Silver Dollar City & Celebration City Discussion > General Silver Dollar City Talk

SDC Sets Attendance Record

(1/3) > >>

Coaster:
http://www.ky3.com/content/news/Silver-Dollar-City-rings-in-new-year-with-2017-attendance-record-467731443.html

SDC had more visitors in 2017 than in its entire 58 year history. I found two things very interesting in this article. The fact that almost 25% of the visitors for the ENTIRE year came in November-December for the Christmas festival is amazing. I think we can all say that Christmas in Midtown was a resounding success. The other thing from the article I found very interesting is the quote from Brad Thomas. He calls SDC a resort destination. I find it interesting because SDC is not currently a resort, but I find it telling that he uses the word to describe it. I wonder just how close we are to seeing SDC become a true resort with a hotel onsite.

kbosch1:
Wilderness doesn't qualify it as one?

sanddunerider:
Considering the NASTY weather the last week... 

That number could have easily been 80-100,000 more people, If not more...

HumphreyHawk:

Wow....the whole amusement park industry had already been copying SDCs Christmas success and SDC just raises the bar again. 

I hope they are reading posts on here about the need for more indoor activities and how the classic rides make SDC special.  Maybe we can get some reinvestment in the classics to ensure they remain and help with the ridiculous crowds before they turn away too much business.

shavethewhales:

--- Quote from: Coaster on January 03, 2018, 02:12:57 PM ---http://www.ky3.com/content/news/Silver-Dollar-City-rings-in-new-year-with-2017-attendance-record-467731443.html

SDC had more visitors in 2017 than in its entire 58 year history. I found two things very interesting in this article. The fact that almost 25% of the visitors for the ENTIRE year came in November-December for the Christmas festival is amazing. I think we can all say that Christmas in Midtown was a resounding success. The other thing from the article I found very interesting is the quote from Brad Thomas. He calls SDC a resort destination. I find it interesting because SDC is not currently a resort, but I find it telling that he uses the word to describe it. I wonder just how close we are to seeing SDC become a true resort with a hotel onsite.

--- End quote ---

Yes, my ears are perking up at the word "resort" too. It's a matter of time...

I could have sworn they had already achieved 2.2 million at some point, but I guess not. Just a few more good weather days and they would have made it this year. I'm certain it will happen next year.

This could mean speedier development in general too. DW easily had the most potential for growth ten years ago while SDC was kind of flat lining, so they got a lot of capital injected. I'm sure they will still get the lions share for the time being, but SDC is showing massive growth potential again. You've got the general growth of the area (mainly NWA), some new businesses and development coming to Branson, and the park is simply big enough in general now to draw a lot more people from outside of the usual 4 hour radius.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version