called. It was very nice, and the package deal was pretty good - especially with the morning bonus time on some of the coasters.

I managed to do King's Island in a day when I went three summers ago. I had to buy a fast pass there as well though. I could see spending two days there, but the coaster collection isn't quite as good as CP (IMO), so I didn't feel like I had to pry myself away after a full day.

Worlds of Fun isn't that big of a park and a single day is enough.

Haven't made it to SFGA yet, but it's on my short list.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 09:38:40 PM »
I'm looking at going to the following parks in 2018 and was wondering if anyone can tell me how many days it would take to enjoy each park.

Kings Island
Cedar Point
Six Flags over Great America
Worlds of Fun

At Cedar Point....where is the best place to stay. I was thinking just staying at Hotel Breakers at the park itself....to avoid parking and traffic headaches. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Are you planning on purchasing Fast Lane+ at CP and/or KI?
Are you planning on visiting the water parks?
What day of the week are you planning for each park?
Why are you not hitting Holiday World?
SWOOSH

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 09:55:33 AM »
Adding on to Swoosh's questions:

What time of the year do you plan on going to each?  (day of the week, as Swoosh mentioned, is also important)
What rides and attractions do you like to do?  Just coasters?  flats? shows? everything?
and yes, why aren't you visiting Holiday World?  lol

Really those, your answers to the questions Swoosh and I ask are big when trying to figure out how much time you need.  If you're going on summer weekends and want to ride everything, then most of those are going to be 2 day things.  But if you're there a weekday in May and only ride coasters, that will give you a very different answer.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

npd652

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 02:05:23 PM »
We will be going during the summer months (July). I haven't decided on Fast Passes but that always an option. We are going to start the trip at Holiday World (been there multiple times is why I didn't include it) from there hit Kings Island followed by Cedar Point, Six Flags and last stop would be Worlds of Fun. It would be a mixture of weekend and during the week. I really want to make sure I enjoy Cedar Point the most and rather spend three or maybe four days there. I just don't really know how much time a person needs to truly enjoy what the park offers. Like to do the "must see" that you all recommend etc.

npd652

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 02:08:03 PM »
Add to my earlier post. Swoosh asked about Water parks.....are they worth visiting in your opinion or or they just a typical Six Flags St Louis type water park. I know Holiday World has a great Water Park as we have been to it several times.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 02:17:27 PM »
I feel that the one at SFGAm is definitely worth visiting - but I think they might be moving to it being an extra for those without Gold Season Passports next season.  Kings Island's is decent and Cedar Point's did an upgrade this past season so that it is not horrible.  Splashin' Safari at Holiday World is really the reason you go to that park.

July is tricky to gauge.  Can you narrow down as week?  If you can give me a rough time of the month you plan on going I can give you a good timeline.  I literally do this every summer for my friends and family so one more person is no big deal. 

Fast Lane at Cedar Point is a must.  It will make your visit so much better.  You can ride what you want when you want instead spending most of your day in line.  I usually only need one day at CP with that, but if this is your first time it might be a bit overwhelming (and the park is huge -- so if you are not used to walking you will get zapped quickly).

Try to answer those questions and I will set you up with a plan
-D
SWOOSH

npd652

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 02:32:07 PM »
I'm pretty open on timeline. I was thinking around July 16-19 to spend at CP. I guess another way to look at it swoosh would be this. If you were going to these parks, how would you go about each one, excluding HW because we been there several times. Would getting a Platinum pass ( cedar fair parks) be better than buying individual tickets for each day etc.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 05:15:29 PM »
Where are you wanting to start/end your trip?   
How far is too far to drive in one day?
Are you doing Holiday World?
Are you doing the waterparks other than HW?

Now if you get a Platinum Pass are you interested in a quick “pop-in” at Michigan’s Adventure on the way to Chicago?

SWOOSH

npd652

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 06:24:48 PM »
First stop would be holiday world. Then Kings island. Then cedar point. Six flags then last stop would Worlds of fun. I would be interested in water parks. My original plan was to hit holiday world and then just drive to kings island and stay overnight. Do KI and head up to CP that night and stay at CP for a few days. Then was just figuring one day at SixFlags and one day at WOF. Like I said earlier, I want to enjoy the parks and not be rushed.

npd652

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 06:26:10 PM »
Forgot to add. I would be interested in little pop in parks along the way.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 08:23:46 PM »
It would be a major crime to not close Kings Island.  Night rides on The Beast are life changing.  Shoot I'll even tell you what row you need to ride in to get the best rides (pssst it's not the very front row or even the very back row).
SWOOSH

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 08:58:30 AM »
It would be a major crime to not close Kings Island.  Night rides on The Beast are life changing.  Shoot I'll even tell you what row you need to ride in to get the best rides (pssst it's not the very front row or even the very back row).

Referring him to the "Schmeck seat?" (even though it's not a Schmeck.  lol)  Favorite seat on a great many coasters, especially wood, and usually has one of the shortest lines as well.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

npd652

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 11:41:27 AM »
Please share the seat location Swoosh.....and yes its suggestion like that is what I'm looking for. My plans now will include closing Kings Island. Thanks

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 05:29:36 PM »
Please share the seat location Swoosh.....and yes its suggestion like that is what I'm looking for. My plans now will include closing Kings Island. Thanks

Row 17 (or the middle row of the back cart of the train). 
SWOOSH