Author Topic: SDC Railroad  (Read 30003 times)

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: SDC Railroad
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2011, 03:17:16 PM »
I know that I am resurrecting an ancient thread here, but I am curious to know what (if anything) has become of the restoration of the Davenport.

The Silver Dollar Line was one of two influences (the other was the Marx set my Grandfather gave me when I was 1 year old) that started me on a life-long train fascination and adopting the Frisco as my favorite road.

dkparks

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2011, 08:40:18 PM »
I was re-reading this forum following a trip to the City a couple weekends ago. I asked where the loco that was displayed went and saw it sitting back by the square roundhouse. Was told that while they were excavating for Riverblast, the ground gave way and it actually slid down the hill a little. They then moved it back where it is now. Icabod did tell me they were discussing restoring it. I asked cosmetically or operationally. He said it was being discussed. It all had to do with money. If it was restored to operating condition, the money would come out of attractions. If it was restored cosmetically, the money would come out of some other park budget. He did say they wanted to do it for the 50th. That was last year. Could he have meant Frisco Line's 50th? When was the line opened? Also, he did say that it would not pull a 4 car train. 2 cars, yes. 3, maybe, but probably not. Also, do they ever run 2 trains at the same time now? They were very busy a couple weekends ago. Did the short script on the robbery. Even left passengers at the station every time. Seems like that would have been a day to run 2 trains.

crsjrr

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2011, 09:33:17 AM »
Yes, what is new?  Any chance of getting photos of all the locomotives lined up in the engine house/yard?  How about back of the house tours? Any more information on the consists (trains).  How many sets, are they identical, how often are cars added or subtracted.  Any plans to overhaul the train cars?   Last time I rode it appeared the wood on the cars has aged quite a bit.  I would love to see the Davenport back in service, a more "American" looking locomotive. 

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2011, 11:48:47 AM »
I am not the train expert here!

However, I believe there are two sets of four, or five cars (although I could easily be wrong). There are also three working engines, #13, #43, and #76.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2011, 12:49:02 PM »
I got essentially the same story this past Saturday on the Davenport.

Just FYI, there is a very similar Davenport 0-4-0T at the National Museum of Transport in St. Louis.  It has the saddle tank instead of a tender; it was used at the Laclede-Christy firebrick plant for years and years.  It is 30" gauge and cute as a button. 

I have been there when they run two trains; in order to coordinate them, the train coming home usually has to stop just past the robbery (at the crossing near the "round"house) to visually sight the one leaving the depot.  I guess the Silver Dollar Line cannot afford Centralized Traffic Control  ;D :D ;D

cocodane3

« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2011, 03:09:55 PM »
Ok so I was talking to conductor Joe during my trip and this is what he told me. Engine #76 is non operational due to the wheel base and pistons taken off to be re-done.now on to the car situation. One car was taken completely of property to be reconstructed. The engineer said the car would be stripped to the car wheel base and rebuilt with a light weight aluminum. Eventually all cars will e redone in the same fashion. During summer they are pulling three cars with engine  #43. Engine 13 which is attached to the 4 car train is having work done in the roundhouse. If I remember correctly the wheel bearings are being replaced in 13. When I asked about the 4 car train he said there wAs simPly no time to machine the parts due to the extended times of MM. Ok I'm done now.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 03:18:13 PM by cocodane3 »

crsjrr

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2011, 07:01:41 PM »
Great Info, more if anyone else would like to share!

FireInTheHole

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2011, 12:42:50 PM »
It would be nice if they had an exit only station near the HH.  That way you could skip cardiac hill and the traffice coming down the other hill.  This would a lot easier to get around the park.  But overall, I would hate to see anything changed about the railroad.  I even hated the new trams that replaced the old green ones!!!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2011, 05:57:27 PM »
thats quite an idea. too bad that isnt feasable.
 :-[

FireInTheHole

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2011, 11:05:32 AM »
yeah it's totally not an option with the current build and format, but I guess a dreamer can dream.    I like the train as is.  I love the smell and feel while on it.  A true step back into time for me.

crsjrr

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2011, 03:21:07 PM »
Where is the passenger car being taken to for the rebuild?  Is it done locally or at another property with a railroad shop such as Dollywood or Stone Mt.?   Is it just one car a season or will they be able to do whole set during the winter?

cocodane3

« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2011, 04:24:40 PM »
Ok since I brought this topic about the cars I will clarify. The engineer said the car was being redone of property. This puts me under the impression that it sill be redone by a company that specializes in body remodification. Now to the second part of your question. Again the engineer said it will all depend on what the budget shows on ifthey will get a big ride or the budget will focus on restoration. So they could all be done in 3 years or 15 years. The longer they wait the worse condition and repairs will be needed to just keep them operating. Again the restoration is not a 2 month process. They sent the last car off sometime this year but arnt sure when it will be back. They are hoping it will be back for Christmas but it might not be back till the off season. Onother update on the cars they will not have the dome with windows in the sides due to weather proofing issues.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2011, 05:22:05 PM »
oh that will suck!  the dome with windows is part of the ride..  Makes the train all that more authentic.

sounds strangely familar, you know, the trams went 1st. Now the classic looking train cars. >:(

cocodane3

« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2011, 05:34:18 PM »
Yes I understand however if it improves the quality of the ride as far as keeping the rude on the tracks and out of the round(rectangle)house I guess we will just have to be a little more understanding. Are u understanding where I'm coming from?