Author Topic: SDC's 2020 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 148317 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDC's 2020 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #120 on: January 02, 2019, 03:13:25 PM »
Quote from: History Buff link=topic=3791.msg76945#msg76945
I know it would entail another railroad bridge or tunnel, but I wondered if a new path might be made through the current fireman's cemetery.  It was a long shot question, and not something I would like to see happen.

Well... considering there are plans in the not so distant future for doing away with the one Crossing that’s currently not an underpass in the near future, I doubt they’d want to create another
SWOOSH

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 02, 2019, 04:49:18 PM »
Swoosh, what is your confidence level in the speculation that LOR is being truly being razed for a new water attraction versus something else? As you pointed out with your recent pictures, with Lake Silver gone (even if temporarily), that is a very large footprint capable of accommodating just about anything HFEC would want to put there. Also, outside of retaining natural aesthetics, what value would incorporating a newer Lake Silver hold? This is awfully valuable real estate to have a lake with no purpose. I'm not insinuating anything. As long as we're still speculating, I'm simply wondering if the entire cleared footprint will be utilized for whatever attraction is in the works for '20, or they're clearing everything to make way for the attraction, which will include some newer iteration of Lake Silver, if that makes sense. 

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 02, 2019, 06:19:19 PM »
Swoosh, what is your confidence level in the speculation that LOR is being truly being razed for a new water attraction versus something else? As you pointed out with your recent pictures, with Lake Silver gone (even if temporarily), that is a very large footprint capable of accommodating just about anything HFEC would want to put there. Also, outside of retaining natural aesthetics, what value would incorporating a newer Lake Silver hold? This is awfully valuable real estate to have a lake with no purpose. I'm not insinuating anything. As long as we're still speculating, I'm simply wondering if the entire cleared footprint will be utilized for whatever attraction is in the works for '20, or they're clearing everything to make way for the attraction, which will include some newer iteration of Lake Silver, if that makes sense.

98% sure and about 80% sure it’ll be like Infinity Falls. 
New LR is only a small part of this new project.  They’re being very tight lipped on what’ll happen eventually around Riverfront Playhouse.  They don’t refer to it as “the most valuable land in the park” for nothing
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 02, 2019, 07:20:50 PM »

@ Swoosh,   
I Was there sunday..  rode train a couple of time to look at the site..
Why do you think they are "saving" that superstructure?.   
Did you see the word "save" painted on the east side.?
I cant see them reusing it on new project.

I think they plan to use it in the theming of the new ride as a tribute to the past.  It kind of blows my mind as they’ve been doing so much clean cut lately that this is a foreign way of thinking for them.

Wow, that is pretty interesting if they are indeed saving this seemingly random wall. I know some of us fans have been critical of some of the bulldozing mentality that has gone on with some of the recent additions. It would be really cool to see them respond with some kind of gesture like this. It really keeps the spirit of the city alive somehow when bits and pieces can survive and be repurposed through the generations. There's always been such a tradition of re-using things at SDC, with the Lost River area now being prepared for it's FOURTH ride when you consider the Greedy Bros stuff as well as Rube Dugans.

It does look odd sitting up there, it is pretty good sized,  and for sure being saved on purpose for now. 

Will be interesting to see how it works into the "plan" of things..

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2019, 07:16:36 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/11/16/business/media/disney-invests-billions-in-theme-parks.html?smid=fb-share&fbclid=IwAR3x1PwLZcN7J_2GS2rF0HcvvY48tLPajJdoKiUQXMYLlrKYNJURr_UFNaM]https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/11/16/business/media/disney-invests-billions-in-theme-parks.html?smid=fb-share&fbclid=IwAR3x1PwLZcN7J_2GS2rF0HcvvY48tLPajJdoKiUQXMYLlrKYNJURr_UFNaM

On topic when you consider the influx of customers.  I have a personal theory as to why the Theme Parks are doing well right now.  We were discussing the number of days that SDC sent out notices via text (Get here fast or forget it)  They closed the gates at times this year.  Parking Full.  I just hope they dont believe they can close parts of the park for seasons at a time under this visitation level.  Is it wise to close 20% of your park when you are having bumper crowds without doing something to sop up the 20%.  If you dont provide a new distraction you are dispersing them into the major ride lines that are already full.  SDC  is in dire need of more benches and distractions and less dip & dots and Frozen lemonade stands every 10 ft.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 03, 2019, 09:14:43 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/11/16/business/media/disney-invests-billions-in-theme-parks.html?smid=fb-share&fbclid=IwAR3x1PwLZcN7J_2GS2rF0HcvvY48tLPajJdoKiUQXMYLlrKYNJURr_UFNaM]https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/11/16/business/media/disney-invests-billions-in-theme-parks.html?smid=fb-share&fbclid=IwAR3x1PwLZcN7J_2GS2rF0HcvvY48tLPajJdoKiUQXMYLlrKYNJURr_UFNaM

