Author Topic: Christmas Check In...  (Read 5215 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Christmas Check In...
« on: December 24, 2017, 10:34:47 AM »
Merry Christmas to everyone here on the board and your families.   Safe travels and good health to all..

About 1 " of fresh white snow this morning.. feels cold with a 9 degree wind chill and the sun is shining..

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Check In...
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 05:46:07 PM »
And Merry Christmas to you and yours!

We thought our oldest son and his wife would be coming from Fort Drum, but their travel day was Friday, right as the weather hit. They get lake effect snow there, so they drove for three hours and only made it 60 miles before turning back. They didn't even get as far as Vermont, which would have been worse, so as much as we'll miss having them, we are glad that they didn't risk it.

Tomorrow is Baby Girl's 28th birthday, and she and her fiancé will be with us. We're not exchanging gifts among the grownups, so our youngest (15) has the whole pile. LOL

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 06:03:06 PM »
They got snow on the ground at SDC? That has always been a bucket list thing for me to get photos with snow on the ground there with their Christmas decor.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 06:13:56 PM »
They got snow on the ground at SDC? That has always been a bucket list thing for me to get photos with snow on the ground there with their Christmas decor.

It’s not as glamorous as it sounds.  Trust me
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 12:34:11 AM »
Merry Christmas to everyone, lets all wish for lots of good surprises in the near future.

See you soon Sandune, you guys have a great Christmas!

MHGUY

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 01:29:42 PM »

I dunno.  I always loved those days where I got to work with snow on the ground. Made the train ride absolutely gorgeous.  And robbing in the snow is a blast!
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 03:47:54 PM »

I dunno.  I always loved those days where I got to work with snow on the ground. Made the train ride absolutely gorgeous.  And robbing in the snow is a blast!

Well I can’t speak from the POV of an employee but I can from the POV as a guest.  Without rides open (the train was closed too FTR) it puts a huge strain on the shows so an already busy park had even less places to put people
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2017, 03:48:43 PM »
Back to the topic of the OP
We’re in Milan, MO and we have 4” of snow on the ground here. 
SWOOSH

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2017, 07:01:05 PM »
Merry Christmas to all!

loudmama

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2017, 08:11:05 PM »
Merry Christmas

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 08:57:37 AM »

Well I can’t speak from the POV of an employee but I can from the POV as a guest.  Without rides open (the train was closed too FTR) it puts a huge strain on the shows so an already busy park had even less places to put people

During OR opening season....I think it was first or 2nd week open....I took the family up on terrible weather day (snow/rain 100% chance).  I got 2-3 almost empty rides on the brand new OR in 40-45 degree weather right after the ropes dropped.  The RMC guys where still helping run operations.  Kids got all GE rides to themselves.  Right after lunch it started to thunder snow/sleet and get real nasty.  We hit up all the warm shops on the way out (most where closed)....got basically a family tour/demo of the bakery as they made cinnamon rolls.  Even though we where only there 3-4 hours and 1/2 the park was closed....it ended up being one of the most memorable trips we ever took....one of the crazy few hundred people that weathered the weather.  As long as you understand that the park will not be fully open....i always recommend going during a bad weather day.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 10:25:12 AM »
Park is open today December 26th with a $40 admission ticket.  Merry Christmas!
I'm Your Huckleberry

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 03:19:27 PM »
Running tall for today (tuesday)   as of 3:00---  3800 people..., 

I show Branson at 36 degrees,, so part of the rides wont be going today. (yet)...

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 09:06:07 AM »
Wish I was in Branson today; I'd give anything to be back in 30+ degree weather... It's -1 degrees where I live currently. I had to sleep on the couch 'cause our living room is the only room in our old house that actually warms up and stays warm overnight....!

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 08:53:55 PM »
Wish I was in Branson today; I'd give anything to be back in 30+ degree weather... It's -1 degrees where I live currently.

Our high/low forecasts for Sunday and Monday: -2/-20, 0/-24. I went to work at noon on Friday under bright blue skies; it was -6. We did get up to the forecast high of -3, though.