Author Topic: SDC Railroad  (Read 30174 times)

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
Re: SDC Railroad
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 03:44:38 PM »
I'm with you Zephon, I still think the Williams Gap area would be great for that, although, I personally wouldn't mind a new float trip, or a return of a stage line. But as low tech and green as possable. I want to hear birds and axes chopping, not recorded CCS music.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 03:45:09 PM by Old Guy »
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

mike_kelly87

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 10:24:39 PM »
I don't men to be a buzzkill here, BUT... to be honest with you, I don't see attendance numbers getting any better next year. Look at CF, they are posting profits left and right, not to mention builing a B&M Hyper at KI and a new Wodie at WOF. Even Six flags is expanding. It bugs me that HFE is having troubles in a market that they seem to be the only real ones loosing in.

I just don't see thinkgs getting any better for them. Don't get me wrong, I like the parks, even buy season passes every year, but something is very wrong..  :)

BTW, if they want another train, there is an od stem engine posted on the bulletin board at the Men's center at the Springfield Downtown YMCA.

Tom

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 11:51:57 PM »
Mike Kelly87- you evil evil man.   8) Ya know. . . you just had the guts to say something that we all should have said.  What is wrong with the SDC business model? 
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't SDC bring in just under 3 million visitors a year?
Doesn't SDC charge rent and/or get a percentage of profit from all of their stores?
Are they selling food for too cheap?  Do they need to charge for parking?  Are they too employee intensive?
Everytime that I was at the park, it was full and it sure seemed that people were spending money.  What is going on?

SteamFreak

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 10:13:15 AM »
Does anyone have any information on the history of the Locomotives I've only pieced some bits togeather can anyone add to my mental libary? Basicaly what I have now is

*They were built in the 1930's
*They are german natives
*They run on 2ft or "mountain" gauge used to move livestock in east germany
*3 Engines were purchased in 1960 including the 2, 0-2-0 engines running today and a 2-3-0 with tender.
*They are fired with NO.2 Diesel fuel
*Their top speed is 12 MPH
Anything anyone else knows?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 10:08:53 PM »
^Icabod Peabody drove an engine too fast around that far corner once and wrecked the engine... but that's ok we dusted him off and liquored him up and he is back driving the train again.

Hey Icabod if you are up there give me 3 toots on the whistle *toot* toot*
Icabod I said 3!  He was never very good with numbers, why just the other day I asked "hey Icabod what's 2 + 2"  He told me 4 -- see what I mean!  I mean everyone knows that 3 + 1 is 4.
SWOOSH

SteamFreak

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 09:43:42 AM »
I LOVE that line, when I was little I used to have the whole trip and robbery memorized

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 11:57:00 AM »
The line's been modified a bit over the years, but it's pretty much been the same over time.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2008, 03:35:32 PM »
Your now entering Pottersville, Missouri... you're now leaving Pottersville, Missouri
SWOOSH

SteamFreak

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2008, 09:53:47 PM »
Population 3...well it used to be 4 but the dog ran off...

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 09:59:00 AM »
^Dog Gone.   They call him the German Shepard of the Hills.

Ladies and Gentlemen as a reminder, please keep your hands feet and arms inside the train at all times as we are entering rattlesnake territory, why just the other day a 200lb Rattleheadedcoppermoccasin jumped up and grabbed a lady by the arm and pulled her off the train.  We haven't seen her or the snake ever since, but we've seen her husband.  Yep, just the other day I saw him down at the Silver Dollar Saloon buying rounds of rootbeer drinks for everyone singing "Happy Days are Here Again"

SWOOSH

SteamFreak

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2008, 10:49:07 AM »
Ladies turn your heads...ladies I said the other way...I just saw a lady in car No. 3 take a picture!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2008, 06:11:25 PM »
Quick!  Look to the left - what do you see?  Trees!
Look to your right - what do you see?  More trees!
Know why?
You're in the forest!

Run, Forrest, run!
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2008, 10:23:35 PM »
Ladies turn your heads...ladies I said the other way...I just saw a lady in car No. 3 take a picture!

I don't who flashed who.  ;D

SWOOSH

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2008, 09:59:42 AM »
Whatever happened to the Nate versus Lever joke? I remember that one from my first trip back in '94 and it's never left my mind.

Joy

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2008, 03:22:29 PM »
Back in the 70's, I did a stint as a conductor. Our rifles were cliped to the back of the train and one day a guest leaned his arm back and knocked the rifle out of the clip and it went tumbling off the side of the train. When I got to the robbers shack I was unarmed. Joel (the robber was quick to note the fact) whispered for me to take his gun, a non firing prop. Then came his line, "You not gona' shoot me with that thing are you"?
I then spun the chamber which fell out onto the ground
"Nope" was my response. No one could thing what to say next.
"Loved on Four Contenents!"