Author Topic: Worlds of Fun Developments.  (Read 8828 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Worlds of Fun Developments.
« on: August 06, 2017, 12:04:24 PM »
This thread is being created to discuss any new additions or improvements made at Worlds of Fun.
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
Re: Worlds of Fun Developments.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 01:04:47 PM »
The park will announce its new for 2018 additions on August 16th with the rest of the parks in the Cedar Fair chain.  The rumor is that the park will announce 1-2 additional flat rides.  It is also rumored that the park will be removing the classic Huss Rotor ride (Finnish Fling) at the conclusion of the 2017 season due to a "lack of available parts"
SWOOSH

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 02:26:19 PM »
The park will announce its new for 2018 additions on August 16th with the rest of the parks in the Cedar Fair chain.  The rumor is that the park will announce 1-2 additional flat rides.  It is also rumored that the park will be removing the classic Huss Rotor ride (Finnish Fling) at the conclusion of the 2017 season due to a "lack of available parts"

That is a terrible rumor.....Finnish Fling is such a unique ride....it's a real 'memory maker' type of ride that families can do together.  I've always wondered why there are not more of them at more parks?  It also seems like a fairly safe ride too.  Maybe they can find some type of modernized version.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 02:52:10 PM »
Most parks had a Rotor at one time.  They've all been removed for the same reason. 
SWOOSH

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 09:12:25 PM »
If that's what happens, it makes me even more grateful that we got rides on the rotor last month when we were there.  it was so neat to get a chance to ride one again because of how many have disappeared.  Hate that they are removing them, but I also understand- they're not worth the cost of maintaining them, especially with lower rider numbers than many rides.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 11:56:10 AM »
Is Cedar looking to dump Worlds of Fun in a sale?

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 02:17:20 PM »

WoF has never exactly been a focus park for the company....its' not regionally associated with any other CF parks.....has strong regional competition to deal with.  I would assume it would be on the list of available parks if CF is looking to unload.

It's not a knock on the park....it just is what it is.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 03:01:13 PM »
Didn't they try really hard back in 2009 and just couldn't find a buyer? I heard Merlin is sniffing around the BG parks. Seems like they could be looking to expand, but WOF really isn't their kind of resort park. Maybe they could make it into one. You'd almost expect HFEC to bid, but they didn't bite last time and it would probably be another CC situation with gate cannibalization one way or another.

Too bad about the finnish fling, that's one of the last originals for the park. Frontier City's version (relocated from SFOT) is one of the oldest and last remaining.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 03:17:26 PM »

Nope.  Cedar Fair is no longer looking to sell any of its parks.  Also it's not like this park is neglected.  They poured a large amount of money into the park this season.  While 2018 will be a "lower cap" season, the plan is to continue to work on infrastructure as 2019 is going to be a BIG year...

it wasn't a secret that SDC was adding a coaster in 2018, why try to compete against that when you can wait a year and get more bang for your buck while SDC "rides the wave" from the previous year.
SWOOSH

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 02:54:15 PM »
Random thought and question....

Does WoF still have the riverboats?

WoF was my 'home park' growing up and randomly thought about them the other day.  Always thought they where really neat when I was little.  They where probably a lot bigger in my childs mind then in real life too.  I haven't been in 5-6 years and don't recall seeing them last time.  Figured they got old and CF didn't want to maintain them.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 04:16:44 PM »
Technically the only one that's still there is the Henrietta, but you'd have to know that's what it was to even recognize it.  It's just the hull.  The Cotton Blossom was removed before 1996 and RipCord is there now.  The Victrix was removed long before that.  The little boat models  that were near Finnish Fling are gone as well. 
SWOOSH

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 06:57:33 PM »
Thats right....I do remember them taking that out for the Ripcord now:(  I remember being mesmerized by the ripcord when it was first put in.....but I was too chicken and cheap to try.

I'm guessing the RC boats are gone too?  Another flashback memory.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 07:00:43 PM by HumphreyHawk »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 07:33:09 PM »
Thats right....I do remember them taking that out for the Ripcord now:(  I remember being mesmerized by the ripcord when it was first put in.....but I was too chicken and cheap to try.

I'm guessing the RC boats are gone too?  Another flashback memory.

Yeah all the RC are long gone. 
SWOOSH

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 07:40:21 PM »
What's the deal with Zulu?  (in Seinfeld voice)

Zula really been down all year?  Shooting Gallery is gone?  Fling is going?

There isn't much left that I remember from my childhood - Maybe Timberwolf, Voyager, Nile, Bamboozle?, la taxi.  I know parks have to evolve and change....but this is making me feel too old.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2018, 10:31:17 PM »
what happened to the dinosaur by the balloon at the entrance to the park? its gone..
Live life like it's the last day!