Author Topic: SDC's 2020 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 148383 times)

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2020 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2018, 09:22:28 PM »
All I can say is if they will just rip this ride out like it was nothing it probably wont be too long before they do the same with FM or FITH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2018, 06:59:52 AM »
All I can say is if they will just rip this ride out like it was nothing it probably wont be too long before they do the same with FM or FITH

Ultimately that is true...

If and when they make that decision, (if it hasnt already been made), they will bring in the dozers and trackhoes and demolish the area without a thought..

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #92 on: December 12, 2018, 08:19:42 AM »
^Which begs the question, when does it cross the line for a place like SDC to change and rip out so much that it loses what makes the park special with its fans or the general public? I do get the fact everything has an expiration date and operational/maintenance costs can get to the point its impractical to keep it going but it still seems to be a valid question that I'm sure the public and even the PTB probably ask themselves.

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 12, 2018, 10:16:00 AM »
I feel like SDC knows that FITH and FM are their gems. They know that there would be distraught throughout the GP if they just randomly rip out FITH and FM. I'm on the line of that they're going to announce that they're completely refurbishing both FM and FITH in 2019/2020, except one at a time, because they're already building a new attraction.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2018, 11:23:30 AM »
Appreciate the photos from everyone.

I can almost guarantee they won't re-use the name. If they are spending this much, they want to be sure and market it as a new ride, not a "refurbishment". It's all about marketing.

absolutely... it wont be
Lost river,
or Owens ride.

Be lucky if the name has any reference to the Ozark Heritage at all....

example-
time traveler
firemans landin
river blast-  (well maybe a little)

River Blast actually has a ton of Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn theming. Isn't the full name actually Tom and Hucks River Blast?

Fireman's Landing has a lot of rides packed in, which makes it feel a little carnival-ish, but there's also tons of detail and theming.

Time Traveler apparently ran over budget, so the station exterior and bottom floor are a bit disappointing, but the upper levels and the trains are very cool. It also has a rich backstory and lots of detail for those who care to pay attention. The name itself is pretty generic.

So all in all, SDC has a good track record and deserves all the benefit of the doubt as usual. We always wring our hands about the theme being hampered, but they always deliver a good product. Even if the name is generic, I am expecting it to look really nice and have a fun back=story theme that us fans can appreciate.

Lost River wasn't exactly themed that much anyway. Might have been some stuff hanging in the queue line that I have forgotten, but I don't remember anything that stood out. The theme was just a river that sucks into a cave. If they have some kind of cave theme or element with the new ride, it will be a nice homage/continuation of the theme.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 12, 2018, 11:37:02 AM »
Well with this transformation of the area being underway lets speculate further on how this will be done and laid out. I know its being mentioned to likely have similarities to Infinity Falls. I do hope the legacy of Lost River will be kept and this is more of a "re-imagining" of it. Keep the name and theme but expand on theming the heck out of it. Make the layout larger and keep elements such as the interior "cave" finale and the big first drop off the lift. Maybe shrink the lake size and add a bit of the layout out there too or place the station on the north side of Firemans Landing where Splash Harbor used to be.

Again I was really surprised this happened, I had always expected FITH, AP, or particularly FM to go first. And fair warning with the loss of this (and Waterboggen a few years ago) expect the summer ride lines for American Plunge and River Blast to be atrocious in 2019. lol

Also here is a perspective of the before and after:

I hold out no hopes for theming at all. The last couple of  projects should put that to rest fast. If it comes to dollars or immersive theming the dollars win every time. If it does happen its just a bonus. But I expect a generic ride experience.

Yep, Time Traveler should have had:

A) first drop into a rock facade cave

B) show building at first launch.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 12, 2018, 02:06:26 PM »
Appreciate the photos from everyone.

I can almost guarantee they won't re-use the name. If they are spending this much, they want to be sure and market it as a new ride, not a "refurbishment". It's all about marketing.

absolutely... it wont be
Lost river,
or Owens ride.

