Author Topic: Old Time Christmas  (Read 3486 times)

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Old Time Christmas
« on: October 23, 2017, 10:15:57 AM »
I was thinking about going to the city this coming weekend but then got to thinking about OTC opening soon and might wait a week for that.  We usually go a couple of times while it is going on and it is usually a mad house. When it the least busy time to go?  Is opening weekend of it usually packed, or no?  I figure the close to Christmas you get, the busier it gets.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Old Time Christmas
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 10:21:59 AM »
I have always found November before Thanksgiving to be the best time to see the lights.  Crowds are usually manageable, the rule of thumb, dont go on Saturday and you should be ok.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 08:50:23 PM »
The weekend before thanksgiving is opening day for deer season in many parts, not to mention being a busy weekend for parties. I imagine it's a great weekend to go.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 09:34:57 AM »
We are going November 9-12...the earliest we have ever gone. We typically go Thanksgiving day thru that weekend, always super busy then so we're seeing how the 9-12 will be this year.

Looks like most hotels/motels are booked solid for the 9-12, so we've booked a Condo. Wondering how SDC will be those days. It will be fun regardless, SDC at Christmas is our favorite time to visit.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 09:45:44 AM »
That is also "Veterens Week",  which is why motels are booked.. Would expect smaller crowds on thur-friday and Sunday..  Will be BUSY on sat!

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 01:37:34 PM »
Glad they are giving out trailblazer passes that weekend.  We are going to coaster Christmas on the 11th

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 08:27:56 PM »
We are going November 9-12...the earliest we have ever gone. We typically go Thanksgiving day thru that weekend, always super busy then so we're seeing how the 9-12 will be this year.

Looks like most hotels/motels are booked solid for the 9-12, so we've booked a Condo. Wondering how SDC will be those days. It will be fun regardless, SDC at Christmas is our favorite time to visit.

There are also a number of hotel/motels in Branson West and Kimberling City.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 10:32:54 AM »

There are also a number of hotel/motels in Branson West and Kimberling City.

That are booked?
You have a great past just ahead of you.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 02:02:50 PM »
Me and my group were there last weekend.  I was alone Friday night so I popped in for a few minutes before my daughters and spouses showed up and we headed out to Reeds Spring Pizza. they were selling reduced admission Friday due to the cold weather and no rides running. $42.99 I think. I was in for just a hour or so and the crowd was very light. Saturday we headed out about 1 PM and the signs were up that most of the coasters would be closed for the day so I expected the same reduced admission but when we bought my daughters pass it was regular price minus the season pass discount.

But by about 2:00 we were at thunderation and they announced Powder Keg would be opening. Maybe someone outside forgot to change the sign since wildfire was running also. We took the 5:30 lantern tour of the cave. Something I always wanted to do and it was worth the extra. Not sure I believe some of the stories they tell but it is entertaining. After that we went to midtown and was quite impressed. But, it borders on gaudy was our group's determination. Also, If you are agnostic or atheist like me you could be offended with all the religious elements. I will say this SDC knows the target audience. White ultra conservative christians and they do it well.
Visited for a long time in the knife shop ( My favorite place on park ) this area of the park was dead. But I always enjoy visiting and even self gifted myself a Charles Smith knife. Took in the Saloon show and it was very good. The new cast is great this year.
We heard from 2 different Park employees the attendance was 17500 form one and 20000 from the other so take your pick. As we were leaving the lantern tour the first parade crowd was leaving and it was quite the mess in the hospitality house. Also, our cave guide said we would not stop at the old picture platform since they were opening up the alternate entrance. All I know it was very crowded and almost impassable at the pinch points at times.

All In all a great visit for Christmas this year. BTW cinnamon bread was great as always.