Author Topic: Numbers today  (Read 17087 times)

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
Re: Numbers today
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2017, 05:15:59 PM »
This only highlights the need for more enclosed rides as they drift into near year round ops.

Except for the fact that the indoor rides get effected by the cold too.  Fire in the Hole cannot operate if it is below freezing.  The guns in the Firehouse are having issues because of the cold (the compressed air).  The electronics in Mine are having issues because of the cold.

So no.  Being inside isn't going to help anything when it is this cold.

I'm willing to bet those issues could be fixed though (albeit at considerable expense in FITH's case). A modern indoor ride wouldn't have those issues.

I'll bet the PTB is nashing their teeth this week. If winter had held off a little longer they could have ended the year with an additional 50,000-100,000 guests. Poor end to a very strong Christmas season. It would have been packed out this week if it had been even 50 degrees out, but winter showed up this year.

Fire in the Hole's issues with temperature is that the splash down is part of the braking system.  When it's this cold, that causes freezing problems with the water.  Not conducive to operations.

Interesting that the guns in the firehouse would be having issues with the cold since the building is heated.  Unless they aren't using the heat for some odd reason.

The electronics on the mine aren't having issues with the cold.  They're just plain having issues and have for a long time.  They do what they can with trying to keep them up, but I'm of the opinion that the whole system needs to be replaced for it to work correctly.

I'm agreed that they need more indoor rides/ activities.  And not just because of the cold.  When thunderstorms hit- which is a regular happening- having more options would also be a great thing.  There just aren't very many now.

it is to bad what the cold will do to their numbers.  Though as strong as the year has been, and with it being so dry the last few months, I'd be surprised if their increase in numbers the rest of the time doesn't more than make up for one slower than expected week.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2017, 05:52:57 PM »
FYI, all problems have been temperature related. Compressors have moisture in the air, below freezing has caused some to shut down (FH & FM). The gun issue is the same. While the shell may be old, the electronics are new. The colder the temps coming off the pond (22, today), the harder "wake-up" for the guns.
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2017, 05:43:36 PM »
FYI, all problems have been temperature related. Compressors have moisture in the air, below freezing has caused some to shut down (FH & FM). The gun issue is the same. While the shell may be old, the electronics are new. The colder the temps coming off the pond (22, today), the harder "wake-up" for the guns.

Thanks for the updates and clarification Steve.  :-)  I'll always defer to the knowledge of the guy who actually works on the stuff rather than my attempts to figure it out on my own. 
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2018, 09:43:34 AM »

Anyone get the count for last night or attend?  It sure was not a hospitable temperature.  I was watching the reporters from Times Square and they were suffering you could tell.  They did not complain but there was lots of makeup and very little facial movement when they spoke.  I bet SDC was a cold one!

npd652

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2018, 11:57:42 AM »
Yeah my daughter and I went yesterday. I'm guessing no more than five hundred people in the park. We actually had a great time. It was surreal seeing the park that empty. The New Years shows were awesome!! We wind up staying for most of the evening....again we enjoyed it.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2018, 02:26:24 PM »
just got back home from a COLD weekend.....

Numbers----
Thursday-8,000
friday ----16,000
sat--------11,000

Sunday- 1200.  yes 1200!!!     
monday, as  of 2:00    152 people?  I will verify that later...  WOW!!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2018, 10:18:43 PM »
Monday- 550 people..... :(

not such a great end to a great year!!

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile