Author Topic: Last Rides for the Georgia Cyclone at SFOG  (Read 2908 times)

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Last Rides for the Georgia Cyclone at SFOG
« on: July 21, 2017, 04:55:54 PM »
Read in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette that the 27 year old Georgia Cyclone wooden roller coaster at Six Flags Over Georgia will be closing later this month. It will be torn down to make room for a new ride.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Last Rides for the Georgia Cyclone at SFOG
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 05:55:27 PM »
*it will be modified by RMC
SWOOSH

coasterdad

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 06:15:02 PM »
RMC has rapidly become the best thing in the theme park industry

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 09:09:10 PM »
They've become the wooden coaster equivalent of what B&M did to steel coasters.  For me that means that any coaster that is even the slightest bit rough is no longer enjoyable. 
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 09:38:53 PM »
I'm super conflicted with RMC because I love their rides and like that they are recycling these husks of decrepit rides, but at the same time I love wooden coasters in their "natural" form and I am still pissed that so many parks allowed the age of awesome mega woodies to crumble into unenjoyable messes.

Everyone hated Mean Streak at the end. No one remembers how awesome it was in its first decade or so. The memory of coaster geeks is too short. It's a travesty how cheap so many parks are that great rides are allowed to slip away just because.

I also think it's kind of sad that this was the last of the set of three Cyclone tributes that were built across the country. I really wanted to ride all of them when they were still standing so I could eventually compare it to the real thing. If they had given an actual warning about this one closing, I probably would have made plans to head out there and ride it.

Oh well, this industry moves in waves and hopefully after the RMC conversion wave is done we'll eventually see a resurgence of the "classic" wooden coaster, perhaps this time with more robust track.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 09:07:58 AM »
I'm grateful I managed to get on 3 of the Cyclone "clones" (Astroworld's, SFoG, and Psyclone at SFMM)  The one in Texas was probably my favorite of the three.  SFMM's was just horrible, even early on, and got worse as time went on.  I don't remember SFoG's being particularly bad, but I don't recall it as really good either (that was back in 2004)  One of these days I'll get to the original.

But I agree with you.  I'd like to see some of the parks take care of the woodies instead of scrapping them like this.  Roar in California didn't need a makeover.  It was a great little coaster, if it did need a little TLC.   I love RMC, but very mixed feelings about all the makeovers.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 08:49:14 PM »
We are supposed to go to Stone Mountain for the Country Living crafts fair and I was going to take the kids to SF while the wimmens got their shop on. It'll be closed.

They are making plenty of woodies.............in China

Check out this tight mess of a compact by GCI going up in Chengdu.

Hopefully I'll ride this in 2021

That piece of Steel track you see... B&M Dive coaster.
Two American exports.