Author Topic: SDC's 2019 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 133588 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDC's 2019 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2018, 01:31:41 PM »
The show replacing it sounds like a World Fest sampler platter show.  So think of the things they’ve had in the past at World Fest and cram it all into one show.

So it's going to be Christmas around the world or something like that replacing It's A Wonderful Life?

Yeah that’s the rumor I’ve heard but until it’s officially announced anything is possible
SWOOSH

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2018, 03:25:57 PM »
I'd rather see Miracle on 34th St. than Christmas Around the World.  At this point, it doesn't sound too exciting. If this really happens, I think guests that only have time to see one play will choose Dickens over Around the World which will make Dickens much more crowded.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2018, 05:53:34 PM »
I think it would be a step back - if anything I’d keep Wonderful Life.  Put the Around the World Show in Riverfront and then put a new Nativity Show is Dockside with animals (both WOF and SF have animals for their nativity shows)
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2018, 08:01:40 AM »
I think it would be a step back - if anything I’d keep Wonderful Life.  Put the Around the World Show in Riverfront and then put a new Nativity Show is Dockside with animals (both WOF and SF have animals for their nativity shows)
I agree SDC might consider the crowds at Christmas are not shrinking they are growing and Saturdays and other busy days are almost unbearable.  The closed water rides causes this crowd issue to be more obvious.  SDC needs to accommodate more people inside and maybe they would increase what would appeal to the older folks that may travel with family.  It would seem to me the shows are the ticket.  IAWL was or is a very well done show,  Personally, I think Miracle on 34th street taking place in 1930s new york is the furthest thing from SDC I can imagine.
 But then again I think the winds are changing as it is.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2018, 01:21:53 PM »
^lol, what about 1800's England for the dicken's show?  ::) Or the north pole Santa meet and greet? It's Christmas...

I assume they'll bring in another great Christmas production. They would be stupid not to keep a successful thing going. How many people see these shows each season? Most of them are completely filled up on the weekends. They are expensive to produce for sure, but the ROI has to be reasonable considering the kind of draw they bring to the park. WOF/SF aren't ever going to compete with SDC on these kinds of shows. All they have are the cheap karaoke shows.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2018, 02:07:49 PM »
Id settle for SDC adaption of Christmas Vacation. :) 

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2018, 09:32:43 PM »
WOF/SF aren't ever going to compete with SDC on these kinds of shows. All they have are the cheap karaoke shows.

Cheap when compared to a Broadway budget show, but far from being karaoke.  Perhaps you actually visit those events before being so negative? Just a thought.  Both are well done.  WOF is more of entertainment and experiences.  The lights actually could rival SDC in some areas (not Midtown obviously) and SF has a great ride lineup
available. 
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2018, 10:08:24 PM »
Oh I've seen them, hence my comment. Come on, we all know the shows I'm talking about. Every chain park has at least one show with a few random performers lip-syncing or karaoke-ing to some top 40 soundtrack. I've never understood why these shows are so prevalent when they rarely have much of an audience, but it seems like some parks just want to check off the box for "live performances". Sometimes even certain SDC performances fall into the vein, but at least here we always get actual singing and usually a backing band.

There are some good, or at least entertaining, shows here and there of course. Not saying they are ALL bad.

My point remains that SDC is special in their emphasis and execution of stage shows, and it would be a shame to drop the ball by not replacing Wonderful Life with another good show.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2018, 11:00:38 PM »
I've never understood why these shows are so prevalent when they rarely have much of an audience,

Now I know you’ve never been because they’re standing room only at Winterfest and Holiday in the Park.  The living nativity at SF packs the Palace and that place is huge.  The “karaoke” show in the Empire is always full and the show in Miss Kitty’s is always full too.  Over at WOF, any show in the Moulin Rouge is standing room only even in the summer.  The show in Tivoli was pretty full too every time I went. 

The same thing with the Texas SF parks during HITP.
Yes, SDC shows are good, but they don’t have the monopoly on being the only parks with well attended Christmas productions
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2018, 03:02:55 PM »
I hope to check out HITP soon. The only time I've seen full crowds at the shows I was referring to was when people just wanted to get some air conditioning... but I digress. My point was that SDC is special in that they have such great shows and they need to keep pushing it instead of letting it drop off when Wonderful Life leaves. If the competition is picking up, that's all the more reason.

Anyway, sounds like they are doing an actual announcement thing this year? Perhaps just getting in line with modern social media trends since everyone is hyping every announcement these days. KD hyped the announcement of a coaster REMOVAL.

I'm guessing the pumpkin festival is about to be announced.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2018, 05:16:29 PM »
As long as the craft festival keeps going they can call the fall festival whatever they like.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2018, 02:48:09 PM »
Looking forward to the announcement Friday and seeing what it is.  They've managed to be pretty tight lipped about this one, but I have started to hear some rumbling this week that it might involve a lot of water next year.  Hopefully they'll make the announcement rapidly.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2018, 07:24:22 PM »
Looking forward to the announcement Friday and seeing what it is.  They've managed to be pretty tight lipped about this one, but I have started to hear some rumbling this week that it might involve a lot of water next year.  Hopefully they'll make the announcement rapidly.

Is WhiteWater worth the effort anymore?

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2018, 02:10:11 PM »
Water? Rapidly? Lost River?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2018, 02:23:22 PM »
lol, I just realized how long it's been since I even thought about White Water. This SHOULD be a year for them to get a new attraction. It's been forever, and it's presumably an "off" year for SDC.

As for the rumors of a water ride at SDC being replaced... we'll see. I'd be surprised if they announce that this week since you don't want people to skip a year to come back when the new ride is ready. That's why they always keep mum about new coasters even when they are half-built a year in advance. Plus, I am still thinking they might go a different direction and rehabilitate something else, like FM or FiTH.

We're probably just going to get show/festival announcements, but there's some possibilities here.