Author Topic: SDC's 2019 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 133600 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2019 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #180 on: November 05, 2018, 07:57:25 PM »
Sounds crazy. The inclination is that Dockside theatre will be taken out. Perhaps it will just be repurposed... I get that they would want to open up all that space, since there is a lot of room behind it, but that's a good theater and shop building.

I assume they have some good plans though. Just have to wait and see how it all shakes out.

As for this weekend, they just announced on FB that since the window of TT being open is going to be short, they aren't going to do ERT and will just give everyone trailblazers.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #181 on: November 05, 2018, 08:03:36 PM »
Well since you went ahead and said it - Dockside will be torn down.  New Ribhouse is supposed to go there
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #182 on: November 05, 2018, 08:25:33 PM »
Well, we'll see what happens, I'm just saying that's the inclination I would get from that news. I wouldn't put too much stock in any rumors just yet. All we know is that they are moving everybody around. I feel like that's such a big asset to write off unless they are planning on adding another theater in the process somehow. It also seems like they could just re-purpose the building instead of doing a full tear down an new build.

Who knows though, just like with the area around TT I was surprised at how much they rebuilt for apparently so little gain. It's hard to say what the driving forces are sometimes. Maybe the buildings aren't to code or have other problems.

Seeing what happens over the winter will be fun. Lot of questions to answer here. Almost more of a mystery than Time Traveler.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #183 on: November 05, 2018, 08:31:21 PM »
Other than the tram announcements about LR closing I am kinda surprised how little the park or the various theme park enthusiast pages have talked about it publicly. I definitely don't know how to feel about such a large older section of the park about to meet its end. I'm curious to know how regulars and the GP will feel about this once it becomes more obvious. That section of the park was very popular from my observations.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 05, 2018, 09:09:39 PM »
They’ll care about as much as they do now about the old stuff that is gone from the TT area.  Let’s be honest Riverfront as is is a horrible use of space.  Ribhouse’s dining area is not ADA compliant and let’s not even pretend that Dockside is even close to being a great performance venue. 

Rumors are we could be down 3 theaters in the near future.  I hope they have plans to build new ones - but then again look at how often the big ones sit unused during the season. 
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 05, 2018, 09:19:46 PM »
Well, we'll see what happens, I'm just saying that's the inclination I would get from that news. I wouldn't put too much stock in any rumors just yet. All we know is that they are moving everybody around. I feel like that's such a big asset to write off unless they are planning on adding another theater in the process somehow. It also seems like they could just re-purpose the building instead of doing a full tear down an new build.

Who knows though, just like with the area around TT I was surprised at how much they rebuilt for apparently so little gain. It's hard to say what the driving forces are sometimes. Maybe the buildings aren't to code or have other problems.

Seeing what happens over the winter will be fun. Lot of questions to answer here. Almost more of a mystery than Time Traveler.

Going off this post (and your post over at Toilet Paper Residue)...
The redirection of the road near TT is setting up long term plans.  Things are not done being changed in that area.  You mentioned your curiosity on why such drastic changes for “little gain” - the issue here is you are only judging by what you can see.  The park is slowly building (and rebuilding) their infrastructure.  The older structures featured utilities that were in need of expensive upgrades.  While sentimental attachment to the old is understandable, it’s not cost effective in the long run.  These new structures are better equipped to handle the needs of today and I predict that all future ride additions will come with a new “land” and not just the ride as the entire park is upgraded systematically.  This really started with the RiverBlast area and has continued ever since. 
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 06, 2018, 06:49:36 AM »

The redirection of the road near TT is setting up long term plans.  Things are not done being changed in that area.  You mentioned your curiosity on why such drastic changes for “little gain” - the issue here is you are only judging by what you can see.  The park is slowly building (and rebuilding) their infrastructure.  The older structures featured utilities that were in need of expensive upgrades.  While sentimental attachment to the old is understandable, it’s not cost effective in the long run.  These new structures are better equipped to handle the needs of today and I predict that all future ride additions will come with a new “land” and not just the ride as the entire park is upgraded systematically.  This really started with the RiverBlast area and has continued ever since.

