Author Topic: Eclipse.........  (Read 6306 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Eclipse.........
« on: August 20, 2017, 01:16:00 PM »
 We all know about it..  Plans..?

Me?  nothing special..  watch the TV reruns, and wait for you tube videos...  I am going to take pictures outside at the peak to show show "dark" it is....

what are you going to do tomorrow for the eclipse?

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: Eclipse.........
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 01:24:36 PM »
Sitting in my backyard near Perryville, Mo.  holding a cold brew watching. We are supposed to get around 2 Minutes 30 seconds of totality. I can drive about 20 minutes and get another 10 seconds but I think I would rather stay put at home. I am just going to enjoy the totality and not mess with my camera even though I bought the filter for it.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 02:42:19 PM »
I live in "Evlipse Central".  Jeff City is being overrun with people.  NASA is here as well.  Commutes to Columbia for work tomorrow will be hell.  The designated viewing area in Columbia is right across the street from my school so it's going to take forever to even get out of our parking lot let alone South on 63. 

School is in session but we're only doing half day of classes the outside as a school to watch. 
I'm ready for it to be done.  They've hyped the hell out of it.  Whatever will people have to talk about when Tuesday comes?
SWOOSH

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 04:56:47 PM »
We'll have 94-95% of total where I live, which is plenty good enough for me.  I'm sure I'll step out at the high point and take some photos or something.  But otherwise no plans.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 10:28:09 PM »
The hype has been insane...its just a rock that gets in the way for a few minutes.  Good luck to you total eclipsers....lol...I'll wonder out of the office to see it go 91% dark.  If....the clouds stay away.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 10:36:58 PM »
News confirmed tonight that all hotels and camp sites within 50-60 miles of Jeff City/Columbia are booked solid.

Debating on whether I'll need to leave for work earlier or not.   I don't plan on getting in a hurry to go home tomorrow.

We have people from as far away as Denmark in town ... Why?
SWOOSH

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 10:42:17 PM »
I have no plans for it (only 58% blockage in northern New Hampshire), but I was disappointed to see that A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court isn't playing on any cable channels.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 05:17:21 AM »
I will be at work, so we will most likely step outside & check it out.  8)
Live life like it's the last day!

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 07:17:09 AM »

We have people from as far away as Denmark in town ... Why?

Because people who are interested in astronomy and science are just as avid as Theme park junkies. Its all in what you like.

The Perryville MO, Carbondale, Makanda Illinois area have all had weekend long festivals in conjunction. Everyone is having a great time with lots of fun activities.

JJH

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 08:01:42 AM »
I live in COMO and the town doesn't seem much (if any) worse than a football weekend when we have a good year.  The weather isn't perfect so that definitely reduced the number of people.  As for ""why" the excitement over the total eclipse, it is one of those "if you have to ask" type of things.  I have had the opportunity to see one, and it was absolutely one of the best memories I have. 

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 09:19:27 AM »
Whatever will people have to talk about when Tuesday comes?

I would guess we will hear about the fools that burned their eyes because they didnt take precautions.... that and the accidents and road mishaps caused my people not paying attention to the road ;)

supposed to be cloudy here today, and is cloudy right now...

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 09:27:33 AM »
My husband is a security guard at a bank in St. Louis. He's taking his lunch around the time of totality so I'm going up there to see it with him. It's a 20 minute drive from our house to there without traffic... I'm hoping everyone is where they intend to be by the time I head out. I'm only going to see the total eclipse. I'm not waiting around to see the whole thing.

Every single park near me is having a festival for the eclipse. We spent all weekend fighting tons of RVs and Greyhounds trying to make it down the highway.

My husband and I are huge nerds for anything to do with space so we've been getting news and updates way before the eclipse was "trending." We were very excited for this "once in a lifetime" event, but now they're saying another one is happening in 2024. I could see that one too by traveling a few hours. It kinda takes the magic out of it knowing that...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 10:20:01 AM by tiffanylynnt »
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 02:12:57 PM »
What a amazing natural phenomena. The moment of totality was surreal. As a side note my hummingbirds went totally crazy during it. They swarmed the feeders then after were just flying abound in a confused state.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 03:42:02 PM »
Well?, survived that one.... LOL.  next one for the U.S. is in 2024. 

start preparing now..  glasses should be on sale on CL tomorrow cheap!!

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 03:54:43 PM »
Yeah I went to Nashville, TN and got lots of photos and video.

Also making my first ever visit to Dollywood on Wednesday. (this was way overdue lol)

« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 04:02:59 PM by sdcfan88 »