Be lucky if the name has any reference to the Ozark Heritage at all....

example-
time traveler
firemans landin
river blast-  (well maybe a little)

River Blast actually has a ton of Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn theming. Isn't the full name actually Tom and Hucks River Blast?

Fireman's Landing has a lot of rides packed in, which makes it feel a little carnival-ish, but there's also tons of detail and theming.

Time Traveler apparently ran over budget, so the station exterior and bottom floor are a bit disappointing, but the upper levels and the trains are very cool. It also has a rich backstory and lots of detail for those who care to pay attention. The name itself is pretty generic.

So all in all, SDC has a good track record and deserves all the benefit of the doubt as usual. We always wring our hands about the theme being hampered, but they always deliver a good product. Even if the name is generic, I am expecting it to look really nice and have a fun back=story theme that us fans can appreciate.

Lost River wasn't exactly themed that much anyway. Might have been some stuff hanging in the queue line that I have forgotten, but I don't remember anything that stood out. The theme was just a river that sucks into a cave. If they have some kind of cave theme or element with the new ride, it will be a nice homage/continuation of the theme.

Shave, As for TT. I bet 1 in 1000 riders actually know that there is a backstory involved. I know they produced a little video during the announcement. But, to me theming involves more than hanging some props in a Queu line and calling it theming. I am talking FM, FITh hole totally immersive theming. Like a Disney or Universal. With what Herschend is doing now I do not call that theming. Going back to OR. Throw a few clocks in the line and play a cowboy sound clip and call it good. I asked my kids about the theme and they had no clue. Just that it was a great roller coaster. I feel we are headed to Dollywood land bit by bit.  I understand what they are doing but sad to see the immersive theming go. I will just enjoy it for what it is.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #97 on: December 12, 2018, 04:10:12 PM »
LR was originally themed to Poncé de Leon's search for the Fountain of Youth, though nearly no one would have known that with the few photos or news articles hanging in frames in the queue.  The Lost River, had he found it, would have led to that final room which was begging for a scene of some sort about the Fountain of Youth.

All of the theming was thrown to the wayside before the ride even ripened.  Water cannons were added for some added revenue, and some never-explained heartbeat was added until Lost River became a River with an entirely Lost Theme of the Ozarks.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 12, 2018, 05:32:37 PM »
Now that I think about it, I never did really get what the heartbeat sound or whatever that sound was supposed to be that played inside the building.  I would still have preferred they kept that ride.

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2018, 08:14:14 AM »
The heartbeat was leftover from Rube Dugans. To my knowledge, it was supposed to be the "oxygen" pump for the submarine. The same is used at the Flooded mine.
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2018, 09:15:05 AM »
The heartbeat was leftover from Rube Dugans. To my knowledge, it was supposed to be the "oxygen" pump for the submarine. The same is used at the Flooded mine.

LOL>   Thats the answer to that concern.,.!!   LOL

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2018, 06:12:01 PM »

Wow I never made the connection between the LR heartbeat sound and the FM sound.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2018, 11:05:04 PM »
I tried to take some pictures from the back side of the lake while on the train. I didn’t think about taking pictures soon enough to get any from the train by the Barn Swing.

The first and second pictures are facing the Rib House and you can see the back of the wall they haven’t removed (at least I think that’s what that is).  The third and fourth pictures are pretty much the same and face where the entrance used to be. The third and fourth pictures (along with the fifth) show how the lake is pretty much empty now.

I might try to get some better pictures tomorrow from the other side because these don’t help see very much. Mostly it is just a large dirt area right now.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 11:12:15 PM by Tmboote »

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #103 on: December 23, 2018, 02:00:57 AM »
Interesting views. Thanks for taking pics. And yeah it does kinda make me wonder if the lake will even survive this project.

I should be up there with my camera on the 27th granted I can get away from work.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 23, 2018, 04:08:13 AM »
Interesting views. Thanks for taking pics. And yeah it does kinda make me wonder if the lake will even survive this project.

I should be up there with my camera on the 27th granted I can get away from work.

No way the Lake of old survives.. 

I expect to see an all new "concrete " pond,

I am guessing it will be in the same area, back up to FL area and it will be new and clean and purty!