Author Topic: Mud Island in Memphis revamp?  (Read 5913 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Mud Island in Memphis revamp?
« on: May 22, 2018, 08:06:38 PM »
I wonder if Mr. Bass Pro gets in on this since theState finally got off their duff and approved the tax kickback the ASKED FOR IN 2016?

This is a good start. I still maintain that the northern end should be developed in to Tivoli type park with similar rides to round out the whole thing and a Soarin' style ride down the Mississippi be part of the  Museum overhaul or aquarium. This comes along with Lowes announcing a retrofit of a 00 North Main in to a new 600 room hotel and two new adjoining office towers as part of the project to go with the 300 million dollar renovation of the convention center and 200 million plus revamp of Memphis International.

2021 and 2022 will have bitg changes in store for Memphis.

Memphis was recently named #1 of the Top 5 places in the World to visit in May by USA Today.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Mud Island in Memphis revamp?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 12:37:06 AM »
and #4 by Forbes as the most dangerous city to visit
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 06:07:28 AM »
and #4 by Forbes as the most dangerous city to visit

Sure, if you don't know where to.stay away from. Right up there with STL, Chicago and New Orleans.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 06:09:35 AM by chittlins »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 09:05:17 AM »
Except in Memphis a lot of that “stay away from” area is tourist central
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 10:37:42 AM »

Like Nawlins..... express the hate Midwestern white boy, it's cute.

Anyhoo,  the new Malco is coming along. Really want to see how they pull off recliner seating and balcony/mezzanine seating and how the roof top theater comes out.

The hotel portion of the city's ambitious Central Station mixed-use project closed on its financing in December and is preparing to open in about one year.

The old train station building is set to hold 124 rooms, a 3,500-square-foot restaurant, a 6,700-square-foot ballroom and 8,000 square feet of non-restaurant retail space — along with the Amtrak station. Next door, an under-construction, seven-screen Malco movie theater is set to include balcony seating and electric recliners; a restaurant and bar; and an eighth, outdoor screen and lounge on the rooftop. The theater is set to open near Thanksgiving, Malco senior vice president David Tashie said.

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2018/05/22/see-inside-central-station-project-progresses.html#g/434074/22

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 12:09:14 PM »

I haven't found any place in Memphis that I don't take a group of people with me.  After a handful of visits, one in which my wife and daughter were threatened in a fast food restaurant when I wasn't with them, I can't say that I've ever really felt safe.  Cheers to the city if it makes strides toward changing that perception.  I wish them the best.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 02:58:22 PM »

I haven't found any place in Memphis that I don't take a group of people with me.  After a handful of visits, one in which my wife and daughter were threatened in a fast food restaurant when I wasn't with them, I can't say that I've ever really felt safe.  Cheers to the city if it makes strides toward changing that perception.  I wish them the best.

Quote from: chittlins
express the hate Midwestern white boy, it's cute.

Come sit by me HB.  We can be “cute” together.  ::) ;D
SWOOSH

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 03:20:49 PM »
I go to Memphis every December to run  the St. Jude Marathon. Even with 20000 runners in town, I will not walk from the convention center to Beale Street. Every hotel I have ever stayed at is loaded with roaches and I am not talking the cheap places either. Memphis is a cesspool.  I love to support the hospital but I get out as fast as I can when its over.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 04:12:08 PM »

Quote from: chittlins
express the hate Midwestern white boy, it's cute.

Come sit by me HB.  We can be “cute” together.  ::) ;D

Cute is nice. :o
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 05:06:03 PM »
I go to Memphis every December to run  the St. Jude Marathon. Even with 20000 runners in town, I will not walk from the convention center to Beale Street. Every hotel I have ever stayed at is loaded with roaches and I am not talking the cheap places either. Memphis is a cesspool.  I love to support the hospital but I get out as fast as I can when its over.

Hey chittlins, is Runner allowed to be “cute” too?  Trying to find out if there is a limit on “cute”-ness
SWOOSH

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 08:28:00 AM »
As a St. Jude patient, I've been going back and forth to Memphis since 1980. I've seen highs and lows of the City but I've never had any personal issues but that doesn't mean anything really...

I've stayed in the worst hotel (Downtowner 1980) and I've stayed in nice ones too Peabody, Sheraton, Crowne Plaza, etc. I've walked by myself all over downtown (during the day), Beale Street, and alleys to get to Rendezous, etc. and always felt safe. Hollywood was scarier to me than Memphis....but Hollywood is a bit freaky.

That's not to say that you don't need to be cautious. Memphis is the only place where I've been to a mall and each store had their own security guard. St. Jude Hospital even cautions their families about the dangers of the city...so there definitely things that need to be taken into consideration when you're out and about.

I've always been told to stay out of West Memphis (however this has improved over the last few years), and the area around the airport (I've driven through this area and it has many abandoned buildings). I never visited Liberty Land because my parents had been told not to take us there....I wish they would have though.

The Bass Pro-Shop was very nice, so I'm sure that the Mud Island revamp would be very welcome and continue to greatly improve that area of the City.

Jay

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 10:01:01 AM »
I hadn't been to Libertyland after 1993 till it closed. There was nothing wrong with Libertyland from 1993 and before.

As a St. Jude patient, I'm sure you know their ambitious multi billion growth plans and their vision of the Pinch District(area between St. Jude/Pyramid)

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/opinion/editorials/2016/12/12/st-jude-partnership-points-pinch-district-revival/95213642/

There's ton of redevelopment going on Downtown, The former Wonder Bakery is undergoing a major mixed use redevelopment. That's real close close to Sun Studios. Medodist-UT Memphis is building a new 300 million dollar facility with a private gift (everyone knows it's from the Steve Jobs Family) as his treatment there helped him live to see thru Apple's revival.

There's bad parts of Memphis and there's incredible parts of Memphis. That year list is flawed as many cities cheat with their stats whereas Memphis doesn't. Let's hope that Memphis and it's spat with Elvis Presley Enterprises over a 6,000 seat performance venue gets worked out.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 02:18:39 PM »
I know the talk around St. Jude when the new director came in was that he wanted to double the size of the hospital and it's ability to treat patients. I hadn't heard any specifics, but the Pinch District looks pretty amazing.

I was patient #7930 at St. Jude and from the time I started there until now is a complete 360. It was a small clinic when I went and the pavilion (gold dome building) had just started construction......now, those buildings are enveloped by everything else.

Jay

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 10:24:08 PM »
I know the talk around St. Jude when the new director came in was that he wanted to double the size of the hospital and it's ability to treat patients. I hadn't heard any specifics, but the Pinch District looks pretty amazing.

I was patient #7930 at St. Jude and from the time I started there until now is a complete 360. It was a small clinic when I went and the pavilion (gold dome building) had just started construction......now, those buildings are enveloped by everything else.

Jay

They starting a Sickle Cell program and they are starting this:

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital has announced it will build a $412 million research center in downtown Memphis, one of the largest projects in the city's history and part of the hospital's $1 billion expansion plans for its downtown Memphis campus, according to the Commercial Appeal. The new facility will double St. Jude's existing research space and house 1,000 workers.
The new seven-story, 625,000-square-foot research center will include glass-walled laboratory space outfitted with the latest technology, naturally it open areas meant to encourage collaboration, a penthouse and basement. Project designers said some of the bigger expenses were for the special air-handling and sterility equipment needed for the new labs.