On topic when you consider the influx of customers.  I have a personal theory as to why the Theme Parks are doing well right now.  We were discussing the number of days that SDC sent out notices via text (Get here fast or forget it)  They closed the gates at times this year.  Parking Full.  I just hope they dont believe they can close parts of the park for seasons at a time under this visitation level.  Is it wise to close 20% of your park when you are having bumper crowds without doing something to sop up the 20%.  If you dont provide a new distraction you are dispersing them into the major ride lines that are already full.  SDC  is in dire need of more benches and distractions and less dip & dots and Frozen lemonade stands every 10 ft.

TF? Your post makes it sound like you’ve never been to SDC
SWOOSH

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 03, 2019, 04:33:12 PM »

98% sure and about 80% sure it’ll be like Infinity Falls. 
New LR is only a small part of this new project.  They’re being very tight lipped on what’ll happen eventually around Riverfront Playhouse.  They don’t refer to it as “the most valuable land in the park” for nothing

Beyond an attraction to cool off during the dead of summer, can someone please help me understand what the novelty, or allure is with spending millions of dollars on a river rapids ride in 2020? So Infinity Falls has a unique loading and lift system and a 40 foot drop? Not sure I get the wow factor. Not trying to be a pessimist, but even that doesn't feel like anything revolutionary to an already relatively mundane ride concept. Is this simply a necessary evil for the PTB in terms of keeping a people eater in the center of the park for the dog days when it's filled to capacity and many welcome any refuge from the elements they can find? If and only if this took shape in a highly themed way, a la Disney's Kali River Rapids, then I could get on board. Have no doubt whatever fills the space will look nice, but without anything thematic in terms of the ride experience, it's just going to be another river rapids ride, even if it has a state-of-the-art lift system and an underwhelming drop of over 40 ft that puts into the "tallest" category.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 04:35:05 PM by BackInTime9 »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 03, 2019, 05:48:37 PM »
Quote from: BackInTime9
Beyond an attraction to cool off during the dead of summer, can someone please help me understand what the novelty, or allure is with spending millions of dollars on a river rapids ride in 2020? So Infinity Falls has a unique loading and lift system and a 40 foot drop? Not sure I get the wow factor. Not trying to be a pessimist, but even that doesn't feel like anything revolutionary to an already relatively mundane ride concept. Is this simply a necessary evil for the PTB in terms of keeping a people eater in the center of the park for the dog days when it's filled to capacity and many welcome any refuge from the elements they can find? If and only if this took shape in a highly themed way, a la Disney's Kali River Rapids, then I could get on board. Have no doubt whatever fills the space will look nice, but without anything thematic in terms of the ride experience, it's just going to be another river rapids ride, even if it has a state-of-the-art lift system and an underwhelming drop of over 40 ft that puts into the "tallest" category.

LR was due for a very expensive rehab.  The ride system they had was lacking several modern safety measures and was far from being ADA compliant.  The trough was losing a lot water every day due to large cracks that it had occurred over the years due to neglect and a couple earthquakes. 

As far as you not personally getting the “wow factor” - you’re not the target audience so that’s to be expected. 

It’s a little early in the process for the outrage in the rest of your post as nothing has been made public. 

Let’s pump the breaks for now and wait for the process to play out.  You got two years to worry yet. 

SWOOSH

MoOzark

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • I raised the Dizzy Dogs from little pups.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 03, 2019, 07:02:41 PM »
...with Lake Silver gone (even if temporarily), that is a very large footprint capable of accommodating just about anything HFEC would want to put there. Also, outside of retaining natural aesthetics, what value would incorporating a newer Lake Silver hold? This is awfully valuable real estate to have a lake with no purpose. I'm not insinuating anything. As long as we're still speculating, I'm simply wondering if the entire cleared footprint will be utilized for whatever attraction is in the works for '20, or they're clearing everything to make way for the attraction, which will include some newer iteration of Lake Silver, if that makes sense.

