Author Topic: Dollywood first time  (Read 5352 times)

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Dollywood first time
« on: October 09, 2017, 10:54:08 AM »
So I have gone to SDC since I was a kid (40 years) but my family never made it to Dollywood. The week after Thanksgiving this year, I am taking my second Epic trip of the year from Springfield, MO east to the ocean and then to the gulf. I already drove to California this year... Anyway, one of the stops is going to be in Dollywood on the Saturday after Thanksgiving... I know, horrible day to go but it was either that or black Friday with the rest of the itinerary.

So this being my first time there and I will just be there the one day, what should I not miss? I don't much do rides so mostly will be shops/food/shows that I should not miss

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
Re: Dollywood first time
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 02:33:03 PM »
At the slight risk of sounding self promoting, we got some video footage around the park during our trip a couple of months ago.  it doesn't show everything, but it can give you a good look around the park and help you see some of it- and maybe help you decide if some things are worth seeing and others worth skipping.

https://youtu.be/0LDJy9nU4-w
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 09:30:19 AM »
Thank you. It looks a lot more Six Flag-ish than I expected. A lot more rides. Not sure what will be open for their Christmas festival. But I am there anyway on my trip. Worth the time just to say I went

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 07:57:34 PM »
It's far more like SDC than it is Six Flags. There are more rides, which we tended to focus on, but there's still plenty of the craftspeople.  And more shows and entertainment than there is at SDC as well.  We just didn't do to many of them as my kids aren't country music fans.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 08:50:02 PM »
^What Sir Willow said!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 09:13:01 PM »
Just don’t go in expecting SDC and you’ll be fine.  DW is its own park.  There’s not a cohesive theme and some things are just stuck randomly around the park, but it somehow works.  Not sure about the “more entertainment” - seems to be about the same as SDC to me.  It’s just all in one area so it’s more in your face there (maybe why you noticed it more?)
SWOOSH

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 08:06:11 AM »
I knew it would be different. I guess the "flatness" of it all and the walkways just reminded me of Six Flags St. Louis a lot. I am going regardless as I've a day budgeted there and will be interesting to see their take on Christmas. I'll be by myself so I can cover a lot of ground quickly. My luck, though, it will be raining all day

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 06:27:05 PM »
Its actually a really awesome park, more than just a flatter SDC clone. I look at it as a perfect blend of SDC with bits of Celebration City an Six Flags sprinkled in.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 08:51:15 AM by sdcfan88 »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2023, 08:39:23 AM »
I know we get half-priced tickets for Dollywood with our SDC season passes, but can I use one season pass to purchase more than one ticket for Dollywood?  We have three season passes, but we need four Dollywood tickets.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2023, 01:51:21 PM »
I believe that it is now one discounted ticket per season pass. In the past, I think you could purchase 2 discounted tickets per pass. I would call and ask and then I would even ask at the actual ticket booth when you are purchasing them; you never know if they would go ahead and give you another at the discount.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 01:55:05 PM by mg »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2023, 08:42:42 PM »
I believe that it is now one discounted ticket per season pass. In the past, I think you could purchase 2 discounted tickets per pass. I would call and ask and then I would even ask at the actual ticket booth when you are purchasing them; you never know if they would go ahead and give you another at the discount.

That’ll definitely be our plan. Thank you.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating