Author Topic: SDC's 2019 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 134709 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2019 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2018, 08:40:19 AM »
With it being an "off year" I think that now would be the time to move the bug rides over to HDH from GE.  The area where the bug rides are currently in GE can actually be walled off and used on down the road for a future expansion OR they could add a flyer and another flat ride that are relatively cheap.

My thought was something NEW at HDH,
maybe 2 or 3 smaller Kids Rides or attractions of some kind, 
Something that would generate a new found "excitement" in that area.

I just think that area is overlooked by the people...  They head downhill to the Expo, or All the way to FL.   
Need something to get them to stop and spend some time at HDH.   
Maybe the ladybugs, and another existing ride would do that..?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2018, 09:36:16 AM »
I'd still hate to see them smoosh rides in where they aren't really needed. HDH is fine. It's a big hit with the young kids in my family. They did leave an ugly hole that I would love to see filled in with landscaping, but other than that I'd rather they left it alone.

Plenty of room to add rides near Fireman's Landing and the expo without harming any more of the park's remaining ambiance and charm.

All I want in 2019 is a re-focus on making the festivals into a bigger deal again. Bluegrass and BBQ has slumped off to the point where it's just some extra BBQ in Red Gold Hall and a few random family bands (although they do get some credit for having Ricky Skaggs come in). The Craftsmen/Harvest festival is basically null at this point since so many of the old craftsmen aren't coming back. Festival of Wonder wasn't as extensive as it could be... Christmas and the Gospel festival seem to be the only festivals that are currently up to par.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2018, 11:04:34 AM »
I'd still hate to see them smoosh rides in where they aren't really needed. HDH is fine. It's a big hit with the young kids in my family. They did leave an ugly hole that I would love to see filled in with landscaping, but other than that I'd rather they left it alone.

Plenty of room to add rides near Fireman's Landing and the expo without harming any more of the park's remaining ambiance and charm.

All I want in 2019 is a re-focus on making the festivals into a bigger deal again. Bluegrass and BBQ has slumped off to the point where it's just some extra BBQ in Red Gold Hall and a few random family bands (although they do get some credit for having Ricky Skaggs come in). The Craftsmen/Harvest festival is basically null at this point since so many of the old craftsmen aren't coming back. Festival of Wonder wasn't as extensive as it could be... Christmas and the Gospel festival seem to be the only festivals that are currently up to par.

Agreed with everything in this post. I would like the area where HDH to maintain the charm it has left. I would love for 2019 to be a focus on the festivals. It would be great if each festival received at least one major addition that really improved its quality, similar to what Christmas in Midtown achieved last year.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

pintrader

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2018, 02:01:37 PM »
I am not sure what more they could do with the Bluegrass & Barbecue Festival.  They have a lot more than just Ricky Skaggs.  I mean 8 time female vocalist of the year Rhonda Vincent, 7 time vocal group of the year Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver, The Gibson Brothers, The Grascals and 60 other acts throughout the festival.  They also have the Youth In Bluegrass which started at the gazebo in 2001 then moved to the Riverfront Playhouse and now is at the Opera House, and has standing room only there now.  I think in 2015 Bluegrass & Barbecue was voted the IBMA event of the year and is always at the top of the list.  D.A. Callaway has been voted promoter of the year by SPBGMA I believe 4 times since 2012.  The barbecue at Red Gold is really good and reasonably priced.   I think it is a fantastic festival and very hard to improve upon.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2018, 04:42:45 PM »
I am not sure what more they could do with the Bluegrass & Barbecue Festival.  They have a lot more than just Ricky Skaggs.  I mean 8 time female vocalist of the year Rhonda Vincent, 7 time vocal group of the year Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver, The Gibson Brothers, The Grascals and 60 other acts throughout the festival.  They also have the Youth In Bluegrass which started at the gazebo in 2001 then moved to the Riverfront Playhouse and now is at the Opera House, and has standing room only there now.  I think in 2015 Bluegrass & Barbecue was voted the IBMA event of the year and is always at the top of the list.  D.A. Callaway has been voted promoter of the year by SPBGMA I believe 4 times since 2012.  The barbecue at Red Gold is really good and reasonably priced.   I think it is a fantastic festival and very hard to improve upon.

As for the BBQ part - I would expect a BBQ contest - at least for one day - bring in a few trucks for a day and have both an official contest and a SDC customer contest - They would have to offer samples from each vendor (either with an overall ticket or individual sales).

I assume they might have a hard time finding trucks to give up a weekend of regular sales though.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2018, 04:55:03 PM »
Here is what  I would like to see. Cut out the festivals on the holiday weekends totally. Bluegrass  on Memorial day ? ZIP.  Gospel Music on Labor day. Cut it out and give something everyone can enjoy.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2018, 07:28:03 PM »

As for the BBQ part - I would expect a BBQ contest - at least for one day - bring in a few trucks for a day and have both an official contest and a SDC customer contest - They would have to offer samples from each vendor (either with an overall ticket or individual sales).

I assume they might have a hard time finding trucks to give up a weekend of regular sales though.

Where would they park the trucks?...

IF they had a real contest, and the competitors accepted the invitation, there could be 75-100 trucks/booths.. or  easily more.. 
Cant put those in the park for 1 day.?   
Maybe make a 2 day event out of it?   BUT?  same questions. Where would you park the trucks?

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2018, 08:21:06 PM »

I like what they used to do, and I'm not sure why they quit.  They used to have several BBQ places from a reasonable radius set up in Red Gold and sell their goods.  At various times it's included Famous Dave's, Hawg Wild (sadly now out of business), I believe Buckingham's, and several others.  Then in the last couple of years they pretty much eliminated all of the outsiders and went with just their own, and it's a shadow of what it was.  While it wasn't a "contest" per se, there was the option to walk around and get samples from a bunch of places and have your own personal contest. 

and the smell as you rode by on the train...   oh, that used to drive us crazy but we loved it.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2018, 10:32:13 AM »

Where would they park the trucks?...

IF they had a real contest, and the competitors accepted the invitation, there could be 75-100 trucks/booths.. or  easily more.. 
Cant put those in the park for 1 day.?   
Maybe make a 2 day event out of it?   BUT?  same questions. Where would you park the trucks?

That's why I would say limit it to just a few participants....maybe 4-6.  But your right....I they might not be able to park there trucks in the park.  Most end up smoking all night long.  I assume they wouldn't let them in the park and cook overnight in the park.  Not sure if there is enough room around Red Gold outside for even 4-6 of them.

Not to mention the trucks would be direct competition with SDCs own restaurants for our dollars.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2018, 10:05:19 PM »
It's a big hit with the young kids in my family. They did leave an ugly hole that I would love to see filled in with landscaping, but other than that I'd rather they left it alone.

Our son loves the treehouse structure and can spend quite a bit a time there going through it time after time. If anything, an additional treehouse structure with slides could be a good addition. Maybe replace the sand an story area with an additional structure and connect it to the existing one with a bridge over the middle. It's nice to have a place for him to play and spend some energy and not just wait in line for a ride.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2018, 09:28:17 AM »
It's a big hit with the young kids in my family. They did leave an ugly hole that I would love to see filled in with landscaping, but other than that I'd rather they left it alone.

Our son loves the treehouse structure and can spend quite a bit a time there going through it time after time. If anything, an additional treehouse structure with slides could be a good addition. Maybe replace the sand an story area with an additional structure and connect it to the existing one with a bridge over the middle. It's nice to have a place for him to play and spend some energy and not just wait in line for a ride.

Glad to hear your kids enjoy that area, as-is.. 
So oftem we dont hear that story, we hear bad things, or negative feedback or ill-feelings..
I am sure there are many families that like the area, But it just doenst seem to be a big draw for families..

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2018, 01:10:02 PM »
So with so many things ending and/or not coming back for Cowboy Fest.  How much do you bet we get our own version of The Great Pumpkin LumiNights at Dollywood next year as a replacement?
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2018, 01:49:13 PM »
I forgot about that, but I would say highly likely. I knew it was just a matter of time when I saw the crowd reports at DW. I will miss the cowboys and crafts, but this is what is hot right now and the true craftspeople just aren't around much anymore.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2018, 06:51:51 PM »
As far as craftsman, I know a few who've left.  One of the reasons is because they aren't allowed to do their craft, but must meet a quota of pushing out craft crap instead of real craftsmanship.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2018, 06:53:12 PM »
Did I miss something? What's not coming back to the Cowboy Fest?