Author Topic: SDC's 2019 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 133693 times)

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2019 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #150 on: October 28, 2018, 07:38:43 PM »
WOW, crazy.  We were there Saturday, the weather was great, the river was running but we did not ride it.  I guess we should have.

What always confused me is all year this year, it seemed they were only running 2 rafts at a time instead of 3.  They would always load the front 2 and send the 3rd out empty.  I never once saw the line going around thru the back main entrance, it always lined up way down the bridge and went in the front.  This seemed to increase the wait time quite a bit.  I never understood why.

I am thinking this is the first I have heard about an earthquake damaging it, or maybe I just forgot.

Citydweller84

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 28, 2018, 08:23:47 PM »
After seeing what the lines will be like next summer at AP with LROTO closed will surely motivate them to keep AP open for awhile just so the lines don't get too crazy at the new ride for 2020.  (I know- yes they will be long and don't call me "surely")  :)

Hoping they'll relocate the Rib House- that's one of our favorites

Totally agree with this. I love the Rib House and will definitely miss it if its gone for good.

I love Lost River too and am sad to see it going. Hoping its replacement honors it, and the Diving Bell (not that I was around for that, but I appreciate nods to the park's history).

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #152 on: October 28, 2018, 08:31:13 PM »
I'd love it if they surprised us with a Diving Bell attraction too. Wishful thinking tho.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #153 on: October 28, 2018, 08:49:14 PM »
lol, don't get your hopes up about the diving bell. It just wouldn't be that impressive in 2018, unless they really went out and did something disney-esque with a flying theatre or something.

I'm sure the ribhouse will be reborn just like the skillet were. Will be nice to see some more emphasis on BBQ again.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 28, 2018, 09:39:56 PM »
The last walk through this summer I noted riverfront areas, and these additions were created 79-87.  Property near the lake was not well used.  I do vote they keep a lake. I can see retooling this I just hope they do it right.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #155 on: October 28, 2018, 09:56:52 PM »
The real question is where will they put the retention pool for the ride because it has to be treated water so they won’t be able to just use the Lake like they did before.  Maybe on the other side of the tracks?
SWOOSH

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 28, 2018, 10:23:36 PM »
Any chance that they move the entrance/station over to the barn swing area?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 29, 2018, 06:20:26 AM »
Any chance that they move the entrance/station over to the barn swing area?

Highly doubtful due to the elevation change.  The popular rumor has been the new entrance will go where Ribhouse is currently - basically a straight shot down the hill from Tom Sawyer’s Landing
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 29, 2018, 07:37:41 AM »
The last walk through this summer I noted riverfront areas, and these additions were created 79-87.  Property near the lake was not well used.  I do vote they keep a lake. I can see retooling this I just hope they do it right.

I wouldnt be surprised to see a new lake,  cement pond sort of thing, could easily encompass the ride area,  I would expect it to butt right up to the new retaining wall at FL. That whole area would still be water related. 

That way the whole area would "flow" together from FL over to the RibHouse.....  (see what I did there......   "Flow",  water?  water flow?.LMAO!!! ).,  I need coffee.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #159 on: October 29, 2018, 08:55:06 AM »
So I guess the full rumors are out and flying.  lol  Here's what little bit I've heard from a few sources, and take all of it with a grain of salt because none of it is "official" in any way at all, just what I've gleaned and can easily be inaccurate.

What I've head is that are removing the Lost River and Rib House and using that area for an expansion that will likely include another rapids ride and BBQ place, but there's also a good chance it will include other things as well.

I haven't heard anything about Lake Silver at all, but with them needing some sort of retaining pond for the rapids, and with Fireman's Landing being designed the way it is water side I would be surprised if they don't have some sort of "lake" there in the future, just maybe not as big as it is now.

I haven't heard anything about theaters and stores on "landside" changing or having anything happen to them, and honestly doubt there are any plans for that.  I think all of the changes and expansions will end up being waterside of the riverfront area.  I don't see any reason for them to change any of the theaters or stores that are there now, except the rib house and maybe Rube Dugans, the other store that's water side next to the Lost River.  That will disappoint my daughter as she likes shopping for dresses there.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 30, 2018, 01:14:56 PM »
Isn't Lake Silver over a sinkhole or a spring?  I thought there was a conversation on here about that a few years ago.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 30, 2018, 02:11:38 PM »
I am pretty sure lake silver has a concrete bottom.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 30, 2018, 10:39:18 PM »
Yeah I’m pretty sure it’s a man made lake that was created as a water retention pool. 
SWOOSH

pintrader

« Reply #163 on: October 31, 2018, 08:30:07 AM »
I do know that in the mid 60's before anything was built in that area, the lake was there.  They had a mannequin in a boat fishing that the conductor on the train would shoot at (that's another story).   I don't remember exactly how big the lake was at that time.   It's possible they could have drained, enlarged, and even cemented the bottom. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 09:14:14 AM by Pintrader »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 31, 2018, 11:48:03 AM »
regardless what they do to the lake, remove it, replace it, rebuild it... It will look much better...  The lake has looked bad for a while now,  trash on the banks,  water looked bad..