Author Topic: Christmas at Silver Dollar City  (Read 34145 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Christmas at Silver Dollar City
« on: August 03, 2017, 11:29:19 PM »
Thought I would let everyone know that SDC filed trademarks for the following:

Christmas at Silver Dollar City
Christmas in the City

I'm wondering if we will see a change in names from An Old Time Christmas to one of these two in 2018. 
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Christmas at Silver Dollar City
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 08:38:44 AM »
Well that would be... lame. Old Time Christmas is perfect. Why bother modernizing it? Do they think the youngin's are turned off by the word "old" now?  ::)

I'd wager these are just extra terms they'll use in conjunction, but you never know these days...

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 08:52:36 AM »
Agreed with Shave. Both those names are just boring and way too generic. Old Time Christmas fits the park perfectly in my opinion.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 08:58:41 AM »
I agree with Coaster - they are generic and boring.  They really have no meaning.  Old Time Christmas puts an image in your head, and that should be their goal.  I think even youngins get that picture and would want it to remain. 

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 09:10:40 AM »
...At least it's not "Holidays at Silver Dollar City"  ;)  :o   ::)  :P
You have a great past just ahead of you.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 09:24:55 AM »
..At least it's not "Holidays at Silver Dollar City"  ;)  :o   ::)  :P
I don't think SDC would ever go the route of "Happy Holidays"  but you never know.  It's a corporation now not a family affair.  I am of the strong belief that corporations have no soul and are proud of it.  When "Happy Holidays" comes along my seasons' pass will be retired.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 09:33:10 PM »
SDC posts Bible verses weekly to all their social media accounts. I don't think we have any reason for them to go the 'Happy Holidays' route.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 01:01:41 AM »
I could live with Silver Dollar Christmas

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 08:32:57 AM »
Well that would be... lame. Old Time Christmas is perfect. Why bother modernizing it? Do they think the youngin's are turned off by the word "old" now?  ::)

I'd wager these are just extra terms they'll use in conjunction, but you never know these days...

Agreed..  "Old Time Christmas"  is pretty easy to understand at what to expect. ;D

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 10:03:40 AM »
it would be foolish to lose the old time christmas title. The trademarked names are very bland. My 27 year old wife (at the time) went ooooo when she heard "old time" bedore the first time she went. Its what made it easy for me to talk her into going.
Im going to make an assumption, and it could be totally false, but I know the powers that be read this board from time to time. Like I said might be false now and this whole trademark might have nothing to do with a re naming, probably doesnt. Also I could be false in what im about to assume about some of the current PTB.
But I believe there is someone on the higher up, or maybe a few, who would like to get away from the old time themeing or don't think its that important, or would rather go with a cookie cutter approach to it. I believe this is a mistake or would be for a few reasons. The classic themeing has two effects on people. Either they:
1. Love it. For people like me its part of why I choose sdc and pass numerous closer parks to get there. For a lot of SDC faithful, its part of what keeps us coming back.
2. Or they are indifferent. It doesnt matter to them, might find some elements cool, but they wanna ride the new coaster. They might come back they might not. As long as there is stuff to do.
NO ONE hates it. As long as there is ac in the summer, heat and lights in the winter, people do not hate the old themeing.
I think its foolish for one to assume that more people would come if you dropped the old time, or if you got away from classic theme of sdc, or that it doesnt matter. Quite the opposite actually. I also think its very foolish to think millenials or the next generation dont care about or dont like the old time 1880s theme of the park. I think a lot DO like it, especially millenials like me with kids. Just because we have iphones doesnt mean we dont like some good 1880s ozarks hillbilly theme. Its what sets sdc apart and gets people coming back.
Now i think sdc is doin a good job had a good trip this year. Im just throwing this out there in case these felings exist within the PTB now or do at any time in the future.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

kbosch1

• McCoy
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 12:49:01 PM »
Some information about 2017 Christmas additions in today's Live Stream at the 48:00 mark of the video.

https://youtu.be/Fwn6VfSVQC4

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 08:47:05 AM »
Looking forward to seeing Midtown this year.. The lights and New Facades will be great along with the new displays.

I did find it humorous the way Brad described the new Christmas Tree on Midtown...

"90 feet tall from the top of the tree to the street"...

Of course "we" know the tree will be sitting on the platform where the old treehouse was which is probably 30 - 40  feet off the street already... ;D

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 08:56:23 AM »
Looking forward to seeing Midtown this year.. The lights and New Facades will be great along with the new displays.

I did find it humorous the way Brad described the new Christmas Tree on Midtown...

Of course "we" know the tree will be sitting on the platform where the old treehouse was which is probably 30 - 40  feet off the street already... ;D

Yes! I got a good laugh out of that too.  ;D
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 09:11:47 AM »

He said it would be on a platform about 30 feet in the air and then went on to say that it would be 90 feet from the star to the street.  FTR - the platform will be decorated as a large gift so technically it would count as part of the tree
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 12:49:35 PM »

[/quote]

He said it would be on a platform about 30 feet in the air and then went on to say that it would be 90 feet from the star to the street.  FTR - the platform will be decorated as a large gift so technically it would count as part of the tree
[/quote]

I missed him saying it would be on a platform..... I thought I was listening close.... LOL..  guess not ::)