Author Topic: New Waterpark proposed for Branson area  (Read 7259 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
New Waterpark proposed for Branson area
« on: December 16, 2017, 08:32:23 AM »
Saw this today on another site,

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_free/article_e01cd7bc-e1d0-11e7-bebf-4ffd562cdf45.html

“The project will include an indoor water park resort having 350 guest suites, 100,000 square feet of indoor climate controlled water park, 55,000 square foot of outdoor water park and 30,000 square feet of meeting and conference space,” the overview reads. “Additionally, 215 Ozark Mountain cabins and 75 luxury RV campsites are also included to provide a broad array of lodging options.”

Be interetsing to see how far this project goes? IF at all...

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: New Waterpark proposed for Branson area
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 09:09:05 AM »
So, basically a Wisconsin Dells, Ohio, Poconos, Great Wolf Lodge, Pigeon Forge style resort in Branson.

It's what the area has been missing outside of the smallest examples that already exists. It would certainly book up during the Christmas and spring break seasons if it's a legit, well run one like Kalahari for example.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 10:39:07 AM »
Sounds like it could be a fun, neat addition.  Isn't this the second such one proposed in the last several months?  Or is this the same one that was in the news just a few months back.  Should be interesting to see the artwork when/ if it comes out.

Their location as described sure left me confused though.  It says:
  According to plans provided Thursday to members of a newly formed TIF commission, the redevelopment site is bounded to the east by Henning State Forest, to the south by Branson’s entertainment strip, to the west by a future four-lane loop highway and Table Rock Lake and to the north by Silver Dollar City.

Ummm, what?  76 to the south and SDC to the North?  That doesn't exactly make a lot of sense since SDC is south of 76 and well past where it would be called the entertainment strip.  I'm guessing the highway they are referring to is 265, but not exactly sure.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 10:56:36 AM »
Even bigger than Great Wolf Lodge... GWL Wisconsin Dells is 76,000 feet of water park space, and that's a pretty nice resort with a park to rival WW (not that it's hard to beat WW). This is going to be a big deal if it gets built.

HFEC is probably going to try to sink this project like they always do to keep out competitors, but if there is actual money behind this there's not much they can do. Yet again their conservatism is actually going to cost them. I doubt White Water is doing that well as it is, but this will easily put them under. Plus they loose even more potential for their own resort.

On the bright side though, this could force them to spend more on bringing White Water up to par, draw more people to Branson, and perhaps help nudge the state onward with finishing the highway project. It's about time Branson got some major, serious development again.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 11:18:36 AM »
@sirwillow:

I'm looking at a map, and if the "future 4-lane loop highway" is 465 to the west and the Henning Forest is to the east, I'm thinking the area in question is somewhere near Mutton Hollow?

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 04:45:43 PM »
Sounds like it could be a fun, neat addition.  Isn't this the second such one proposed in the last several months?  Or is this the same one that was in the news just a few months back.  Should be interesting to see the artwork when/ if it comes out.

According to plans provided Thursday to members of a newly formed TIF commission, the redevelopment site is bounded to the east by Henning State Forest, to the south by Branson’s entertainment strip, to the west by a future four-lane loop highway and Table Rock Lake and to the north by Silver Dollar City.

Ummm, what?  76 to the south and SDC to the North?  That doesn't exactly make a lot of sense since SDC is south of 76 and well past where it would be called the entertainment strip.  I'm guessing the highway they are referring to is 265, but not exactly sure.

The 4-lane would be 465 south, not sure how tablerock to the south, SDC to the north and the Forest works into play..?   LOL

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 09:27:29 AM »

The other waterpark announced is the one Westgate is building next to Drafts on Shepherd of the Hills Expressway. Sitework has already started for that park.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 11:55:16 AM »
The Westgate one is tiny though... from what I recall it's more like an indoor pool with a couple extra amenities and a slide or two. This would potentially be an actual water park that would rival any competitor.

And yeah, it sounds like it will be down in the valley below SOTH and north of Celebration City... the actual Mutton Hollow area.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 05:17:42 PM »
There was a Shepard Of The Hills campground years ago in Mutton Hollow. It might take in part of that footprint. Whatever is done I hope they do not strip it and destroy the natural beauty.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 05:40:05 PM »
The Westgate one is tiny though... from what I recall it's more like an indoor pool with a couple extra amenities and a slide or two. This would potentially be an actual water park that would rival any competitor.

And yeah, it sounds like it will be down in the valley below SOTH and north of Celebration City... the actual Mutton Hollow area.

I believe the Westgate Facility is supposed to be 50,000 sf..

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 10:13:47 PM »
More info from today's Branson Tri-Lakes News -- the road to the proposed resort would be a road by the Steak and Shake across from the old Celebration City.

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_free/article_0c806d5a-e4f1-11e7-967f-6fc1bd93f9ff.html

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 08:10:13 AM »
More info from today's Branson Tri-Lakes News -- the road to the proposed resort would be a road by the Steak and Shake across from the old Celebration City.

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_free/article_0c806d5a-e4f1-11e7-967f-6fc1bd93f9ff.html

Sure looks like just down the road from Mutton Hollow.  They've still got that same description in there late that makes no sense at all.  If it's using the road by Steak and Shake, then it's going to be near impossible to have 76 to the south of it unless they dig a road under 76 and into that mountain there.  I think whoever typed that up must have made a mistake and meant it will be south of 76, not the other way around.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2017, 08:43:05 AM »

I believe the Westgate Facility is supposed to be 50,000 sf..

Yeah, but check out the similarly sized Westgate facility near Pigeon Forge. It's not just the floorsize, but how they build it. The Westgate version seems aimed at young kids.

Plus these things seem to scale exponentially after 50,000 sf or so. Just from browsing around at various water park resorts, the ones' over 70,000 sf seem to have a lot more slides and major features.

The location plan is interesting... going to have to find a larger version. I thought that road was supposed to be the terminus of the mountain highway?

$422 million is a mega project for Branson though. Let's hope this gets off the ground - could have a snow ball effect.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2017, 10:34:58 AM »
Some scope is provided when one looks at the new Great Wolf in Colorado Springs that gas a 50,000 square ft indoor park and the new Camelback Lodge Aquatopia in the Poconos that is 125,000 Sq ft, then Kalahari answered that by expanding to 225,000. Wilderness at the Smokies is 60,000 for it's indoor section but it has the outdoor area as well.

But 100,000 can include some serious fun including
Water coasters ,flow riders , smaller wave pool, and funnel , Wave, bowl, racer and drop tube type slides.

It will be interesting to see the actual plans.

I will say that 350 ish rooms seem small for a park that size so they are surEly opening it to the public and not just for lodge stays so that is direct competition for HFE.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 11:14:13 AM by chittlins »

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2017, 07:04:11 AM »
Also, shouldn't this be in the Branson tab not Other Parks.