Author Topic: SDC's 2020 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 147725 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
SDC's 2020 Project(s) and Park Developments
« on: September 06, 2017, 02:10:03 PM »
This is your official thread to post updates and speculations dealing the 2020 operating season for Silver Dollar City properties in Branson, MO.

Remember to list credits if you post photos that come from a different site and/or are not your own.

Thanks and happy speculating.
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2020 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 10:43:35 AM »
My desired list of rides they can chose from ::)

A non inverting hyper, All one has to do is look at the Tip 10
Steel Coaster Golden Tickets to see why this omission needs fixed muy pronto.

A noninverting woodie, think Balder Dash, Wooden Warrrior or the new one at Busch Gardens. Another staple that's missing from the park.

Family invert with plenty of caves and such.

A taller shot tower, Man did they miss their opportunity to do what Hershey did with different sized shot towers at Fireman's Landing.

Drop track coaster(perfect for FITH 2.0)

Redone American Plunge, multiple drops including a backwards one(See Chiapas at Phantasialand)

Enclosed/covered flats

More non kiddie flats

Enclosed  coaster  with lots of visuals(can be either a wild mouse or other small footprint steel coaster)

Enclosed shooter ride(think Toy Story Midway Mania, Justice League)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 08:40:26 PM »
As long as the ride cannot be seen from other parts of the park or outside the park then I'm fine with any of those except the woodie.  Personal preference there. 
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 06:57:56 AM »
As long as the ride cannot be seen from other parts of the park or outside the park then I'm fine with any of those except the woodie.  Personal preference there.

how do you build a Hyper without it possibly being seen from another part of the park. You'd want at least a 300ft. drop.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 09:52:36 AM »

They've already got a number of rides you can see from outside of the park.  If you're coming from Branson West then Wildfire and Outlaw Run are easy to see, just because of the height.  You can see them and Powder Keg easily from the parking lots and Indian Point Road as well.  Unfortunately, anything with any sort of height is going to be seen outside of the park and provide a view outside as well.  That's the nature of the beast.

You can also see outside the park quite clearly on the train as it's approaching it's back loop, looking down onto Table Rock and some of the resorts and apartments that are down there.  there are numerous other areas you can see outside as well if you pay a little attention.  As an example, the Dollar General up the road is quite easy to spot in at least 5 places within the park that I'm aware of, especially when it's dark.

I agree that it would a nice thing to have the berm idea like Disney cutting it off from the outside world, but it's not practical.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 12:57:17 PM »
I think you know what I meant and while yes you can see things if you go looking for them right now, it is not a blatant scream of "LOOK AT ME" like what a sky screamer or a hyper coaster would be.

Or were you just trying to be argumentative?
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 09:21:00 PM »
I agree that I like it better when they have their own little neck of the woods to play in and aren't pushed next to the pathways like a typical amusement park. It's becoming more and more of a moot point though with all the rides that are being packed in. The whole backside of the park is pretty much that way now. DW did an OK job of combining up-close rides and ambiance with the timber canyon area though. It just takes a lot of well-planned theming.

As far as wishes for 2020 go though, I'd love a GCII in the vein of InvadR or Mystic Timbers or Thunderhead. Just another classic, widely-appealing coaster that doesn't try to be anything it doesn't need to be.

Honestly I wouldn't expect that much though. Maybe we'll get a drop tower like DW's? Or if the rumors are to be believed, they'll gut/replace/renovate one of the classic rides that needs extensive work to keep going. That's been rumored for as long as this site has been around though and they haven't done it yet, but I guess we'll see.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 09:37:15 PM »
I agree that I like it better when they have their own little neck of the woods to play in and aren't pushed next to the pathways like a typical amusement park. It's becoming more and more of a moot point though with all the rides that are being packed in. The whole backside of the park is pretty much that way now. DW did an OK job of combining up-close rides and ambiance with the timber canyon area though. It just takes a lot of well-planned theming.

As far as wishes for 2020 go though, I'd love a GCII in the vein of InvadR or Mystic Timbers or Thunderhead. Just another classic, widely-appealing coaster that doesn't try to be anything it doesn't need to be.

Honestly I wouldn't expect that much though. Maybe we'll get a drop tower like DW's? Or if the rumors are to be believed, they'll gut/replace/renovate one of the classic rides that needs extensive work to keep going. That's been rumored for as long as this site has been around though and they haven't done it yet, but I guess we'll see.

