Author Topic: Great Pumpkin LumiNights at SDC?  (Read 12743 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Great Pumpkin LumiNights at SDC?
« on: October 08, 2017, 08:07:33 PM »
So Dollywood pioneered a new festival this year, "Great Pumpkin LumiNights". It's a whimsical, family-friendly take on halloween. What I think is really interesting about this event is that it splits DW into two areas: the modern halloween area with rides and the "old" park with the DW's version of the Gospel festival and the crafts. This is right in line with how DW is set up, it's already much more of a compartmentalized park with different areas with their own themes and ambiance. 

It begs the question though, how long until SDC tries to follow suit? By all accounts the event has been a massive success already, with the biggest problem being the massive crowds and DW's small pathways. Harvest time is SDC's "calm before the storm" ahead of Christmas. It's traditionally a time for the older patrons to come back and enjoy the things that originally made the park great like the various craft and gospel fests that have been tried at this time throughout the years. From what I hear though, visiting craftsmen are getting harder and harder to bring in, and we all know that halloween stuff of any kind is so, so hot right now. Just makes sense to go after something like this. The whole backside of the park from the Lumbercamp to FL would be perfect for it.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
Re: Great Pumpkin LumiNights at SDC?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 11:35:44 PM »
I wouldn't mind it at SDC if it is kept towards the back corners of the park or more ideally at Firemans Landing or Grand Expo.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 09:05:32 AM »
We plan on visiting Dollywood around this time next year, one of the reasons is this.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 12:46:12 PM »
What would ideal would be to set it up in the parking lot between FL and GE then it’s not even in the park 😉
SWOOSH

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 12:28:39 AM »
With all the rumors of the fall festival about to undergo a big change at SDC after this season, this statement on another forum seems to further support the potential of SDC following suit with Dollywood's LumiNights festival.

The Harvest Festival and pretty much all of October was probably the busiest time for Dollywood last season. I would say more popular than Christmas and more popular than most summer weekend's.

During the day, while school is in session, it's mostly older folks look for fall colors and listening to gospel music but when school lets out it gets very crowded, or did last year. It also depends on the weather but October is usually fairly mild, again, making it a very popular time.

I visited several weekends and weekdays (evenings) last year in October and ride times backed up. During the day, not so much.. most stuff was a walk on. That's what makes Dollywood unique! You will see the park transform from older folks enjoying shows and leaves to a very young crowd enjoying night rides on coasters and luminights.

I'd stay away on weekends or days when school is out!! It was so crowded last year, they added on to the pathways mainly for luminights and gospel festival, so mainly for this month!

Also, for folks visiting over the next few weeks, keep in mind that area schools are out for fall break.. its a staggered break so not all counties are out at once but weekdays might be a little busy for the next week or two. Good time to visit the park though!!

Just like what was done with Moonlight Madness HFEC sees whats hot and draws crowds right now for their parks. I can almost guarantee they will be doing this (or something similar) at SDC in the near future.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 12:32:02 AM by sdcfan88 »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 08:27:05 AM »
I for one, being 60 years old, could care less about the "frightfest" theme..   
If they do bring it in, as you guys suggested I would hope they split it in the area...
surrounding Lake silver over to FL would be a good fit,  then if they need to expand it the following year they could move in GE somehow..
I would like to see the crafts, fall festival and a couple of shows stay up front..  It could easily be done, lots of room on the square, road to TT, and of course down to GE.. 
Of course this would be just my opinion, well maybe mine and several thousand others out there that are my age or have my attitude. 

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 10:06:32 AM »
Personally I think this would be awesome.  And I have a feeling there's a good chance they are going this direction.  Honestly the fall festival is possibly our favorite right now, outside of Christmas, but it's obvious that it's struggling. And there have been enough rumors and rumbling that it's getting majorly overhauled, so if they aren't going to do it again in current form, then I think that would be a great replacement.

For those that are thinking "Frightfest/ scarefest" kind of thing though, it won't be like that.  If anything, I imagine it would be much more like Disney's extremely popular "Not So Scary Halloween party"- an event that is very kid and family friendly.  There is a lot of dislike in the upper echelon of some of what happens in other parks at Halloween, one of the reasons they've never done anything for it. So they're not going to go with the dark, scary, gory kind of event.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 10:17:13 AM »
I get to experience LumiNights this year! My friends and I are going to Dollywood on Halloween! I can't wait to check it out. From the pictures I've seen and the stuff I've read on the DW site, I think LumiNights would be an excellent fit for SDC.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 02:59:38 PM »
Yup, my expectations have only grown over the past year, especially when they announced the expansions to DWs this year. It's inevitable. It does sound cute, but it is the end of an era for the celebration of crafts and old time stuff at SDC. Maybe some if it will be worked back into SDCs version.

Can't argue with the success DW has had.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2018, 03:35:16 PM »
Well, I mean, Dollywood still does the Harvest/Crafts thing. In fact, when I looked at their list of craftsmen this year, it was interesting to note that two are from Missouri - interesting that they'd be at DW instead of SDC, considering the location.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2018, 09:14:29 PM »
As mentioned by Shave in the OP, Dollywood has compartmentalized the two festivals throughout the park, and as discussed before in this thread I think it will be most logical for them to maintain and preserve the old SDC crafts festival by the square/midtown area down towards the lumbercamp while the back portions of the park (namely FL, GE, and the Lake Silver area up to Outlaw Run) will host the new event.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 09:20:18 PM by sdcfan88 »

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 11:00:32 AM »
Coasters are better at night.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 05:53:41 PM »
Seems an odd name - more of a Charlie Brown title.  I guess the lawyers cleared it for them.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 07:46:12 AM »