Author Topic: SDC's 2019 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 133591 times)

sprtbuf

• View Profile
Re: SDC's 2019 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #195 on: November 08, 2018, 08:06:55 AM »
Here's a map.  You can see the Lost River at the top center, and the body of water next to it is Lake Silver.  Riverfront is the walkway alongside both, on the south end of them.  That is the one area that is agreed is going to undergo a major change.
The BBQ place is at the south corner of Lost River.  Dugan's Trading post is the one little complex of buildings by the "bridge" across the water (actually Lost River's queue).  Those are also strong contendors.
The three buildings on the other side of that walkway are the theaters that are being talked about.
Hope that helps.

Thank you very much

sprtbuf

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 08, 2018, 08:07:31 AM »
For those of us who visit some but not nearly enough to visually know the areas being discussed, can a map be posted marking the areas going away and/or being moved?   Thx

Red X’s are things going away.  Yellow star is rumored location of new entrance to new river ride.  Purple lines are rumored new path of the walkway.

Thank you very much

CapnMatter

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 11, 2018, 11:19:12 AM »
I'm sure this has been said by someone before, but maybe #504 is a sign they are gonna expand the train in the next couple years? Expand it in a way that they can run 3 trains at once, with one back up engine. I hope they keep the train robbery show, if they do change it up!

Also on the topic of the train ride, couldn't they rebuild the Davenport with a larger boiler to fix the traction and lack of steam problems they had with it back when it was running? If they need another train, I'd love to see them run a US built loco, and they do have the Davenport.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #198 on: November 11, 2018, 12:37:58 PM »
I'm sure this has been said by someone before, but maybe #504 is a sign they are gonna expand the train in the next couple years? Expand it in a way that they can run 3 trains at once, with one back up engine. I hope they keep the train robbery show, if they do change it up!

Also on the topic of the train ride, couldn't they rebuild the Davenport with a larger boiler to fix the traction and lack of steam problems they had with it back when it was running? If they need another train, I'd love to see them run a US built loco, and they do have the Davenport.

Another "new" engine will be coming online next season.  They won't run another Davenport on the line.  These bigger boys don't have any problem making the loop -- and no I don't ever see them expanding the current loop.
SWOOSH

CapnMatter

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 11, 2018, 01:06:51 PM »
Another "new" engine will be coming online next season.  They won't run another Davenport on the line.  These bigger boys don't have any problem making the loop -- and no I don't ever see them expanding the current loop.
I forgot about the other new engine! 5 running engines when they can only run two at a time seems a bit odd. The other new engine isn't documented on www.steamlocomotive.com

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #200 on: November 11, 2018, 03:22:36 PM »
Nice!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 11, 2018, 04:45:56 PM »

Yea, I dont see an expanded train route...  the current route is really pretty long, tours most of the city,  lots of cruising in the woods,  room for a train robbery,  cruise back into town behind the lake,  which of course will look all new and different in 2020. 

No the current route will suffice for many years..

CapnMatter

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 11, 2018, 06:48:03 PM »
The only issue I can think of with the current route is that they're limited to 2 trains at a time with the current route, and even then they have to stop when they're doing the Christmas show. If they're gonna have 5 trains in running order, why not expand it into the woods just enough that they could run 3 trains?

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 11, 2018, 06:55:39 PM »

Parking lot shuttle.  ;D

CapnMatter

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 11, 2018, 07:09:40 PM »
I really don't see them making a second train ride  ::)

Even though that'd be pretty cool...

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #205 on: November 12, 2018, 07:02:03 AM »
The only issue I can think of with the current route is that they're limited to 2 trains at a time with the current route, and even then they have to stop when they're doing the Christmas show. If they're gonna have 5 trains in running order, why not expand it into the woods just enough that they could run 3 trains?

Why not?  ROI.  Return on investment.  They won't gain anything by spending the money to expand the line.  And to run extra engines/ trains increases the operations costs a lot (fuel, staffing, upkeep, etc.) without any increase in revenue.  As much of a fan of the train as I am, it's not a ride that will attract more people to the park or pay at the gates.

The only time it's busy enough to need to run 2 trains is during Christmas. Technically there are a few days during summer where they, if they wanted, could maybe justify running 2, but they won't do it because of those increased costs, and the lines even then aren't that huge.  There's no reason to run 3, expanded line or not, other than the coolness factor, which in this case isn't a good reason.  :-)

Oh, the Davenport will likely never run again.  While it looks pretty, it's not in running condition.  And if it was running, it could only manage to pull one of the new cars, as heavy as they are.  Not an ideal situation.  I like that they have it out where people can see it again, but that's about as good as she's going to get now.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #206 on: November 12, 2018, 01:29:15 PM »
I think the train is still the star of the park. Lines get ridiculous for it at various times of the year, and I know it sucks for kids when they can't get a ride in due to the huge line. Even just adding another car would be a huge improvement. But I digress, I don't see anything happening with it anytime in the forseeable future now that they have the new engines in place.

In actual 2019/2020 "news", Brad didn't give any real clues about the potential Lost River project at Coaster Christmas, but he did say that 2020 is park's 60th anniversary and that there will be a number of announcements throughout 2019 to get people hyped. He said there will be something to look forward to... There wasn't a Q/A session this time, so no one asked about it.

There are indeed no obvious signs of construction/demolition in the area yet. I didn't ride the trams, so I don't know if they are still mentioning Lost River or not.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 09, 2018, 04:07:38 PM »
New stage and bigger backstage coming in 2019 to Echo Hollow.  Photos at the late news
SWOOSH

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #208 on: December 09, 2018, 09:44:32 PM »
New stage and bigger backstage coming in 2019 to Echo Hollow.  Photos at the late news

So is the plan to relocate EH that was once discussed not happening anytime soon?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 09, 2018, 10:31:29 PM »
https://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2018/12/echo-hollow-sdc.html

So it appears they enlarging the backstage area which will allow for bigger and better green rooms.  This should definitely help when trying to attract bigger name acts to perform at Echo Hollow in the future.
SWOOSH