My theory of twos says a Funtime time is coming, I'd like a Star Flyer. Our Shot/drop tower is in Fireman's Landing notater how short it is.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 11:10:59 PM »
Well I hope you're wrong because I don't want an eyesore at the park
SWOOSH

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 12:42:29 AM »
While probably unlikely since it would offer a similar ride experience to Time Traveler minus the spinning, SDC really has an opportunity here to capitalize on their relationship with Mack by reviving the Mystery Mine concept that was once talked about years ago before the recession killed it. I really think they could pull off a superior version using their Big Dipper trains. After finally making a trip over to Dollywood and experiencing it earlier this year, I really think SDC needs this. I really loved the combined coaster and dark ride elements it offered despite how it beats you up which goes back to how I think a Mack design would be superior as it would not have that brutal experience with they way their trains are designed. I have to admit when that vertical drop was placed on Time Traveler I was convinced that's what they had went with at the time, despite all the rumors. lol
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 12:48:05 AM by sdcfan88 »

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 09:15:44 AM »
Personally I think a much larger drop tower or a star flyer would be a great addition.  I'd also love to see them turn the old Waterboggan tower into an observation tower of some sort, to let people up to enjoy the view of the Ozarks.  I certainly wouldn't consider a ride like that an eyesore, but more of a landmark.

Or am I alone in getting excited when I spot something from a theme/ amusement park before I get there?  :-)

(Swoosh- no, I wasn't trying to be argumentative any more than chittlins was.  Just making a point that your preference already really doesn't really exist)

While probably unlikely since it would offer a similar ride experience to Time Traveler minus the spinning, SDC really has an opportunity here to capitalize on their relationship with Mack by reviving the Mystery Mine concept that was once talked about years ago before the recession killed it. I really think they could pull off a superior version using their Big Dipper trains.

My biggest problem with Mystery Mine was how rough the first half of it was.  It was an incredible ride- especially the theming around it.  But I was focused so much on not getting slammed around and hurt that I felt like I missed a bunch of it. The second half was much better.  The big dipper trains certainly look like they would fix that issue.  For those that haven't seen them, you can see them at: https://mack-rides.com/products/rollercoaster/bigdipper/

To do Mystery Mine with that kind of train would be awesome!  it's to bad that they couldn't replace the trains on Mystery Mine itself with something like that.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 05:05:53 PM »
Or am I alone in getting excited when I spot something from a theme/ amusement park before I get there?  :-)

There in lies my issue.  This is not Six Flags or even an amusement park.  This is a theme park who's mystique is the rides being hidden from the main midway.  Why would we want the park to be like any other park?
SWOOSH

SDC-BMW

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 07:45:55 PM »

There in lies my issue.  This is not Six Flags or even an amusement park.  This is a theme park who's mystique is the rides being hidden from the main midway.  Why would we want the park to be like any other park?

I wish this board had a "like" button. ^^^He gets it.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 08:57:29 PM »

I certainly understand that.  Absolutely.  But even Walt understood what an attraction it can be to see something from outside of the park.  He called it the "weenie"- something to draw people's attention in and increase the desire to go.  it's why you can see the landmarks at all of the Walt Disney Parks from a long ways outside of the parks.  It's why the Matterhorn sticks up as a landmark at Disneyland.  It's why all of the Disney parks have sometime that draws you in from outside.

So I have no problem with things inside the park being seen from the outside of the park.  But once inside, it's another story. That's when I'd like to see as little of the outside world as possible.  I don't mind going up and getting a great look over the park- and if it's like SDC, you can do it where it can get incredible views around the park without showing the "outside" world thanks to the hills.

It doesn't have to be either/ or, it can be both.  :-)

Which is why I don't mind if SDC puts up some things to help draw in attention from people driving by, and drawing their interest to the park.  But it doesn't have to ruin my immersion in the atmosphere once I'm there.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 07:30:26 AM »
Seeing the big rides from the road/hiway is basic marketing 101... "impulse buying"

People drive by,
kids or adults see the coasters, "that looks cool, lets check it out".! 
THey go in check out the park and rides, SDC generates 3-500 bucks or more per family...

Thats impulse buying...  You have to properly market your product, to sell your product ;D