Author Topic: Gluten Free at SDC!  (Read 1663 times)

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Gluten Free at SDC!
« on: August 01, 2017, 05:18:47 PM »
This post isn't for everyone, but I have to commend SDC for their efforts to provide a safe meal for visitors with celiac. Hubs and I purchased tickets for Dessert on the Porch, even though I planned to take my own gluten free dessert in order to be safe.  One of the ladies at the Culinary School let me know that they were preparing a cheese and gf cracker plate with fresh fruit for me. She wanted me to verify that the packaged food they bought would be ok, and also, let me know the fruit would not be served cut because they didn't want any airborne flour to land on it, thus making me sick. I can't speak highly enough about this experience!  SDC rocks!

Each food vendor has a notebook that lists every ingredient listed at their stand.  While there are many gluten free choices on park, there are only a few I feel confident recommending mostly because of shared surface contact, utensils, etc.  Here are my favorites -

- hand cut potato chips. Most of the seasonings are gluten free.  Ask about them - I haven't ckd out all of them.
- spiral potatoes on a stick. Again, ck the seasonings served on the side
- spiral potatoes w/hot dog.  They use Nathan hot dogs
- kettle corn - nothing in the pot but corn, oil, sugar
- pork rinds - I haven't ckd out the bbq rinds, but a very thorough cleaning goes on before they switch flavors.
- ice cream - If you ask, they will wash the scoop and dip yours from an untouched container of ice cream
- Copper Kettle Candy - 90% of the products sold are made on site.  They make only one type of fudge, truffles
   per day so little chance of contact.
- Taffy Shop - all flavors of taffy are safe
- Frozen lemonade
- Call ahead of time and they will bring a g free Shephed's Pie to you at your chosen time/place.  I haven't tried
    this.

There are many other places, including the buffets, that offer gluten free, but most celiacs would never risk anything from a buffet.  If you can verify something safe that I haven't tried, please add to this post.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 05:43:44 PM by Gilligan »