Author Topic: SDC's 2019 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 133653 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2019 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #240 on: January 24, 2019, 08:24:13 AM »
The new tree looks awesome. I didn't expect a new one for another couple years with everything else that is going on, so this is a nice surprise. This is really the best "off-year" ever!

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 24, 2019, 08:31:19 AM »
Looks like they are bringing back the angels to the tree, just in a different incarnation (remember the original tree with the cutouts for the angels?). I'm assuming that is the same star on top. I really hope they keep Carol of the Bells by David Foster; they have played that song since the original tree was debuted. I wouldn't mind some added songs for the new tree, that I'm sure is a given, but they should at least keep that rendition of Carol of the Bells because it is so many peoples favorite and it has become synonymous with Christmas at SDC.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 24, 2019, 08:49:36 AM »
I agree wholeheartedly on the Carol of the Bells. Whenever I hear that version of the song, I think of SDC! I also really like the Polar Express Suite. I hope they keep it, too!

I'm excited to see the new tree!

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 24, 2019, 09:17:49 AM »
Looks like they are bringing back the angels to the tree, just in a different incarnation (remember the original tree with the cutouts for the angels?). I'm assuming that is the same star on top. I really hope they keep Carol of the Bells by David Foster; they have played that song since the original tree was debuted. I wouldn't mind some added songs for the new tree, that I'm sure is a given, but they should at least keep that rendition of Carol of the Bells because it is so many peoples favorite and it has become synonymous with Christmas at SDC.

I don’t think there will be physical angels on the tree like the old ones. I assume that it’s like the one at Dollywood and it’s basically a giant LED screen on the tree.

Obviousdramatic

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 24, 2019, 09:44:02 AM »
It's nice they are updating the tree and the square. Its gong to look amazing! But will this bring in even more guests to an already packed Christmas festival? I seriously avoid SDC during this festival because of the overcrowding alone.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 24, 2019, 09:55:27 AM »
The new tree looks awesome. I didn't expect a new one for another couple years with everything else that is going on, so this is a nice surprise. This is really the best "off-year" ever!

It will be a nice "off-year".   
As i said before I am sure this is to make sure the SP sales and general admission is hurt during 2019.

Those PTB guys, are pretty clever.! :o :o

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #246 on: January 24, 2019, 12:22:23 PM »
New tree.  Good choice.  Really nice after considering how much talk there was on these forums about how outdated the old tree was, not working right sometimes, etc.  I don't believe for a second that these forums contributed to the decision on a new tree, but I'm sure that it's one area that they use to scope out what needs to be done.

I think it's going to make a great addition.  Wonder how many overall lights they are adding with it.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #247 on: January 24, 2019, 01:20:57 PM »
Probably one of the worst kept secrets.  Glad it’s finally official.
I hope they go ahead and add the RGB LED lights on the surrounding  trees like they were talking about doing.  The trees they use them on look amazing at Winterfest at WOF - they can change colors do patterns.  That would really take the square to the next level
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 09:48:37 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #248 on: January 24, 2019, 03:02:36 PM »
Yeah an update I am okay with. It was needed.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 25, 2019, 03:03:05 PM »
I'm excited for the new tree. The concept art looks fantastic and it was overdue. However, I am a little worried about how they are going to make this work. Overcrowding is already an issue on the square during OTC, and a taller tree means a wider base for the tree. This will limit room on the square even more. I'm wondering if we will see some reconfiguring of the paths around the square this offseason or at some point during the 2019 season.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #250 on: January 25, 2019, 03:07:15 PM »
^nah, the base may be wider but it won't be so huge that it expands out of the area it is in. It's true that they are starting to need more space on the square anyway though... could take out a few of those now empty planters at some point.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 25, 2019, 03:11:18 PM »
Even if the argument is the base may not be wider, the new LED tree will draw more visitors to the square similar to how Christmas in Midtown drew more people to Midtown. Overcrowding is going to continue to be a problem on the square until they reconfigure some things.

I agree, the planters may be the first to go.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 25, 2019, 04:15:50 PM »
There is no doubt it will fit right where the old one was.

It could be easily 10 ft bigger diameter on the bottom and still fit there, without removing planters.

I dont see them removing the planters..

Now as far as ALL the people jammed in the square at one time,? Well,  thats another situation ;D

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 25, 2019, 07:24:12 PM »
Yeah, that's definitely one thing where Dollywood has the space for their Christmas Tree crowds - the Plaza at Wilderness Pass was perfect for their big tree show. I watched a video of the opening night of Glacier Ridge, and my goodness, you can fit a LOT of people into that space. I mean, sure, there aren't any trees in that area, which definitely helps, but when you want to have a showpiece like that that will draw a huge crowd, having a nice open space is the ticket. Unless SDC builds an open plaza somewhere, their only choice for keeping the tree where it is is to start taking out planters/trees/etc. Main Street just really isn't a great spot for crowds like that.

Shoot, if the teacup ride wasn't abutting the little plaza/gazebo area in Grand Exposition, that'd be an excellent candidate for a new, open space for the tree. And they would be able to do what DW did and have a really cool giant tree made of pumpkins for LumiNights.

Okay, I'm done rambling. It's just that now that I've actually been to DW, I can't stop making comparisons and trying to see how we can improve SDC based on DW and vice versa.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #254 on: January 25, 2019, 08:28:03 PM »
The main square at SDC actually has more space than Glacier Ridge, but it's full of trees and flower beds so the usable space is smaller. One of these days they will decide to really open it up and you might be surprised at how big it is. It used to be the main parking lot.

Thing is, other than Christmas, there's not a lot of reason to completely open it up a lot. You still have the issue of the massive pinch point that is HH. In fact, opening the area up too much could cause problems with crowd control/stampede issues. There's probably a method to the madness with the split paths in the front of mains square.