Author Topic: SDC's 2019 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 133618 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2019 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #316 on: April 01, 2019, 09:08:25 PM »
Yeah that's kind of what I expected with the new EH buildings when I saw them. Not the same charm, but this is what you need to support major acts. I'm excited to see more big-name performers at SDC.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 02, 2019, 06:32:22 AM »
Glad to see there were not done at EH yet..  It just looked "unfinished".   Speakers looked out of place, The whole stage just wasnt right, yet..

Starting to look like a real stage and supporting area now..

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #318 on: April 02, 2019, 02:05:02 PM »
This is funny to me....that smell takes me back to my short career working on a road crew in the middle of no where KS....laying down asphalt....which is what we called it.

I didn't like that summer.  :-\

it's not asphalt.  Technically it's a seal coat, but the people in the park all called it slurry when they issued their directives to us to prepare for when it was applied. It's a sealer/ coating that is sprayed and spread over the actual pavement- whether asphalt, concrete, whatever.  If you look carefully you can often times see where it splashes a bit on the sides of buildings, planters, or large objects that can't be easily moved out of the way.  It's poured/ sprayed and spread on the surfaces, and everything possible has to be moved out of the way.  But outside of moving benches and objects and blowing/ power washing the ground, there's nothing done to the pavement like you would if it was an actual asphalt coating.

Sometimes you could even see the leaves that had blown down right before they spread it get caught and become part of the ground coating.

This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 02, 2019, 02:08:07 PM »
Think like this, instead of asphalt  :)

This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 02, 2019, 04:24:24 PM »
The 10 years I've been there, never heard the term slurry. I've worked with it, and it's always been called cosmicoat, asphault sealer. What I find puzzling, 1, they didn't have these type of streets in the 1880's. They had dirt, or gravel. 2, The park first opened as such, and later added wood chips to the pathways. I've never understood the passion for something stinky that sticks to your shoes when it's hot, and is BAD for the environment. Off that box...
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #321 on: April 02, 2019, 07:10:58 PM »
I can almost guarantee that there were some SDC regulars back in the 70's who bemoned the new asphalt paths for not having the same character and smell as the old wood chip paths, lol.  ;D

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 02, 2019, 09:02:29 PM »
The 10 years I've been there, never heard the term slurry. I've worked with it, and it's always been called cosmicoat, asphault sealer.

Cosmicoat!!  That's the other name I couldn't remember for the life of me.  Don't know why I couldn't remember that one.

I just remember the letter we got (I think from M&C?) giving us details on what needed to be done calling it slurry, and it stuck with me because it was such an odd, funny sounding name, and I had to look it up as soon as I got home that day because I'd never heard of it.  Actually wrote it on one of my training guides I carried at the time since I was brand new.  Maybe it was just in that one letter.  Thinking about it now, I wouldn't be surprised if it came from someone in attractions who didn't know the difference that may have gotten stuck on the name.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #323 on: April 02, 2019, 09:06:46 PM »
NEW FOR '19:  Cement!
This is only a conversation that true fans could have.

Could it be that cement is easier to control as far as flatness is concerned and the other stuff can tend to ripple, bulge, and buckle?  I don't think the cement is actually cheaper, but could it be safer than an uneven surface?  Just thinkin' out loud.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 09:08:24 PM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 02, 2019, 09:46:48 PM »
Cement doesn't melt in the heat, so that could be a reason to put it in. I remember several years ago being at the park on a super hot day and my shoes nearly got stuck in the softening asphalt.... Very weird.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 03, 2019, 12:33:02 AM »
Cement doesn't melt in the heat, so that could be a reason to put it in. I remember several years ago being at the park on a super hot day and my shoes nearly got stuck in the softening asphalt.... Very weird.

Oh, great. Now we have to debate cement versus concrete!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 03, 2019, 07:11:07 AM »
The 10 years I've been there, never heard the term slurry. I've worked with it, and it's always been called cosmicoat, asphault sealer. What I find puzzling, 1, they didn't have these type of streets in the 1880's. They had dirt, or gravel. 2, The park first opened as such, and later added wood chips to the pathways. I've never understood the passion for something stinky that sticks to your shoes when it's hot, and is BAD for the environment. Off that box...

Sealer is the most common name for sure.. 
concrete isnt really any easier to lay down, but once it is down you are done with it.  no maint.
no "sealer" every couple of years,
you can drive on concrete with trucks and tractors, leaves no tread marks or scuffs..
Of course they could put the "sealer" on top of concrete later..
IF they are making the switch to concrete, I wish they would color it, and "stamp" it to look like bricks or native stone. would fit in better and "WE" would like it better....   LOL

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 03, 2019, 11:47:26 AM »

Oh, great. Now we have to debate cement versus concrete!

Whoops. Just googled it. Didn't realize that cement is an ingredient in concrete rather than something separate... I've always kinda used the words interchangeably.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #328 on: April 03, 2019, 12:45:39 PM »
Maybe they didn’t put the “sealer” on the new concrete by the entrance because they’re planning on redoing the entrance as was once rumored and they just didn’t want to put the extra work in.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #329 on: April 03, 2019, 04:20:30 PM »
Maybe they didn’t put the “sealer” on the new concrete by the entrance because they’re planning on redoing the entrance as was once rumored and they just didn’t want to put the extra work in.

That’s been put on a permanent back burner.  There are some more pressing things they need to take care of in the park
SWOOSH