Lake Silver is not just a fish pond. It is a geological feature, far older than Silver Dollar City. Surely the engineers know it is not a good place to build. It would create severe drainage problems if the lake were covered up. It is also a historical feature that should be kept. I really don't expect to see Lake Silver pass away.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #129 on: January 03, 2019, 07:29:18 PM »

TF? Your post makes it sound like you’ve never been to SDC

mhguy77 has a point. Lost River was a big ride that helped soak up some of the summer crowds... I just wouldn't call it anything close to 20% of the park. We're talking about them being down one water ride, a couple stores, and the dockside theater. I don't think we'll really see a huge impact to the other lines in the park, but it's always nice to have plenty of options to spread people out more and LR always held a big line. By the time we get to the crazy hectic Christmas season though it's a moot point because it wouldn't be open anyway. That's when they are usually reaching capacity. Totally agree about needing more benches.

BackInTime9, I think both the engineers and the park know what they are doing. I don't think they have a huge problem designing around drainage seeing as they are built on some hilltops. As for the historical nature of the pond... lol, it was just a puddle when SDC started and they turned it into what it is today. I'm sure it will look nice in it's next iteration as well.

The new ride will have plenty of wow factor, I'm sure. Lost River wasn't exactly a prime river rapids ride. The only unique thing was how it ended going through the building. The new ride will almost definitely have some neat landscaping and updated rapids features at the very least. They aren't going through all this trouble just to get another so-so water ride. Even if enthusiasts aren't impressed, it'll be nice and new, and most importantly safer and easier to operate and maintain.

johnburton

• Hatfield
  • Owner of Escape Code and The Axe Game in Branson
    • View Profile
    • TPF! Travel
« Reply #130 on: January 03, 2019, 08:41:49 PM »
Infinity Falls is a super cool ride. I'd love to see something like that come to SDC. You can see us riding it here: https://youtu.be/sc1Ep3VE0J8
Owner of Escape Code and The Axe Game in Branson, Missouri.

Co-host of TPF! Trips, Places and Fun

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 04, 2019, 07:27:54 AM »

LR was due for a very expensive rehab.  The ride system they had was lacking several modern safety measures and was far from being ADA compliant.  The trough was losing a lot water every day due to large cracks that it had occurred over the years due to neglect and a couple earthquakes. 

As far as you not personally getting the “wow factor” - you’re not the target audience so that’s to be expected. 

It’s a little early in the process for the outrage in the rest of your post as nothing has been made public. 

Let’s pump the breaks for now and wait for the process to play out.  You got two years to worry yet.

Agreed, dont get all fired up about something that hasnt even been announced yet.

If you dont like the ride/attraction, go to a different area 

I for one NEVER rode LR, BUT it needed a major facelift, and the PTB have decided to do so. Good for them!!

Enjoy the upgraded look of the park, walk past it and go a part of the park that makes you happy..

Whatever the new attraction is, Not everybody will like it, enjoy it, or even approve, But it had to be done..

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 04, 2019, 08:32:17 AM »
I'm glad they are investing in a new non-coaster ride. Coasters are nice, but they aren't for everybody. You can add all the drops and loops you want, but a coaster is a coaster. A variety of rides (water rides, dark rides, coasters, etc.) is what appeals to me.

Plus, the atmosphere at the riverfront is fantastic. Even though I didn't ride the Lost River often, I love the sounds and the general feel of the riverfront area. I'm excited that they are making this investment!

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 04, 2019, 11:22:19 AM »

Outrage? I was simply asking an honest question. And I think it's a bit unfair not to mention presumptuous to say I'm not the audience for a river rapids ride. As I stated in my post, I wasn't insinuating anything. Merely asking the question about it's need an validity. Are rapids rides my favorite thing? No. Will I ride them? Of course. As will my kids. So yes, Swoosh, I am the target audience.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 11:28:30 AM by BackInTime9 »

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 04, 2019, 11:31:45 AM »
Me too, Pudgy! No more coasters and more non-coaster heavily themed fun rides!  I did ride LR, but the last time there was such a sharp bump that it hurt a man with back problems on the ride.  You could see it in his face.  We all felt the bump and wondered what the heck it was. And, I love the feel of the Riverfront area, also.