Author Topic: SDC's 2019 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 133569 times)

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
Re: SDC's 2019 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 06:30:46 AM »
I straight up asked about this while up there on opening day and was directly told by some pretty big names that the current entrance/exit will remain as it is. They explained to me that everything from the square to the ticket booths is considered as historical property that will be preserved. They are however in the planning stages of building a secondary entrance/exit. The old parking lot by Grand Expo being the likely future site. Not sure how that will work logistically with the trams/buses, but we will see.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 06:33:53 AM by sdcfan88 »

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2018, 07:22:49 AM »
They are however in the planning stages of building a secondary entrance/exit. The old parking lot by Grand Expo being the likely future site. Not sure how that will work logistically with the trams/buses, but we will see.
In the 90's we used an entrance that was built into Shad's shack down next to the bathrooms at the red gold hall.  You could park in the employee parking and they had an entrance in this area.  It may have been for busses ext. but I remember using it because there was no line.  This would make sense when they are parking people down near Notch to funnel them in this way.  My only issue is this is prime real estate back there.  That parking lot is flat and needs almost no prep for additional expansion.  I would think they will soon fold this into the park.  Its close to 76 but if you consider what other parks have done near roadways (ToonTown and Tomorrow land in DL) You can effectively block the sights and the sounds of the road with buildings and a few trees behind them.  However, I don't know that is as much of a concern as it once was.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 07:28:33 AM by mhguy77 »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2018, 08:51:22 AM »
That would be interesting... it would indicate that they are looking to add parking somewhere on that side, even if it is a continuation of their satellite parking. 76 will need a major widening, and possibly a dedicated tram lane... or perhaps a monorail? Works for Alton Towers.

The current employee parking lot is probably the next lot that can be greatly expanded to lot 5 size. Or it would be the perfect spot for the resort.

That side of the park is the best expansion space though, so I'd prefer that they kept the entrance where it is and expanded it to include a pathway around the other side of the sinkhole. Reunion Hall could probably be sacrificed to the cause, but certainly not the mine/mill.

I'm not looking for much of anything to happen in 2019 though. They really spent their wad for the time being and need some ROI to recharge. Between the Christmas event, TT, and rebuilding the skillet area, it feels like they've already been spending more than usual.

Then again, they've got some serious momentum here...

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2018, 04:09:01 PM »
If they build a resort there and maybe have some type of public transport connection (Gondola's?) I could see a 2nd entrance.  Or some type of a VIP parking entrance?  They won't get buses/trams over there from the other lots without using 76.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2018, 08:35:40 PM »
Don't they own all the way out to the apartments as well out in the woods beyond the train loop?  If you google maps you can see.  Some where on here they had  a"ownership" map.  I think there would be room for a resort and transport through the woods.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2018, 08:37:13 AM »
I’m calling it now.  2019 will be a “show year”
SWOOSH

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2018, 11:31:02 AM »
Do you think we'll see another Christmas "expansion" like they did in 2017? From the crowd reports, that seemed to be a very popular attraction.

I wonder if they would ever construct a "snow hill" like they do at the Six Flags parks? Or an ice skating rink?

Jay

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2018, 11:55:02 AM »
A show year is about what I expect. Still hope to see work start on some general infrastructure/crowd flow improvements.

I can't see any more Christmas expansion because of how much they spent last year plus the fact that they literally can't fit any more people into the park on busy Christmas weekends.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2018, 01:42:34 PM »
I can't see any more Christmas expansion because of how much they spent last year plus the fact that they literally can't fit any more people into the park on busy Christmas weekends.

The issue is that SDC is no longer the only park around that does Christmas stuff.  What they need to do is move Living Nativity to Dockside so that they can have animals.  Both WOF and SFSTL have camels, donkeys, sheep and other animals for their versions.  Having it at Dockside would allow for a petting zoo between shows (like WOF). 

They could then put their “World Fest at Christmas” show In Riverfront Playhouse and leave Red Gold for another musical. 
SWOOSH

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2018, 02:43:06 PM »

So....your saying not to expect anything....lol

Every year is a show year.

I don't expect another major ride or expansion for a few years....hopefully they invest a bit into the classics though.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2018, 03:19:28 PM »

I don't expect another major ride or expansion for a few years....hopefully they invest a bit into the classics though.

Not exactly.  “Show Years” come the season after a large capex.  The park makes a big deal about these big name acts they’re bringing in. 
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2018, 08:23:12 AM »

The park makes a big deal about these big name acts they’re bringing in.

I giggled, big name, good one.

Try mostly also ran.

Half Dollar Holler needs much love and a couple of kiddie rides.

The Grand Expo has really filled in canopy wise but that space between the kiddie coaster and ElectroSpin is screaming for something. That covered area is just wasted space.  There is a lack of seating under it, and the fountains aren't working. The shape of the area says a classic whip style ride would be perfect but a fireball would fit.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2018, 12:02:28 PM »

HDH does need something, It just never really took off like the PTB thought it would.
I dont know if a couple of small rides would do it..    BUT if they do something , I hope they encrorach on the bridge anymore than they already did

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2018, 12:49:19 PM »

HDH does need something, It just never really took off like the PTB thought it would.
I dont know if a couple of small rides would do it..    BUT if they do something , I hope they encrorach on the bridge anymore than they already did

That's just it. I walked across the bridge around 7:30 last night and looked down and saw emptyness. To the void on one side where the mini swing was at and the empty spot that the storytelling occasionally takes place on the other hand. It looks bad right now.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 04:33:40 PM by chittlins »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2018, 02:25:11 PM »

With it being an "off year" I think that now would be the time to move the bug rides over to HDH from GE.  The area where the bug rides are currently in GE can actually be walled off and used on down the road for a future expansion OR they could add a flyer and another flat ride that are relatively cheap.
SWOOSH