Author Topic: Christmas at Silver Dollar City  (Read 34151 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas at Silver Dollar City
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 03:58:06 PM »

I am thinking that you will be able to see that tree from almost the entire park.  I would easily say 70%.
You may not from FL, PK, GE but you may see it more than you think with it being lite and the foliage being gone.
Nor the square but it has a tree already.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 04:28:11 PM »
This will sure help disperse the crowd.  Will Midtown also have a music/light show?  Isn't that how it was displayed at Disney?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 08:43:04 PM »
Will Midtown also have a music/light show?  Isn't that how it was displayed at Disney?
I think there will be something maybe in between the big show with the tree ( needs updating).
Last time I was there they had good sized speakers all over mid town already installed ready to go.  Now I wonder how this will be used to make money or will it just be another attraction.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 07:28:31 AM by mhguy77 »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 09:55:42 PM »
Will Midtown also have a music/light show?  Isn't that how it was displayed at Disney?
I think there will be something maybe in between the big show with the tree ( needs updating).
Last time I was there they had good sized speakers all over mid town already installed ready to go so.  Now I wonder how this will be used to make money or will it just be another attraction.

Marketing.  They have a HUGE campaign coming down the pipes.  Expect a flood of commercials.
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2017, 07:29:16 AM »
Marketing.  They have a HUGE campaign coming down the pipes.  Expect a flood of commercials.

I look forward to the additions.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2017, 04:04:39 PM »
More than anything, it will spread out the crowd.  Lots of people have stories about the misery of the elbow-to-elbow experience of OTC.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2017, 05:11:02 PM »
 a lot of the Christmas at Midtown set pieces are up now.  I took some photos today, which you can see at
https://www.facebook.com/sirwillow/posts/10155767713240984

it actually looks like it's going to be pretty neat.  I wasnt' sure how it was going to work with the narrow walkways there, but I think it's going to end up pretty nice, with a more intimate feel and not being totally overwhelming like I was afraid of.  But still plenty of lights to make for a very, very neat experience.

Also I had a chance to talk to one of the guys in charge of this a few days ago (at a funeral of all things).  These are NOT the pieces that used to be at Walt Disney World.  They have built everything here from scratch- the frames, attaching the lights, wiring, everything.  He said that while there might be a few pieces that will look similar, all of it is original to SDC, and has not come from Florida.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2017, 08:37:20 PM »
"few"

So pretty much everything except the façades then?
I will say this for being "original to SDC" ... nope not buying it because I've heard otherwise
SWOOSH

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2017, 09:02:25 PM »
"few"

I will say this for being "original to SDC" ... nope not buying it because I've heard otherwise

Few as in Saturday and I've been busy since then and it's a low priority.  But I also talked to a couple of my friends who work in M&C today as well.  You can not buy it if you want (not that it was for sale) but since these are the guys that actually built the stuff, all of the stuff, themselves, I'm inclined to believe them.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2017, 09:11:28 PM »
Ok.
SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2017, 09:57:07 PM »
Some of the features are exactly the same - not just similar.  Too many coincidental similarities for them just to copy them outright.  I would think that if they were building their own things, that the globe, the banner, the tree, and others would be original designs.

The facades would have to fit specific building measurements, however, so I could understand that part being manufactured in house.  They're going to really immerse the crowd in that area when they are lit up.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2017, 11:01:23 PM »
"few"

Few as in Saturday and I've been busy since then and it's a low priority.  But I also talked to a couple of my friends who work in M&C today as well.  You can not buy it if you want (not that it was for sale) but since these are the guys that actually built the stuff, all of the stuff, themselves, I'm inclined to believe them.

Perhaps we just misunderstood what you wrote.  M&C did have to retire and restrain all of the set pieces that came from WDW.  That's what you meant, correct?  If so, forgive my earlier post.

Now if you are saying the large set pieces (globe, Santa/sleigh, angels, tree) were built by M&C from ground up then no that is not correct as they were literally shipped up here from Florida
SWOOSH

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2017, 10:00:17 PM »
I gotta say, the framing is ugly.  Does it detract from landscaping and decorations for the Fall festival?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2017, 10:03:02 PM »
I gotta say, the framing is ugly.  Does it detract from landscaping and decorations for the Fall festival?

Only if you're in Midtown and are really looking for it.  I mean it's obvious it's there but you don't have to look.
The only reason to be in that area anyway is cinnamon bread
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2017, 10:23:32 AM »
The only reason to be in that area anyway is cinnamon bread

That's a problem unto itself.