Author Topic: Six Flags St. Louis: Then vs. Now  (Read 2993 times)

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
Six Flags St. Louis: Then vs. Now
« on: September 29, 2017, 01:03:20 AM »
I came across this really neat post about Six Flags St. Louis when it was Six Flags Over Mid-America in the 70s.

http://fuzzy64.livejournal.com/155244.html

The guy took his old photos from back in the day and recreated them in the modern day park.

I LOVE history so this got me really excited. My husband and I spent the last couple hours finding everything on the modern day park map, and from our memory of how the park looks now, and tried to figure out every detail of what has been changed.

I would love to find more things like this of other places. Six Flags was a really cool find for us since we go all the time, only living 20 minutes away. I saved all of the old pictures on my phone and I'm going to do my own scavenger hunt next time I go, hopefully uncovering more details of the past that have been left.

One of my favorite things I noticed: Most the street lights you see in the old pictures are still there today! We used some of them as clues to figure out some specific details.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 01:05:44 AM by tiffanylynnt »
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Six Flags St. Louis: Then vs. Now
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 09:27:26 PM »
Oh wow, that's so cool! Thanks for posting this!

I had seen something similar a few weeks ago where a guy took a bunch of super old photos of resorts and then recreated them how they look now. Ever since I read that, I've had this idea of doing the same thing for SDC. I own quite a few old postcards and such, and there are plenty of other pictures available online that I could recreate. I just gotta be able to make it to the park at some point. :D

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 10:48:03 AM »
Thanks, Tiffany!  That was really cool.  I was there the first year Six Flags opened, and my brother worked at the Tom and Huck ride during summers, so I sent it to him.

kbosch1

• McCoy
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 11:58:21 AM »
These are really good!

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 07:41:46 PM »
That's a fun read....love this type of history.  Thanks for posting.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 05:33:36 PM »
Very cool site.  Love how they compare the past with the present in the photos.  Thanks a bunch for sharing it.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.