Author Topic: SDC's 2020 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 148348 times)

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2020 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #210 on: March 18, 2019, 08:55:59 PM »
Maybe that's how they funnel the rafts into the loading dock? To me it looks like it's leading into what Swoosh is speculating the station to me.

EDIT: Nevermind, the foundation for the station looks to be in the background of the section they're making
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 08:59:40 PM by legoerosion »

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 19, 2019, 09:36:00 PM »
^If you click back a couple pages in this thread I made the note with one of the photos that they appear to have saved the old rafts and were apparently using them for testing. This trough above seems to support the theory that they are indeed being reused. I don't think the newer (larger) boats would fit in those.

Right, but even the old rafts seem like they would be too large for this trough. Will be interesting to see how the project progresses. On a separate, but related note. If it is assumed that a newer version of Lake Silver will in fact flank the new attraction, I'm curious what the motivation is in keeping it at all. The aesthetic value in doing so is obvious, but that real estate seems way too valuable to throw a smaller "lake" back into the space. Given how easily the old lake was drained to allow for construction of the 2020 project, does anyone have reason to believe the newer lake might only be temporary until another attraction is shoehorned into the footprint?   

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #212 on: March 19, 2019, 10:31:44 PM »
It sounds like the old rafts have found a new home at a park known for a butterfly logo.  I’ll see if I can spot them during my visit later this week. 
SWOOSH

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 20, 2019, 08:03:27 PM »

On a separate, but related note. If it is assumed that a newer version of Lake Silver will in fact flank the new attraction, I'm curious what the motivation is in keeping it at all. The aesthetic value in doing so is obvious, but that real estate seems way too valuable to throw a smaller "lake" back into the space. Given how easily the old lake was drained to allow for construction of the 2020 project, does anyone have reason to believe the newer lake might only be temporary until another attraction is shoehorned into the footprint?

Raft rides have to have a place for the water to go when the pumps are shut off. When the pumps are shut off the trough drains into either a holding pond, if not the lowest end of the ride has to have walls high enough to hold all the water from the entire ride.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 08:05:21 PM by SDC#1fan »
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 21, 2019, 04:47:16 PM »
So was LRO fed entirely through the water from Lake Silver? Goes without saying that constructing a holding pond for the water versus utilizing a "natural" source already on site would be much more costly, but using a natural lake also doesn't feel very sanitary. Is water circulated and filtered through pumps that run the attraction in this case?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 21, 2019, 05:28:55 PM »
Confirmed.  The old Lost River rafts are arriving at Dollywood right now.  Photos later tonight
SWOOSH

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 21, 2019, 05:45:05 PM »
Confirmed.  The old Lost River rafts are arriving at Dollywood right now.  Photos later tonight

Do they have a raft ride similar to the LR?

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #217 on: March 21, 2019, 07:02:52 PM »
First of all, aren't there multiple locations in the park where water is recirculated into water features?  Would those also originate in the lake?  Secondly, the fact that they rebuilt the whole FL side of the lake and called it FL would indicate that the lake will stay in the long term.  I expect more improvements to the shoreline in combination with this project.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 21, 2019, 09:02:50 PM »

Do they have a raft ride similar to the LR?

Yes.  Smoky Mountain Rampage
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 21, 2019, 09:03:50 PM »
Here are the photos of the Lost River rafts arriving at Dollywood
http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2019/03/riverfront-lost-river-sdc_21.html
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 22, 2019, 07:26:16 AM »

I find it interesting that the rafts are being rplaced at SDC, But yet they are good enough to reuse at the sister park.  Just strikes me as funny.   

No doubt they would be sold and move on, But to stay in the family, funny to me

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 22, 2019, 08:23:10 AM »
Is it possible that the rafts for this ride be more traditional and not round with side by side seating and always forward facing, A hybrid Raft/Flume ride?

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 22, 2019, 08:34:55 AM »
Is it possible that the rafts for this ride be more traditional and not round with side by side seating and always forward facing, A hybrid Raft/Flume ride?

My question ( I have not seen in person) the trough with the full turn looks small, it might be the angle the photo is at.  Could this be a trough to carry just water?  Maybe this is part of maintaining the water flow but will not carry a tube.  Possible?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 22, 2019, 02:48:53 PM »
Expect the model of the rafts to be almost identical to Infinity Falls.  The gauge of the trough is exactly the same. 
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 22, 2019, 02:51:17 PM »

I find it interesting that the rafts are being rplaced at SDC, But yet they are good enough to reuse at the sister park.  Just strikes me as funny.   

No doubt they would be sold and move on, But to stay in the family, funny to me

The center of gravity of the smaller rafts allows for more intense maneuvers.  This isn’t just the typical bob and splash river rapids this time
SWOOSH