Author Topic: Christmas at Silver Dollar City  (Read 34140 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Christmas at Silver Dollar City
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2017, 11:18:43 AM »
The only reason to be in that area anyway is cinnamon bread

That's a problem unto itself.

I agree.  It never makes it to the car.
SWOOSH

kbosch1

• McCoy
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2017, 11:25:47 AM »

That's a problem unto itself.

I agree.  It never makes it to the car.

With our family, we're good to make it out of the store with it still in tact.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2017, 09:46:26 AM »

[/quote]

Hmm?  I kinda like them apple turnovers too ;D

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2017, 04:49:01 PM »
^Can you be more careful when you quote?  You have a bad habit of deleting part of the code
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2017, 11:28:06 AM »
^Can you be more careful when you quote?  You have a bad habit of deleting part of the code

Maybe..?   ???

I will watch that..

But typically I try to only copy and quote the part of the statement I am responding too.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2017, 08:10:56 PM »
If you are cutting down a quote, remember that there is an opening [ quote ] tag and a closing [ /quote ] tag (no spaces between the brackets). 

Is October too early to start playing Christmas music? I'm ready for it.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2017, 10:14:06 AM »
If you are cutting down a quote, remember that there is an opening [ quote ] tag and a closing [ /quote ] tag (no spaces between the brackets). 

Is October too early to start playing Christmas music? I'm ready for it.

Yup, I think it's a little early!  ;D   I was at the City yesterday, and while there wasn't any Christmas music, the lights were on in several areas as workers were stapling them to structures.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2017, 01:24:04 PM »
Yup, I think it's a little early!  ;D   I was at the City yesterday, and while there wasn't any Christmas music, the lights were on in several areas as workers were stapling them to structures.

It's never to early to play Christmas music!  lol

they've actually been putting the lights on since the end of July.  If they don't start that early, they'll never get them done in time.  it's a huge project that has a dedicated crew of guys that are actually on it year round.  In January they start taking all of the lights down which takes a while as well, then in the off season it's a process of checking every light string and bulb, rotating the strings of lights so that older strings are pulled out of service, newer ones are reused, and brand new strings are brought in, and a lot of other work.

Add to that the huge amount of welding that they had added onto their workload this year to build all of the new props, flats, and structures for the Christmas in midtown, and it's a huge amount of work.

BTW, the new globe  could be spotted in the Red Gold parking lot near it's entrance today.  Similar to the one at Disney, but most certainly smaller by several feet.  (I got to see the Osborne lights- mounted and in pieces backstage- on a frequent basis when I worked at Disney) Talked to another one of the guys who helps to oversee a lot of that and he adamantly confirmed that while it was inspired by Disney, and some of it will look similar, ALL of it (flats, globe, angels, supports, and other props) was built in house.  They did use some photos of the Osborne lights at Disney as inspiration and models, but none of it came from Florida.  the only ones I've heard say that any of this came from Florida all have "mysterious sources" or aren't sure, but that is not what any of the guys who actually work on it, supervise it, or have overseen it have said.  And I've talked to several of them now.

Edit in:  I am aware of a truck of smaller props that came in, though the people that I've talked to about it weren't sure what was on it other than it wasn't anything large and may have included some angels.  But not sure where it came from.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 01:53:44 PM by sirwillow »
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2017, 03:29:33 PM »
I've seen crews out installing lights over the summer, but first time I saw them being installed while they were lit.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2017, 02:23:27 PM »
Finally get to put some of the rumors to rest, thanks to SandDuneRider's incredible pictures that she posted today. 

I've borrowed a few of them and put them in a gallery alongside several that I took of the Osborne Lights when I used to work down at Disney.  Going back and forth you can see the similarities, but you can also clearly see the differences in the pieces as well.  If you'd like to see them along with my notes in the captions, you can.  They're posted at:
https://sirwillow.smugmug.com/Amusement-Parks-Roller/Walt-Disney-World-Disney-MGM/Osborne-lights-vs-Silver-Dollar-Citys/i-Dc5j2JR

And thank you so much to SandDuneRider for letting me borrow a few of her great photos to do this.  :-)
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2017, 03:00:22 PM »
Wow! Thanks for the side-by-side comparison. I even grew up in West Little Rock and remember the Osborne Family Lights on their private residence long before Jennings Osborne gave them to Disney. I just assumed it was them, but after the side-by-side, its obvious they were 'inspired.'
You have a great past just ahead of you.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2017, 03:09:41 PM »
@ sirwillow..  Your welcome,

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2017, 11:00:15 AM »
If anyone would like to get a look at the finished product, there's a brief video on the SDC Fans Facebook page I shot on Saturday.  I've also got a ton of photos on my photo site.  You can see them at:
https://sirwillow.smugmug.com/Amusement-Parks-Roller/Mid-USA-TX-MO-OK-etc/Silver-Dollar-City-Christmas-in-Mid-Town
(start about page 7)

I'll have a full video preview posted to my youtube channel Tuesday or Wednesday.  :-)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2017, 07:17:09 AM »
Was there music from the speakers they installed in midtown? I could not tell with the video.
 I am surprised they don't do the fake snow unless that could cause a slippage problem on the sloped ground surface.  Very nice video!

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2017, 08:37:07 AM »
Was there music from the speakers they installed in midtown? I could not tell with the video.

I asked that question on the 2017 Project thread and no one answered me. Guess not.
You have a great past just ahead of you.