Author Topic: New Year's Eve  (Read 6318 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
New Year's Eve
« on: September 25, 2017, 07:00:48 AM »
 So, while I was in town this weekend, I talked to a couple of people close to the SDC family. I was told they are actually having a NYE party at the city for the public, was told they are going to bring in "The New Year"..??

According to the schedule they are closing at 7 pm on NYE day, and 8pm new years day..

Has anyone here heard anything about extended hours on NYE?

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: New Year's Eve
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 09:49:39 AM »
Sand, I thought something was mentioned last year about New Years Eve at the City. I know I heard it somewhere, because Hubs and I were looking forward to it.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 10:00:31 AM »
Sand, I thought something was mentioned last year about New Years Eve at the City. I know I heard it somewhere, because Hubs and I were looking forward to it.

I could not get any other details either,, 

I did tell them IF that was true....SDC better start advertising it.!!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 03:18:48 PM »
Here is a Promo page for NYE and New Years Day at the city..   Open until 10pm.  I had misread hours earlier this fall..

https://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/Events/New-Years-Celebration

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 03:54:41 PM »
Here is a Promo page for NYE and New Years Day at the city..   Open until 10pm.  I had misread hours earlier this fall..

https://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/Events/New-Years-Celebration

10pm?  Their calendar says 11-7pm New Year's Eve and Noon to 8pm New Year's Day.  Where did you see 10pm?
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 08:27:15 AM »
I love that they are open on New Year's Eve and day this year. However, it doesn't make much sense to close at 10 PM on New Year's Eve. Why not actually ring in the new year and be open a little past midnight?
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 08:59:18 AM »
You cant open for New Years and not ring in the new year.  Maybe they should have a big event down at the red-gold barn.  Doesn't make sense to be open till 10.  Understanding its cold hold several "parties" in the larger on park venues. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 10:54:06 AM by mhguy77 »

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 09:28:03 AM »
One of my favorite NYE's with the family we've ever had was ringing in the new year at Six Flags over Texas. But they don't even stay open until midnight anymore.

We basically had the park to ourselves that night (it was fairly cold but not horrible), the rides were open and had no lines, everyone gathered at the front fountain for the countdown and fireworks. The crowd in the front wasn't bad, had a fun time dancing to a new artist named Katy Perry with her new song Hot and Cold. Fireworks weren't anything special but they were there.

I'm guessing the reason SFoT doesn't stay open to midnight is the crowds just don't really come. It was great for us, but probably not for business.

Jay

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 09:38:10 AM »
Ok, I'll ask again as I still can't find it on their web page at all...

Where are y'all seeing that they are open until 10pm on New Year's Eve?  Everything I'm seeing from the park- their web page, their app, etc., all says until 7pm on New Year's Eve.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 09:38:50 AM »
I'm guessing the reason SFoT doesn't stay open to midnight is the crowds just don't really come. It was great for us, but probably not for business.
This may be right, I would think they (SDC) are assuming a lot before their first shot at the Holiday.  You learn from experience, I would rather run it full board than 3/4 way since you only have one first.  I would also think in this area that a non-partying atmosphere would be in great desire.  Church trips ect.  I am thinking you could market this to a Christian or non-drinking family crowd.  Drop off the kids at a safe event sounds like a selling point.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 09:43:50 AM »
Ok, I'll ask again as I still can't find it on their web page at all...

Where are y'all seeing that they are open until 10pm on New Year's Eve?  Everything I'm seeing from the park- their web page, their app, etc., all says until 7pm on New Year's Eve.

This confuses me more, 7 pm?  no cake on your birthday? no presents at Christmas? No candy on Haloween?
 Some things are traditions, don't invite me to pay for Thanksgiving at your restaurant while setting out a buffet that lacks Turkey.  Frankly, I don't care if you are worried about losing money and this is why you skipped the turkey, you made the decision to open, do it right or pick up your marbles and go home.

No 12 pm fireworks at the SDC "New Years" party?  I am lost here.   

Welcome to "Corporate Run" Herschend Family Entertainment -
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 09:56:31 AM by mhguy77 »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 11:21:20 AM »
I mean, it doesn't even necessarily have anything to do with "corporate", it's just basic business. There will be lots of people in the area ringing in the new year at their timeshares/condos/whatever, so it makes sense to stay open during the day, but I'm sure they've done their research and are guessing that most people will want to be either "home" or at a party in Branson for the actual countdown.

I'd like a party at SDC, and would be very tempted to go, but I'm betting that if they tried that they would get maybe a few hundred people there. That's enough for a nice party, but it's absolute peanuts for a giant theme park like this. Just way more effort than it is worth. No one wants to be leaving SDC at 12:30 or 1AM to head back into Branson on New Years with all the drunks running around.

If they had a resort on site, then it would make more sense.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 12:50:54 PM »
I'd like a party at SDC, and would be very tempted to go, but I'm betting that if they tried that they would get maybe a few hundred people there. That's enough for a nice party, but it's absolute peanuts for a giant theme park like this.

I appreciate and agree with a lot of your points however in business you have things called loss leaders. When you start a new event it is just that, a loss leader.  Just like .01 ramen noodles or mac and cheese boxes at the grocery.  When you start a new "event" and call it a New Years Party you are communicating with your crowds through that statement.  They are not carrying through with the event that is perceived a certain way because of how it has been advertised.  I remember not so long ago we were talking about changing the "Old Time Christmas" name, the backlash on here was that its description delivered just what the crowd will be expecting and experiancing, that's effective honest marketing.  I dont think they have hit the nail this time.  JMO

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 02:39:59 PM »
I think they would have to introduce some adult beverages if it was to be a successful all night event. The employees would like to cut loose a little too. I do not think it would work at all. New years eve parties come with expectations. They would have to be perfectly clear that this is a tea tottler event.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 08:34:33 PM »
the other thing to consider though is what the weather is likely to be like that time of year.  If it's a warm day then it will be in the 20's at night.  There's a strong chance around here that it will be in the teens, or possibly even in the single digits.  That means no rides open and freezing guests.  Who wants to be in a theme park in those conditions?

Even when they are open until 10pm during those days, the park will usually empty out after the first parade- between 7:30 and 8, because it's usually just to plain cold to enjoy it.  Rarely it'll warm up a bit more and not be so bad.  But I spent many a night freezing my tail off on the back of the train with sparse crowds after 8:30-9, and can't imagine many sticking around after midnight, even if there were fireworks.