And you can tell this is true...  step back and look at River blast, the walkway down from their, the pIzza Joint, Walway tto the swings, the new restroom....  then look down toward Ribhouse,  that whole "old" area is screaming for redo..

Stand by, Shave is right about this... may not happen in 2020,  but it will be new from river blast to FL.. first lakside, then a redo on the theatre and shops side..

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #187 on: November 06, 2018, 08:32:28 AM »

Oh I get it. I've speculated before about them having very long term plans to basically rebuild the park just from an engineering and logistics standpoint. I'm just saying we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves with expectations just yet. Replacing Lost River is already an ambitious project. The other things in the area are probably also in a longer term plan, but I'm going to wait and see what gets closed off next year before I get too dismayed about things being torn down. Sometimes things get scaled back, and sometimes we overestimate the extent of things based on rumors anyway.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 06, 2018, 01:03:18 PM »
Noticed that they upped the age for Senior passes to 65 from 62.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #189 on: November 06, 2018, 01:31:02 PM »
If anyone is interested, the video that I shot on Saturday when I was there showing some of the rumored areas of construction is posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiypyYVLwBc

Seems like the rumors are really all over the place, and about the only thing that seems to be agreed on is Lost River is gone, and probably the BBQ joint and Lake Silver is going to look quite a bit different.  Lots of variations on what else may or may not be changed, and I have some strong suspicions that some of those that people are confident of aren't going to pan out, and things that some think will change, won't, while others that may not be in the rumor mill now will change.

One thing I learned when I was there is that SDC is constantly refining, tinkering, and going over their plans.  There were several versions of Fireman's Landing's layout.  The area around Time Traveler was not the first plan (or the second, or the third...)  And while they may be talking about doing something now, that could easily change in a couple of weeks when they rethink it a bit more.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 06, 2018, 02:56:36 PM »
The thing about the Ozarks is that there really isn't a normal temperature, just an average of extremes they like to tout as normal 8) It could have just as easily been 75 this weekend.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 06, 2018, 05:11:54 PM »

Oh I get it. I've speculated before about them having very long term plans to basically rebuild the park just from an engineering and logistics standpoint. I'm just saying we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves with expectations just yet. Replacing Lost River is already an ambitious project. The other things in the area are probably also in a longer term plan, but I'm going to wait and see what gets closed off next year before I get too dismayed about things being torn down. Sometimes things get scaled back, and sometimes we overestimate the extent of things based on rumors anyway.

The difference this time is we have concrete confirmation from shops that they are not coming back or they are being moved for next season.  Ribhouse, Dockside Theater, White River, and Rube Dugans are all being torn down and that area will be rebuilt for 2019.  Toy Store, Magic Shop and Food Court sounds like they’ll survive for now but will probably be gone late 2019 and redone for 2020. 
SWOOSH

sprtbuf

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 07, 2018, 08:22:19 AM »
For those of us who visit some but not nearly enough to visually know the areas being discussed, can a map be posted marking the areas going away and/or being moved?   Thx

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #193 on: November 07, 2018, 08:43:40 AM »
Here's a map.  You can see the Lost River at the top center, and the body of water next to it is Lake Silver.  Riverfront is the walkway alongside both, on the south end of them.  That is the one area that is agreed is going to undergo a major change.
The BBQ place is at the south corner of Lost River.  Dugan's Trading post is the one little complex of buildings by the "bridge" across the water (actually Lost River's queue).  Those are also strong contendors.
The three buildings on the other side of that walkway are the theaters that are being talked about.
Hope that helps.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 07, 2018, 05:19:40 PM »
For those of us who visit some but not nearly enough to visually know the areas being discussed, can a map be posted marking the areas going away and/or being moved?   Thx

Red X’s are things going away.  Yellow star is rumored location of new entrance to new river ride.  Purple lines are rumored new path of the walkway. 
SWOOSH